Sensory processing disorder

Can anyone tell me anything about sensory processing disorders in former preemies? Particularly sensory seeking behaviors... I think my 28 weeker, now 3 years old, may have this, but the symptoms are so mild I'm not sure if I'm just imagining it... (He's never qualified for EI or any kind of therapy...)

Thanks

Jessie

4 replies. Join the discussion

There have been many discussions on this and I think you can search "sensory integration" in our search engine above to access them. I think most of our kids have some sort of sensory processing "quirks" and honestly all four of my children both seek and avoid certain stimuli. My middle daughter is under-responsive, actually slept in a Miley Cyrus concert at age three while sitting in the VIP area by the stage! My son is an avoider- can't stand certain sounds, fabric or textures and my youngest has proprioceptive issues and oral defensiveness/ aversions along with running and head wagging. She does have mild CP but the others don't. Children who seek are usually rough and tumble sort of kiddos that plow into you for their hugs or have no idea how in your face they are. They do many things that scare parents and sometimes looks like thrill seeking. I know a little boy with SID who has to slam into the wall while he walks, squeezes hands too hard to hold and has to have a chewy in his mouth in order to concentrate during academics in preschool. There's a wide variant with this- no two kids are alike- but if you suspect your son is seeking input then he probably is. Florins mom has wonderful input and links. I hope she chimes in!

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com has a really good checklist, and is divided up by area. My daughter has oral aversion, and seeks large movement. My son is an avoider, same as Avasmom's son, of touching things and also certain sounds. It's confusing though, because my daughter chews on everything inappropriate, which at first glance looks like she is seeking, but if you look at what she's chewing, and how little input she's getting from it, it makes sense. She hates food, which has taste, texture, smell, but loves eating toys which have little taste, little smell, and only texture. My son has never qualified for any service either, which sucks, but I've always been able to ask my daughter's therapists about him.

What symptoms are you seeing? There are the "over responder" symptoms and the "under responder" symptoms, and the more difficult, over or under respond to different things!

This writer is a PT:

http://theparentingpassageway.com/2011/10/20/an-effective-sensory-diet-for- your-homeschool-the-over-responders/

http://theparentingpassageway.com/2011/10/26/an-effective-sensory-diet-for- your-homeschool-the-under-responsive-child/

I would recommend filling out the checklist mentioned above. My daughter has fairly mild sensory issues (compared to most preemies) and we had learned to handle the ones she had at home. It didn't affect her in school until 3rd grade when classes number was reduced and number of kids per class went up. I was surprised how many things I could check off on the checklist. We took our daughter to a developmental pediatrician who was able to watch her and figure out which symptoms were truely sensory and which were due to ADHD (runs in the family) We found an OT with our insurance plan who works with our daughter on her sensory issues for 9 months. She is much improved. I would recommend finding an OT or developmental pediatrician to do an evaluation and then provide OT services if necessary. It can be especially helpful at such a young age to start working on sensory issues.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders