My 5 month old daughter is going to have a VP shunt placed next week. She has met all the milestones for her corrected age but they still think she needs a shunt. I was curious how other children have reacted to a VP shunt. If anyone could answer any of the questions below I would really appreciate it.
1. Did it seem like the surgery to place the shunt was painful for your child?
2. Was there any bruising?
3. Did your child’s behavior, personality, motor function change?
4. Is it true that if you place a shunt you have a 33% chance of developing seizures?
5. What complications have you had with the shunt?
6. Is the shunt hidden or can anyone notice it?
7. Is this something my daughter will need forever or will her brain’s drainage system eventually start draining her ventricles?
8. Will the ventricles always decrease in size after the shunt placement?
Sorry for so many questions this just scares me to death. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.