Toddler Sitting "W"

My 27 weeker, now 3 years old in a "w" sitter at preschool they teach him criss cross apple sauce (indian style). He does it! He also has low muscle tone. Can all of this be related to his speech delay?

11 replies. Join the discussion

There can be many explanations for speech delays. Kids with generalized low muscle tone (in limbs and trunkal area) tend to sit in the "W" sit in order to maintain their balance. The "W" is not neccesarily related to speech delay. However, if he also has low tone in his oral muscles, it could have the same cause. Are there more areas of development he shows delays in? For example his cognitive (thinking) skills! Have you spoken with his teachers about your questions? although it is often said that former preemies should run in their delay by the time they are 2 years of age, this is often not the case. Maybe your child is still working on catching up!

My girls are 21 months old (actual) and would sit that way most of the time if we allowed it. We spend lots of time "helping" them to sit in other positions! The PT hates it:) It seems to have improved some, but it is still pretty bad! Was you son ever a part of your state's EI or ECI program (before he was 3)?? Did they offer any advise? I also wanted to mention that my girls were borm at 29 weeks, are closing in on 2 years old (actual) and still quite delayed for their age. I do not see them being caught up by 2 years of age (not even 2 years adjusted). We will see! Maybe lijn is correct and he is just running behind in the "catching up" department. Do you see evidence of that in other areas? I would constantly remind him of the criss cross applesauce or whatever works for now. Have you discussed with your ped?? Let me know if you get any good advise about about how to stop mine from doing it 1000 times a day:) And I will do the same!!Good luck to you and your little one!!

Low tone in his oral muscles, who would diagnose this and what treatment would be good. Another form of diet? Both of the twins are improving in the school system. Both talking more. Rod is being evaluated by a ot this coming week, in ref to the w sitting. I will let you know the outcome.
Thanks

mylittleangels--
i've never heard of a correlation between "W" sitting and speech delay; if so, it definitely does not seem to apply in my daughter's case. lynsey naturally gravitates towards the "W" sitting position and would probably always sit that way if i allowed her to do so, but she is quite advanced in speech and language. she does however, have some low tone in her oral muscles and has yet to progress from pureed foods as the bulk of her meals even though she'll be 2 next month.

m-and-d-mommy--
i love your new picture! i see your girls are elmo fans...my daughter too! elmo is the only one who seems to take precedence over mommy...so jealous! :)

my son is 22 months(actual) and has speech delay and fluctuating tone throughout his body. His occupational therapist has said that the reason kids sit in the W position is that it helps them balance their body and gives them a sense of control when they are sitting. The best thing you can do is when you see they are sitting that way move them to sit properly and do so as much as possible. Now for me that's not so easy as Blake has an older sibling but I try as much as I can. They have also said that as they continue to develop and their muscles become stronger they will stop needing so much balance and start moving away from sitting that way. I have never heard of it being because of a speech delay but I'm sure that if there is tone issues orally there are probably tone issues in the rest of his body

The "w" sit is for balance as others have said, but as the balance improves, the "w" begins to be restrictive with movement and can actually restrict development! There are several things you can do to help a kiddo get out of the "w" sit. As a EI therapist, I see several kids who sit like this. I have found that a gentle reminder, such as tapping the foot works well. In the beginning you might need to tap the foot and then physically move the feet around. As you do this, he will begin to associate the foot tapping with correcting his feet. Verbal cues also work. I've got one kiddo that is very resistant to those methods, so for him I gently scratch the sole of his foot, and he naturally and quickly moves his feet because he does not like the sensation.

brneyedgrl827,
Thanks! I actually think your pic is precious!!! It is soooo hard to find a pic where they both look decent!!! I just found one that had them both in it (along with Elmo and mommy's flip flops)...LOL!!! Yes, Elmo (or "ALMA" - as one of them calls him...ha!:) is a big hit in our home! It's funny, a friend of mine just had a baby (today) and she swears she will not let him have an Elmo or know anything about Elmo. I told her "GOOD LUCK WITH THAT"...LOL!!! My girls have an Elmo that talks when you move him and his mouth opens. He says all kinds of things and laughs, etc. He also says "yippee kiyeah" (SP?) and I keep waiting for the rest of that statement...ha ha ha!!! Elmo is a funny guy!!!!:) Good luck with things!!

Not that I have any new info to help anyone, but I just wanted to share with people that would understand:) My twin that sits in the "w" more often than the other is actually starting to REALLY respond to the verbal instruction "fix your legs"...WOOOHOOO!! The only issue we have is that she doesn't really seem to be able to sit Indian style just yet. So when I have her "fix" her legs she ends up with them straight out in front of her. It makes it hard for her to continue to play with whatever is in front of her. Anyway, I was just REALLY excited about the newest development!!! Thanks for letting me share!!!

The legs out straight is a "y" sit, but you can't find much info about it on the internet. I've got 2 kiddos that I see that sit like this, although one is not yet sitting alone. If the "y" makes it hard for her to play, then allow her to have her feet behind her. Don't let it be in the "w" though, push her feet together so that she is sitting on her feet with her toes pointed inward and her knees together. This will allow more mobility than the w or y.

Hi beclyn,
Just wondering what you thought of "side sitting" for my main "w" sitter? Her Pt came today and okayed it, but just wondered if you had another opinion:) Basically if she is in the "w" position I say fix "your legs" and sometimes she pulls only one to the front...so, what if we adjust her sort of to the side with one leg still sort of in the "w" and the other with the outside of the leg on the floor with the foot going towards the other leg....does that even make sense??? LOL! I have no idea if I mentioned this before or if it matters in this case, but she does have sensory issues (they both do) and is an extreme "toe walker" (doing a little better:). Not really sure any of that matters, but just wanted to be sure and give all info on her:) Thanks for the input!!! I really appreciate it!!

I would be ok with it if it gets her out of the "w". My only caution is that she'll be sitting possibly with her spine out of alignment which could cause back problems later on in life. I believe the best option in her case would be to have her sit on her feet. If she's in the "w", turn her feet inward so her toes touch and then scoot her legs up under her and keep her ankles and knees together. Hope this helps!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders