SSI for my preemie

How long can you get SSI for your baby. They would not give my little one SSI because "we were making too much money" Well, their idea of too much money is me the only one working and my husband drawing unemployment which is going to run out in a few weeks. He is staying home with our kids so I am kind of concern about what's going to happen.I will not put my baby on a daycare.She is going to be 7 months actual/4 adj. can we still apply for SSI for her?

18 replies. Join the discussion

Here is what it says in their handbook. I hope this helps.

We may make immediate SSI payments to your child
It can take three to five months for the state agency to decide if your child is disabled. However, for some medical conditions, we make SSI payments right away and for up to six months while the state agency decides if your child is disabled.

Following are some conditions that may qualify:
•HIV infection;
•Total blindness;
•Total deafness;
•Cerebral palsy;
•Down syndrome;
•Muscular dystrophy;
•Severe mental retardation (child age 7 or older); and
•Birth weight below 2 pounds, 10 ounces.

If your child has one of the qualifying conditions, he or she will get SSI payments right away. However, the state agency may finally decide that your child’s disability is not severe enough for SSI. If that happens, you will not have to pay back the SSI payments that your child got.
SSI disability reviews
Once your child starts receiving SSI, the law requires that we review your child’s medical condition from time to time to verify that he or she is still disabled. This review must be done:
•At least every three years for children younger than age 18 whose conditions are expected to improve;
•By age 1 for babies who are getting SSI payments because of their low birth weight, unless we determine their medical condition is not expected to improve by their first birthday and we schedule the review for a later date.
We may perform a disability review even if your child’s condition is not expected to improve. When we do a review, you must present evidence that your child is and has been receiving treatment that is considered medically necessary for your child’s medical condition.

SSI rules about income and resources
When we decide if your child can get SSI, we consider your child’s income and resources. We also consider the income and resources of family members living in the child’s household. These rules apply if your child lives at home. They also apply if he or she is away at school but returns home from time to time and is subject to your control.
If your child’s income and resources, or the income and resources of family members living in the child’s household, are more than the amount allowed, we will deny the child’s application for SSI payments.
We limit the monthly SSI payment to $30 when a child is in a medical facility where health insurance pays for his or her care.
Find out what the income limit is. You can probably just refile once the unemployment benefits run out. Also if your child was born under a certian birth weight of 2lbs something then they qualify immediatly until a determination is made and you don't pay back the benefits you received if they don't qualify.
Good Luck 2 u

Thank you very much.

Thanks for asking this question. I filed about a month in a half ago and just got the 1st $30 check. Then I received the pamphlets regarding SSI. I just started back to work (self employed) however I didn't take much out personally during pregnancy since being on bed rest. Now my husband is on unemployment. What's the next step after receiving 1st check? I have just started to get bills for my son that Insurance is maxed out on I guess. I have to call Monday. How do you turn that over to MedicaidN Will I be getting a card or something. Thanks for all your help!

ndskin77
Are you on medicaid too,I did not get her actual card right away but the social worker told me(since I was on medicaid too) I could use my medicaid card in the mean time.
Good luck.

We used the number they gave us at SSI and the case worker took care of everything. I think if you call and give her the number they will file the medical to your medicaid for you.

This is a good question.
My son has cerebral palsy, how can I alpy for SSI?

my girls were both under 2lbs 10oz and qualified based on that. they do look at income tho. my husband has gotten several raises in the past 6 months and each time their checks get smaller. so i know its not GUARANTEED based on weight alone, income does play in, to a certain extent.

My daughter is 17mos and just had her review in Nov and still qualified, her pymts were actually increased.

I lost SSI for my daughter once she came home. I was told that I could reapply monthly for up to a certain amount of time. I forget what that time frame was. If unemployment runs out, you could try and reapply.

I applied for my daughter and like you, they told us that we make too much money. She did mention that since our daughter was in a medical facility and not in our home, that we could qualify based on that fact alone and not our income. Once she comes home, we have to reapply bringing in our current pay information. That, more than likely, will end whatever benefits she may receive. Every little bit will helps though.

Here is the link to the site for the person who asked how they can apply. There is a starter kit for applying here and answeres to FAQ.
http://www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/child.htm

I went through the NICU for SSI! They provided me with all the medical records of my baby then I took them to the Social Security Office, spent an hour getting questioned and asked how I pay my bills etc. Then I jsut got a check in the mail for $30. No card or anything else! So I guess I will contact the gentleman that helped me originally to see what to do next.

i was unsure about ssi my girls r know 5months old can i still apply for them they were 2.1 ounce an 2.11 ounces do they even qualify for low birth weight..? i mean my hubby nd have had to depend on cash aid recently bc we couldnt afford a babysitter i got hit with bedrest nd my hubby needs to stay home with the girls

Our SSI ended when we left the NICU. We qualified because our son was under the 2 lb. requirement. Once you leave the NICU, it is based on income.

I too was in similar boat....... except our NICU never even told us about SSI. I found out once our boys were home and correct it is all based on income. We applied and re applied and they kept saying we make too much money. Well if they took into account all of our medical bills, our 10,000 out of pocket deductiable and all the medication the boys were on and special formula they wouldve realized we didnt make anything after that! I have been so frustrated with the system. My boys we 2.3 and 2.6lbs (born at 28 weeeks) Never got a penny!!!!! We are still paying medical bills and i feel like we will be for the next couple of years!

Thank you for the web site! it has helped me tremendously and I am now going to an appointment for SSI on the 22nd. I think we qualify for some benefits based on my husbands monthly income. Anything will help.

my hubensd is currently out of job and im on bed rest.. so i think we would qualify i guess i should try and see if we do..

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders