ssi

my child is now three and we recently got approved for ssi. however i just found a link on the social security page that says if a child was born prematurely weighing a certain low birth weight he/she would qualify. well my child would have qualified at that time, unfortunately my social worker had never mentioned this to me. does anyone know if ssi will retroactive pay for the time my child was born? or does the funds begin when the application was turned in?

29 replies. Join the discussion

It would be worth a call to see if it is retroactive, I am really not sure. Our little guy is on that program. I know for sure the baby has to have been born at 1000g or less and then they can receive SSI and medicaid covers whatever hospital bills the insurance does not pick up. However once the baby is discharged, all coverage will stop-unless the baby is disabled and then they will be covered under that disability, not the prematurity. The people we have worked with at DSS have been really nice and willing to answer all our questions, so it would be worth the phone call to see if it would work in your situation! HTH!

I have to disagree w mama2seven, my son born at 684 grams recieves ssi. When he was born I knew nothing about it but our hospital case manager came by with a letter and told me to take it to social security office and apply for disability. She she that with his low birth weight he automatically qualified. I did so, and he was immediately approved. He is still in the hospital and only recieves $30/month, but they told me to call them as soon as hes discharged bc then he'd receive the full benefits of $698. They don't evaluate the babies until they are 2 years old to see if they still qualify for disability bc supposedly it takes theses preemie babies at least 2 years to catch up to term babies developmentally. Until then they are covered bc the prematuretity IS considered the disability. My son also recieves all sorts of services through them, OT, PT, Speech, etc to make sure hes reaching his adjusted age milestones and help if hes not. I would surely look into it if I were you. Not that you'd get billions of dollars but hey, itd be something. God Luck.

Retroactive is only applicable while the child is in the hospital upon birth. Upon my son's discharge from the NICU, he was exited from social security with a payout for the prematurity due to my income, so to continue to receive funds for the prematurity, you have to meet the income limits. At age 3, I am afraid your child is only going to qualify based upon the date of your call to schedule the interview appointment.

Same as leapingly. Upon exit, we recieved a lump sum, about 700 dollars and that was the end because of income, even though we do not make much.

I agree with Leapingly, you do not get ss benefits after your child is discharged from the hospital unless you meet the income requirments. The benefit of $698 only applies if your child is disabled, being premature does not qualify, you have to have a diagnosis. They do not hand out a check for every child that is born pre-term.

I second, third, and fourth the above...we received a payment of $600-something after discharge but then we did not qualify to continue because of our income and my son was not diagnosed with any disabilities. My case worker told me specifically that low birth weight (premature) alone was not classified as a disability.

I have 2 nieces who receive both full benefits of ssi and they are 18 months and 5 months. And that was upon discharge. And currently stol receiving it. My sister is a school teacher, not that they make much, but her income didn't affect it. They cannot malgre an accurate diagnosis that early. It takes months and.sometimes years before most children show a disability. If I were any of you I wouldve contested it. our case worker stated that sometimes they try and give people the run around about it, but if you have the correct people on your side giving you the heads up, its hard to deny. Never heard of this payout lump sum thing. if that were the case why should they need to reevaluate the children again at age 2 for delays? If I were you id find some better resources.

I have to disagree SSI requirements for a neonate born under a certain weight (I'm not sure) my son was born at 27 weeks weighing 960 grams and he automatic qualified for SSI. Your social worker at the hospital was suppose to inform you and handle most of the paper work. SSI are given to preemies in my state NY to age 4. after age 4 you have to for a review and if your child has a medical diagnoses than he or she will be given SSI.

Also preterm, No, but it does matter how pretm.or how small the child was. Anything under 37 weeks is technically preterm but of course that dosnt mean the child will be disabled. I think here in NC it's any child weighing under 1200 grams at birth.

My daughter is probably the most severely disabled child that I know and she was denied ssi only based on our income. She is concidered disabled through ssi, but she doesn't get ANY money. She was able to keep her medicaid through a hospice waiver, but will not receive any money until she is an adult or our income changes. BTW she was a micropreemie and received $30.00/month while in the NICU.

Congrats on being approved!

We were not told of the program when Quin was born so we didn't know to apply and therefore received nothing. I applied to get the medical help when he was just under a year because our insurance only wanted to pay for 6 visits a YEAR(I argued them up to 12 which was still nothing), our medical copays/parking fees were more than our mortgage($1585/month in copays). Even with a CP diagnosis we were denied. My son is legally blind(he can see with glasses though), epileptic and has CP with hypertonia. We were told that because I had him in therapy they did not know if it would be a lifelong disability, that he may be able to function and so therefore we didn't qualify. I tried to contact several disability attorneys who all told me they didn't work with children, so I just dropped it, I had so many other things going on that it wasn't something I could handle.

Laikensmom: I'm sorry to hear that! Its really a shame that your income is prohibiting yoy from ssi. I know its probably overwhelming trying to challenge such a denial. But it definitely doesn't sem fair or even sensible. Does she at least get the therapies she needs through medicaid?

Yes she gets all of her therapies paid for and most of her medical expenses. We have primary health insurance so they pay for almost everything and Medicaid pays for the rest. It really isn't fair!!!

You know, I really hate it when someone comes on here and declares him/herself an expert without having the facts to back up. The information about self is fine - you lived the experience so you should know. But let's limit it to that. Attached please find a link to the SSI website which gets into everything I stated in a prior post. Yes, very low birthweight babies get the initial SSI benefits (2 lbs, 10 ounces and less). Yes, you get $30 a month while your child is in an institution (i.e., the NICU r even a skilled nursing facility). Yes, upon release, you are up for review. Yes, if there is no more diagnosis right then and your income is over their limits, you get the lump sum check. If not, you get SSI fr the child until the next review.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10026.html#a0=0

I'm not a liar and find it insulting when someone basically states I am. I have a lot of credibility when it comes to prematurity - just check my pstings in the past. I know. All I can say is either you are new to SSI or you only know your own circumstance, which likely does not reflect the same sort of stats as I presented in mine. Parents come in here for help and when someone writes misunderstandings or confusions and state such as facts, well, they can read those same postings and believe them. I want us to help one another. Original poster - the link above should answer your questions.

leapingly: I find it appalling that its ok for you to think that other peoples experiences or information, comes across as being misleading or being a know it all. No one insinuated that you were a liar. We just simply got on here, like you, and offered our experience. How exactly are you the expert that you claim everyone else isn't? Just because youve had at it first hand just like us all? You disagreed with me, and I disagreed with you. Where is the problem in that? You and a few others were debrief upon exit, while I know others who weren't.
Furthermore, I'm glad you posted the link. I reread it carefully, and while it does state that the child and household members income is a reason for possible denial, it doesn't state the limit, it could be 70,000 for all we know. Also in the following paragraphs it states that the child is eligible immediately for low birthweight, it talks about expected lifeterm disability (this is where your hospital social workers letter should come into play) it also says that it sometimes takes months or years for them to determine difficulty but ssi will be awarded until then, and it also states that the child is reaevaluated to determine eligibility after 1 year if under age 7 I believe.
For you to take one passage from that page and use it to try and validate your experience as facts is baffling. All I did was offer her some advice of looking more into it. That is all. I'm sure we have all dealt with a business or company and someone that worked there notified you of what you needed or what to do, and when you do that and come back it may be someone different and they tell t you , no maam you need to do this and bring that, or someone may tell you that they don't offer this or that, and another employee says they do. Same principle.

I didn't even read anything about a lump sum payout on there, but that doesn't go to say that they don't give it, bc you know you reserved it, right? Basically what I'm saying is everything isnlways written out in black and white for you. you have to really get into the nittygritty of it. If it were t just plain and set in stone, there wouldn't be disability attorneys. Just saying.

Not being insulting.

S Nelson, you disagreed with 6 people's personal experiences with SSI and as far as I am aware, only have the one preemie who is still in the hospital and therefore has not been discharged - you therefore do not even have a personal experince to share relating to the issue being discussed. No one has provided a personal experience which contradicts the experiences we 6 have provided; further, I have supplied an SSI link which supports our experiences. Not sure how/why you are appalled, but I do know you posted many times, contradicting all those folks. Why? I'd say the 6 people who posted on here are better testimony to the workings of SSI in this situation than second-hand testimony where no details are provided.

But you know, none of this matters to the original poster's query. It is unfortunate that some babies are born who qualify for the benefits but that the parents do not know what they are supposed to do in time. I was blessed in that the social worker in my son's birth NICU let me know what I needed to do, when it was time. I was not blessed in the fact that when he was transferred to our local hosptial NICU, that social worker told my insurance company I had no need of the free formula they were willing to send me to my home - that would have helped immeasurably, not having to traipse down to the WIC office and then to the grocery store, dealing with the special orders of the formula, etc. So, basically, the point is that social workers are not created equal. We do need t ask the questions ourselves.

I'm not the only person who disagreed. And furthermore me knowing of people who are still receiving benefits afterwards counts. So let me guess the other lady who disagreed and still gets her change didn't stand for anything either? And yes all ssw are different, I originally stated that when youre working with the right outsole things get done. Did I not? Just like one of the previous posters ssw didn't even inform her of the benefits. Anywho, I guess since 5 other people agreed with you and only 1 other person sides wroth me you are right. Got it. I'm not up here to really debate about it. Maybe if you worked for social security orcontested your denial like your doing my input, id be less inclined to challenge you. Your experience w ss outweighs noone else. Thank you.

and yes I am the parent to 1 preemie however I am the custodial parent to an 8 year old with 1 hand so this isn't my first rodeo show with disability

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders