Success rate of cerclage at 13 weeks?

I was wondering if anyone had undergone pre-emptive cerclage on a second pregnancy and what their experience was. My first pregnancy, I had an incompetant cervix, that thanks to myself being employed in the medical field, I recognized. I was admitted to the hospital at 22 weeks, 3 cm dialted with a bulging bag and in active labor. I then ruptured and began leaking fluid making an emergency cerclage impossible. Slowly though, over a period of hospital bedrest, my fluid level rebuilt to a "normal" level and we managed to make it to 29 weeks before delivering via c-section. My daughter was in the NICU for 2 months, and thank god, she is doing wonderful and will be one year old this week. My question is, has anyone had a similar situation and decided to get pregnant again and had a cerclage at 13 weeks? My fear is not for myself, but the thought of potentially putting another baby thru the NICU. I realize how lucky we have been. I am 35 years old and want to make the decision to have another baby in the next year or so. They never found any medical reason for me having an imcompetant cervix, but I was told cerclage was a must if I get pregnant again. Any advice or past experiences would be appreciated!
Thanks!

9 replies. Join the discussion

My son was born at 26w/2d in September 2009. We decided to have a second child after much thought and consideration. I had a cerclage placed at 13 weeks and started 17P shots at 16 weeks. I am currently 33w/4d and so far so good. This pregnancy has been filled with worry - i have made a few trips to L & D with bleeding, pressure and just plain worried that the cerclage is not holding. But so far it has. I started having contractions at 18 weeks and am on meds to ease those. I have been spotting regularly since having the cerclage placed which is scary but everything seems to be okay with the baby. I am scheduled to get the cerclage removed in about 2 weeks and hoping I make it until then! good luck and best wishes!

I had two 21 week losses before my doctor diagnosed me with IC. With my son I had a cerclage at 12 weeks and he was born at 25 weeks by emergency C because my water broke at 24 weeks and he actually kicked his foot through the cerclage. That being said, I know of 3 other women personally who made it to term after having a cerclage at 12-13 weeks.

Thanks to both momof26weeker and momtozion for your replies. Part of me thinks that if I made it to 29 weeks without a cerclage, that with a cerclage, I am sure to make it farther. The other part of me realizes how blessed I was the first time, and that maybe my luck won't hold this time. I also know there are further risks even with the cerclage procedure. Good luck to momof26weeker; making it to 33 weeks probably almost feels like full term! One other question for you both; after the cerclage were you both on bedrest for the remainder of the pregnancy or were you allowed to return to work for a period of time?

I was pregnant with twins who had TTTS, and they placed a cerclage at about 22 weeks, because same as you, I was in active labor because of the fluid weight on my cervix. My boys were born at 28wks, they are 2 years old now. I got pregnant again about 9 months after my boys were born, and they wanted to put another cerclage in because of my previous history. I saw several docs and obs who knew me and my history, and they all said that there was no evidence that my 2nd pregnancy would be complicated, so they opted to hold off on the cerclage, but monitored me VERY closely for 6 weeks, and everything was fine. Daughter was born in Dec, no problems. Good luck!

My story is very similar to yours. At about 21 weeks during my first pregnancy I had a bad feeling and insisted that I get examined. Sure enough, I was dialated with a bulging bag. I had an emergency cerclage done by an MFM. At 23 weeks my water broke, cerclage held strong until my son went into distress and was born by emergency c-section at 26 weeks. After he turned 1, I started wondering if we could have a normal pregnancy. I had a consultation with the MFM that put in my first cerclage. He told me that he had pretty good success with non-emergency cerclages. I can't remember the exact % but I believe it was around 80-90% of getting to term although he did warn me that if my cervix started to shorten, I may need bedrest again. I am now 32 weeks pregnant with my second boy and have not had any cervical related complications at all. The MFM put in a double stich at 11 weeks and I have been long and closed this entire pregnancy with no bedrest (whew! - wasn't sure how that would work with a very active 2 year old at home :) It has been an entirely different experience and I am very glad that we decided to try. This munchkin will be making his arrival in 5 weeks. Good luck on your decision!

I was not on bed rest, but was on pelvic rest.

The same here, not on bedrest (and I work 50+ hrs a week) but on pelvic rest. I try not to lift my 2 year old but i do give in alot with that one, i try to limit stairs and take the ramp or elevator if possible and I am not exercising with this pregnancy.

Hi there. I too am 35 and I had a 30 week preemie 3 years ago. I debated and debated and debated about a second baby due to IC. I am now 20 weeks pregnant with a cerclage. I am very nervous all of the time but am always searching the web to find successful cerclage stories :) Like many I just found right here. As of now I am not on bedrest but I take it very easy and will continue to do so either way. As you know- bedrest could come about any day. I just pray it doesn't. Good luck with your decision!

My first pregnancy ended at 23 weeks due to IC. I got pregnant again 6 months later with my oldest daughter. I had a cerclage placed at 12 weeks and weekly p17 shots. I had bulging membranes at my 24 week check up. I then spent the next 4 weeks on hospital bedrest and delivered my daughter at 27.6 weeks. She weighed 2pds 4oz and spent 66 days in NICU.

Two years later we decided we wanted to try again. We went and talked to a MFM who was confident he could get me to at least 36 weeks with a vaginal cerclage and DAILY progesterone suppositories. Four months later I got pregnant, had a cerclage placed at 13 weeks and started daily progesterone suppositories. The suppositories have a higher success rate than P17 shots, because it delivers progesterone right to the source. I was then monitored by the MFM every 2 weeks and my ob on the off weeks. I had the stitch removed at 37 weeks and delivered my second daughter at 37.5 weeks. She weighed 6pds 8 oz and came home when I did!!!!

I now have a very happy and healthly 4 year old and 9 month old. I suggest finding you a good MFM and weigh your options. Best of Luck to you!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders