Small Hands and Feet??

Violet was a 25 weeker and is almost 5 weeks adjusted. She is 7#14 oz's and 19 inches long. I have noticed that her hands and feet seem really small compared to full term babies her size. My friend just had a baby weighing similar to Violets current weight and her hands and feet are much bigger. Newborn socks are also HUGE on her feet. In the NICU she was diagnosed with Osteopenia of Prematurity but I was told this resolved before discharge. I was wondering if this has anything to do with it or is this normal for her?? Does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks

Oh..I asked her Pedi and she thought they were proportionate...I disagree

Edited September 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm

9 replies. Join the discussion

Such an interesting question. My girls are 30 weekers, just 19months actual. This is the first time their feet are actually proportionate to their age. Up until a few months ago, their feet were really small. I never really noticed their hands, but I always knew they had pretty small feet, but like I said, they just blew up a few months ago! For instance, at their one year birthday, my mom bought them satin slipper in 6-9 month size and they had plenty of room in them.

Hi! Do they look unproprtionate to the rest of her body? One of my girls has tiny little hands and feet as well, much smaller than the others... but I think she is just going to be petite. If they're proportionate with the rest of her body I wouldn't worry or compare her to other babies.

They do seem proportionate to her body....just smaller than other babies. I could say the same thing about her head though...it looks proportionate, but full-term babies heads are not...yet this is normal...if that makes sense??

My girls have small hands and feet, but they seem to be proportionate to their bodies. They are almost 26 months old and they wear 12-18 month size shoes (12-18 month clothes and some of them are big). I am thinking it just goes along with the smaller baby (preemie) thing. If you are not comfortable with the ped opinion, you can always seek a second opinion. I am thinking that it is probably just her own "preemie sizing" (I am not a dr:), but if you are worried or it seems abnormal, get it checked out. Good luck with everything!!

I haven't noticed the hands, but my sons feet swim in the robeez for 6-12 mos and he is 13 mos actual. I think is is a size 2. I haven't bought any shoes, since he can't seem to move well in them and there was a recent post about barefoot is best. I'm not sure if they are disproportionate to his body since he weighs a little over 16 pounds. He is furniture walking and seems to be pretty steady on them, so they're big enough to be functional. I am hoping they continue to grow with him and catch up with time.

My son is 10-months old, 7-months adjusted and he too has small feet. Proportionate to his size but his feet are small.

It has only been this past year that my daughter's feet seem more proportional relative to her size. Last year around this time, she was ~16 months old (actual) and wearing 6-12 month size in pedipeds; her inner foot measured just over 4". Currently she is ~28 months old and wears a size 4.5 to 5 shoe, but her feet have "filled out" and are now wider and comparable to her peers, even though her feet are still MUCH smaller. (One of her friends who is 5 months older wears a size 8.5 to 9. She's about 2-3" taller and 6-8 lbs heavier.) It seems as though she is taking after me sizewise. Growing up, I was ~9th %ile in height and 3rd-5th in weight and tracked that curve all the way until age 20...and I only wear a size 6-6 1/2 shoe. Lynsey is ~7th %ile for both height and weight. She might just be destined to be petite!

My daughter's hands and feet are also small compared to other babies'! I always notice it, but figured it was just because she is so small. Also, her head is small (proportional), but it looks even smaller when she's next to babies with disproportionally LARGE heads. To give an example of how small Zoe's feet are: she just grew out of newborn sized booties last month, at 8.5 adjusted, 11 mo actual. Seems like being proportional is a preemie thing. In some ways I think it makes them look like tiny grown-ups!

Thanks for the replies ladies! It sounds like this may be common with preemies....if so I feel much better!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders