they tried to take zakhi off of cpap

My son zakhi is 9 days old and 30w 1 d today they tried to take him off of cpap but they saw he still needed it. I was wondering has this happend to anybody and if it did how long before did they take it off and at what age or gestation?

12 replies. Join the discussion

Why are they trying to take him off of CPAP so soon? He is still only 30 weeks into development. A full term infant is not expected to breath on their own until they are 37 to 40 wks. My 24 weeker did not get off of CPAP until he was 37 weeks into develpment, then transitioned to high flow, then low flow canula at 39 weeks. He came home without oxygen support on his exact due date with a weight of 8 lbs 14 oz. I think sometimes dr try pushing these babies too hard.

Idk I was thinking the samething though its kind of early and he is already on the nasal canula and he isn't reciving that much help. And also it some babies in there that are the same age as him and is breathing without cpap.

My DD was born at 29 weeks in October. She was on the CPAP for a little over a week and a half before they tried to take her off. She did ok but had to go back on it for a little over a week before she got off it for good. She had the cannula for much longer ... Almost until her discharge.

One of my 25+6 weeker twins was off CPAP by 29 weeks gestation, onto lowflow/room air. He had a 3 trials off before he was off for good. He was put on cpap at birth and trialled him on room air for the first time at 5 days old, lasting 4 hours before he tired and was back on CPAP. He had another trial off CPAP at 2 weeks old and lasted 24 hours. Then off for good at 3 1/2 weeks old. He was always on the lowest setting and did not have an oxygen requirement (other than for a few days when he had an infection, and needed O2 intermittantly for feeds).
His twin was on CPAP til 35 weeks gestation, then low flow for 2 weeks, then off O2 for a week before discharge at 39 weeks.

I questioned why they would trial bubs off CPAP when it was more than likely that they would tire, and they told me that they like to give the bubs a chance to see how they go basically, that they don't know unless they try them off.

CPAP can be uncomfortable for them. Some babies even get pressure areas around their noses where the skin can break down. Some babies can breath on their own at 30 weeks so it's always worth trying. All these medical things are invasive or uncomfortable for the babies so they less they need the better and it is always worth trying otherwise you never know. They figure if the baby tires they can just pop it back on. Also, sometimes just 'high flow' oxygen is enough. I feel like with our babes it just a delicate dance... we push... sometimes it doesn't work.. sometimes it does. Gotta keep pushing for that progress! :)

Yeah thatd what I was saying but he is doing good overall and he has the nasal canula. I thinl they tried him off of it because he is on the lowest that you can go.

my twins were born at 27 weeks my larger twin was vented for 3 weeks then on cpap til 37 weeks after 7 attemps. then low flow nasel . so its normal. now hes home on nothing. his twin was never intibated and came off cpap the same day and is still in hospital hes on vent now because surgery but b4 was on nasel. so it proves that babies are unpredictabe. my stronger one is now the weaker one. so it may take several attempts but hell get there

thanx for the help.

My 28 weeker has been on and off CPAP since she was born. She is 6wks old (35 gestationally). There have been times where she has been off both CPAP and nasal cannula, breathing all on her own. As of today, she is back on CPAP due to issues with her lungs from a previous infection. The doctor tells me she is leading them, when she is tired and needs help they are quickly there to help.

Every doc/respirtory "person" probably has a bit of a different way to do things.
I agree with some of the previous posters whereas they push these little babies too hard at times.

But the other side of that is if your son can handle it, thats great :). I guess it would depend on the meds given before birth, and after as well (lung development).
This is one of those thing though you dont have to overly worry about with all the leads hooked up. If he starts to decline, and need more oxygen they will do it pretty fast.

One of my twins was on the vent for 39 days and then bipap (like cpap but the pressure is both on inspiration and expiration versus with cpap where it is just expiration) for 1 day then 02 till home. Later she spent 2 days on the vent after ROP surgery. So by 32 weeks she was only on 02. My other twin was on the vent 49 days and bipap for 2 days. That would mean he was off around the 33 week mark.
There are many, many reasons you want to limit the amount of time the baby spends on the ventilator or cpap/bipap. Cosmetically it can break down the skin. Bailey still has a scar on her nose from it. Also, any time off the cpap will allow the lungs to work by themselves so they can gain strength. The less work lungs are made to do the lazier they become. There is also the worry with ROP and the eyes. They still don't know for sure what causes ROP so limiting expose to things that might cause it is best. This is just a few of the reasons why it is best to be off cpap/bipap.

Mikayla went on and off different things all of the time. She would constantly go from hi vent, to regular vent to Capp then back on the vent then just o2 then Capp then nothing then vent and so on. She came home on o2 and has needed it off and on ever since. I asked her pulmonologist about it and he told me it was normal with preemies. Sometimes their bodies are fighting things off or growing and their energy needs to go to other things so they need some help. Preemies also are full of surprises, most of them we don't like, but sometimes they are awesome! It sounds weird but I cried tears of joy when she finally came off 02. It's one of those inevitable preemie roller coaster things. I hope your little one can come home soon!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders