throwing up mucous in the middle of the night

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their baby so I can kind of have an idea as to what is going on.
My daughter woke up last night about three times "throwing/coughing up" thick, clear mucous/phlem. I picked her up and patted her on the back to get it all out and she would be fine and go back to sleep until about a half hour later and it would happen again. This has happened about twice before and the doctor said "well, she seems and sounds fine" and just sent me home.
It only happens at night not during the day. I don't know if it is excessive saliva(maybe from teething) that builds up in her mouth and throat while sleeping and then she starts couging it out(the doctor said no). She seems fine otherwise, no fever, cough, runny nose......just waking up and throwing up this thick clear mucous.
Any suggestions would be great because the doctor doesn't seem to want to bother with it since she is healthy otherwise.

BTW, she is almost 11 months actual, 9 adjusted

15 replies. Join the discussion

Does she have any refulx? I have found that teething and the excess saliva causes all sorts of tummy problems in my girls (doc. says they just don't know...) I bet the two are related. I would definitely keep on the doc. if it doesn't clear up in a few days.

I also noticed all kinds of drool/mucus problems when Bells first starting teething. Once those 3 little teeth popped through, the mucus stopped.....as for the drool - now thats another story! Wishing you the best! By the way - your little one is adorable! so cute!

Zoe threw up mucus for a few days after having some post-nasal drip, but it was mostly during the day. Her ped said it was the only way she could clear her throat, and it was normal. Teething sounds more exciting, though.

BTDT...my son needs reflux meds and asthma meds to keep the mucus at bay.

thanks moms for your suggestions. On pins and needles tonight just waiting to see if she wakes up and starts with the mucus. She doesn't seem to have a problem with reflux(like when she was just home from the hospital).
My mom tells me that I worry too much about everything because Reagan was a preemie, and that I need to stop worrying so much about the "what if's", and only worry when something actually happens!

misunderstoodmama, your son was waking up and throwing up mucus? How old is he? What were the first signs of asthma?

Is she on any medications? My daughter used to throw up if we gave her Tylenol or Motrin when she was sick.

Hope you figure it out! I'd videotape it if at all possible so the doc can see what's happening.

Sounds like seasonal allergies and/or a cold.

DS does this, especially after having a cold or when his allergies were bad. He would just cough so much and so hard he would gag and throw up. Unfortunately I didn't and haven't found a whole lot that stops it. I elevate him and installed a humidifying system in the house. When he has a cold I put Baby Vicks on his chest, back and the bottoms of his feet. He still coughs a lot at night and will almost gag himself but he doesn't throw up as much. Now that he's older if he coughs that hard I give him a drink of water and make sure he is elevated. I think most of his problem is drainage from his sinuses because of this allergies.

From very early on my girl has had trouble with excess saliva and mucus. She used to spit up mucus and saliva quite often but now it usually just amounts to a chronic type of cough through out the day.

Our daughter does this during mild colds or allergies because she has a strong gag reflex (presumably from being intubated). It happens just occasionally when she is a little sick. She is now 4.

thanks for all the advice. That happened last Friday night and hasn't happened since. She never did come down with a cold so I am going to say maybe allergies or teething. who knows......hopefully it doesn't happen again!

We have a mucous machine!!!! I have asked so many doctors about it. Pediatrician, GI, ENT...no one has any solutions. Some say reflux, allergies. We just started on an allergy med, but I am not seeing much of a difference. We have mucous round the clock!! The only thing that has made it go away completely (temporarily) is steroids. 5 days of steroids and he doesn't spit up or throw up mucous. After 5 days .......its back.

Still searching for answers.

It's amazing what I call "the perfect storm" can do these LO's - between teething, allergies, and reflux, my daughter gets a hoarse voice, spits up mucous, drool pours down her face, it is just so sad (and totally gross too!) We also just did a round of steriods recently b/c the doc. said she was just generally swollen around her mouth, throat, etc. from this lovely mix! She's starting to feel a lot better, and sound better.

My daughter hasn't spit up any mucous in the past 2 weeks. I have thought it is allergies all along but the Ped. said that she wouldn't have allergies yet because she has never been exposed to any of this stuff before(tree pollen, grass, etc.). He said she wouldn't show allergies until next spring/summer.

The odd thing is that she seemed to have come down with a little stomach bug(didn't amount to much) and a couple of months ago she did the exact same thing(spit up mucous during the night, came down with a little bug about a week or two later). These "bugs" though don't produce any fever, she just has loose stools for about a day or two and she has about 3 or 4 where normally she only has one. Maybe extra mucous is causing her to have loose stools and it really isn't any type of bug.
Who knows!!!! If she was a FT baby I probably wouldn't even think twice about any of this stuff! : )

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders