Subchorionic Hematoma and placenta abruptions stories???

i had a subchorionic hematoma that they think may of caused my placenta abruption in 2010 my son was born at 24weeks (640g) i am currently pregnant(11 weeks) and so scared it will happen once again! I have been cramping and having slight bleeding since ive found out ...i had the same with my son and was told its normal its normal! intill i stared to really bleed at 17 weeks and pass clots and thats when they said it was caused from a SCH which at that point my placenta had started to pull away, causing a hole in the sack and i lost all my water ! The doctors then said i would go in to labor and lose the baby and if i did go to term he would never breathe on his own.... well i spent the next 7 weeks laying on my left side and drinking 5 litres of water a day well i did go into labour at 24 weeks and my son spent a total of 134 days in the NICU and today he is very active and happy 18 month old it is not something i want to go threw again as im sure you all are aware of so i think thats why im looking for as much information on SCH and placenta abrutions as i can! has this happened to you ?has it happened twice ? and what did your doctors tell you?what do you think caused it?

11 replies. Join the discussion

I do not have personal experience with SCH however, one of my good friends has gone through a tough time with them. She lost her first 2 pregnancies (one at 16 and one at 14 weeks). She is currently 15 weeks with her third and has sought out a reputable perinatologist who has worked with her and has been quite compassionate. I know she started on baby aspirin before she got pregnant, was given progesterone suppositories for the first 10-12 weeks and also gets daily shots of heparin. She gets weekly ultrasounds, and was told to take it easy. She is nervous as well, but so far so good. I would definitely find a high risk OB and ask tons of questions. Good luck and best wishes for a long and uneventful pregnancy!

Do you need a prescription for baby aspirin? ?I live in this super small town we dont have a ob ! I have been to see two different gp and they keep telling im worring to much WTF really well you try having a baby at 24 weeks ! honestly they keep telling me that they cant send me to a high risk till im 20 weeks, which is beyond stupid to me considering i started having problems early on with my son ....I think monday i am just going to go into the doctors office and throw a fit till they either do something or refer me to someone that knows what they are talking about! thanks for the reply btw :)

I had a very similar pregnancy and I would also be scared to death. I'll be wishing you lots of positive energy that there is no reoccurence with your new addition. Keep us posted.

Best of luck,
Sarah

I had a very normal first pregnancy with no complications, but I had a large subchorionic hemorrhage with my second pregnancy. I was on strict bed rest from 7-23 weeks and it eventually healed up enough for me to go back to work. I had a placenta abrubtion at 25 weeks, but it was not related to the subchorionic hemorrhage. I had a car wreck that caused the abrubtion. I ended up getting blood clots after the car wreck and was later tested for blood clotting disorders. I tested positive for the MTHFR gene mutation. I think that the two may be linked so I would have them test you for any blood clotting disorders and see if you have any. I did not take any medication for my subchorionic hemorrhage but I was told that I would need to be on strict bed rest until the baby was bigger than the blood clot. I didn't leak any amniotic fluid that I knew about. I wish you the very best in your pregnancy and hopefully you won't have to deal with it this pregnancy. I also wanted to add that I did spot a little with my first pregnancy, but with my second on it was more like a fountain.

I have had this problem and it didn't work too well for me,I lost 2 babies in a 2 trimester and had a preemie with a third one
.I was tested for blood clotting disorders and they found nothing wrong .I was told to test for those when not pregnant ,which I did.Doctors didn't seem to know what caused it for me which was quite frustrating .On a bright side I did have normal pregnancies between 1 and 2 SH,so it didn't really have any pattern .I hope everything works out for you and I would definitely recommend switching to high risk OB if possible .

This sounds very familiar. I had a SCH early on causing bleeding even before my first OB appointment. I was on bedrest from 11-20 weeks when my SCH caused my water to break. I then spent the next 9 weeks on hospital bedrest until he was born at 29 weeks. We spent 94 days in the NICU and came home on oxygen, but to look at him now at 14.5 months, 12 adjusted you would never know. He's into everything!!

We have been thinking about baby number 2, but to be honest the stories I've read on here make me very nervous. I was under the care of a team of perinatologists during my pregnancy and even had a consult 6 weeks post-partum to talk about the future. She referred me to a hematologist who ran all kinds of blood tests and nothing showed up. No one really seemed to understand why that was frustrating! So, all that to say I'm in the same boat, but wish you peace during this pregnancy and prayers for an uneventful pregnancy and term baby!

Also no doctor has said this to me, but I have to wonder if the birth control I was on (Yaz) had a any bearing on my SCH. Yaz made me completely stop having periods for 2 years and I actually never had one, but went on progesterone to start them back and just ended up pregnant. It may have nothing to do with it, but I am staying off all birth control this time just to be sure.

i believe baby aspirin is over the counter.

I had a SCH diagnosed in my last pregnancy at 7 weeks, by 20 weeks it had split and developed into 2 large SCH's...then the contractions started. I was hospitalized at 23 and 26 weeks and put on IV to stop labour-strength contractions but ended up with a weakened uterus (the blood from the clot acts as an irritant to the uterus) and my water broke at 28 weeks. I was put on mag sulfate to delay labour and get steroid shots, but as soon as it wore off I went into labour again and my baby was born at 29 weeks. He is now 21 months (18 adj) and completely healthy.
I am now 32 weeks pregnant and have had no complications at all, except for this little one is completely breech and I will be needing my 1st c-section:(

Thanks ladies for all the replies! im going to make sure i see a high risk ob asap! its heartbreaking that pregnancy has become this for so many of us:( its suppose to be a time of happiness and joy and honestly i just want to cry, i am so worried and full of fear for the baby...for my other children and myself! I feel like i am selfish for becoming pregnant again, i didnt plan on it and had been on birth control for awhile so I'm not even sure how it happened? ??? considering when my daughter about 9 months(2006) we started trying for another but didn't become pregnant till fall of 2009 so almost three years of no birth control and actively trying to become pregnant I finally do and then to be on birth control and diffidently not trying for just over a year I do become pregnant it makes no sense !!! i keep trying to tell my self everything happens for a reason but its so hard the thought of putting another child threw all that pain again is terrifying...sigh:*(

I had a placental abruption with our first at around 20 weeks which caused me to PPROM at 24 weeks and preterm labor (and delivery) at 25 weeks. I was tested for clotting disorders before TTC again and they all came back negative. The high-risk docs all said that it was probably a fluke and unlikely to happen again. We were cautiously optimistic and our second was full term after an uneventful pregnancy. Hopefully yours will be, too. :)

Wades_mommy, baby still has time to turn! :) I've heard good things about www.spinningbabies.com.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders