Questions about SSI

I was just wondering about SSI. I filed the application before my daughter even left the hospital and that's been almost 1 month. She recieved her money from the hospital stay itself and I just recently got a letter saying she would be recieveing $30.00 every month. I was just wondering if that is a normal amount and what they base it on. My fiance (non-bio dad) is the only one working. Also when we were filing the application the lady had said something about a one time fee of $674 to help buy everything we need. Well now others are saying they never heard of that. Also they are still mailing things to my parents house which I'm not even sure how they got the address because I haven't lived there in over a year. I've already called to have them change it but they obviously didn't do it yet. Anyway I was just wondering if any of you recieved the $674 payment when your child was discharged and also if you don't mind sharing what you recieve a month. She was born at 2 pounds 4 ounces so she was under the 1200 grams guideline. Any info would be very helpful. I just wonder if somehow they have things mixed up when my parents tried to apply for SSI for me a few years ago meaning they have their address.

17 replies. Join the discussion

Did you go to the ss office when your daughter was discharged from the hospital? When I applied my son was still hospitalized and he got the 30 per month then when he was discharged I had to go to the ss office with his discharge papers to change his status. I get 674 per month.

They base the money strictly on income. They would need to see a copy of your fiances income if he is the only one working. The max bennefit is $30 month while in the hospital and $674 /month once they go home. You have to go back to the SS office once the baby is discharged and change the status. I would go up there and see what's up or they will keep sending you the $30/month. They did backpay Violet from her discharge date...it was a nice.

how would some one go about guessing what they were gonna get?

Same here. we got the $30 every month till my baby girl left the hospital then the SS office had to be notified that she was home. Now it is based on fiances income. If he makes under $3000.00 in a month she gets the whole $674.00 if he makes over $3000.00 a month then she gets a smaller set amount. The ss office also takes into consideration if the person who brings in the income has child support to pay then the pay may differ as well, then the amount can be more.

my daughter is 16 mo and i applied for it back in june...i just got word from them this week that she was approved by the state but it has to go through the county for approval as well, and that they have until the end of the week to make the call. and my daughter will get the $674/month until she is 3 years old if she is approved.

We received $30 a month while my son was in the hospital, once he came home it stopped because we "make to much money" (ugh everytime I hear that) Anyways we did receive the $674 one time payment. I know ssi is strictly on income and I'm sure it has to do with which state and county you live in. It's such a battle trying to get care for your LO's don't give up keep fighting.

We also recieved the $30 checks for each of my girls and recieved the $600 when wach were discharged. Based on our income and the fact that theyre quads we still recieve a hefty amount monthly, but for the girls only as they had the low birth weight. Talk to your social worker, they should be able to give you much more info. good luck!

I don't have a social worker so I don't know who to talk to. Every time I call the SSI office they give me a different story. The lady I talked to today said she wouldnt' get it because she doesn't have any disabilities and then the next minute she said that she may recieve it up to a year based on her low birth weight and then it would be re-evaluated. I've called them 2 times now to let them know she was out of the hospital because they screwed something up the first time and now I have to send discharge papers and some other info to even prove she's out of the hospital. She's been home now almost a month and they're just now starting to try and figure things out if she even gets it. Do your kids have actual disabilities or do they receive it based on the low birth weight?

You NEED to go in to the SSI office. Due to her weight, your daughter qualifies for up to a year. Then she has to be re-evaluated. That can take months or years. One of my twins was approved last October (I applied for both in July) and his brother who has the more severe disabilities is now awaiting a hearing (likely another year wait). The $674 is the full payment. However, if you are not paying for your own housing and food, they will subtract 1/3. Someone else paying for your food and housing is called "in-kind support and maintanence." It is in the federal guidelines and there is no way around it. If you have no income and can't prove that you are paying for housing expenses yourself, they will subtract the 1/3. I actually have a legally binding loan from my mom to pay my housing expenses, but am getting $449 a month for my son who was approved. My loan (called and in-kind loan) was determined by the SSA to not be a loan, but we have the hearing for this next month. My son's attorney agrees that it is a loan.

As for the address, you need to get that changed! I believe you have only ten days to make this change after you know it is wrong. After that they can stop payments of something like that (not likely). Just get it changed ASAP to cover yourself.

does any one know the rules if we arent filing for ssi based on weight?
my daughter has chronic kidney disease..
he told me we wouldnt be back dated.. nor would we get the 674$.. although my husband makes under 3,000$ a month?

i hate how we all hear different things when its nationwide the same..

Noah didn't get SSI for weight, but for his birth defects--esophageal atresia. Basically we only had to have a statement from a doctor saying that his sole nutrition was from a feeding tube. I really had no problems getting it started.. I applied when he was still in the hospital, but he was released just as they were approving it (he was only in for 31 days and I didn't apply until he was 2 weeks old) so he never got only $30. His check was figured on hubby's income, our living expenses and the fact we had another child.

My girls did qualify for low birth weight and that alone. As far as the disability thing... idk. One of my boys has hydrocephalus and a shunt and also had level 3and4 IVH resulting in PVL. He and one of my daughters are at high risk for CP (nothing diagnosed yet bc theyre still too young) and they didnt seem to care about that. It's a weird system.

I got 30.00 a month while Alexa was in the hospital but never heard of getting a one time amount.

We got 30.00 while she was in nicu, once she was released we starting getting the 674.00
I stay at home with her, while my husband works. Its nice to have and you really should go to the office.

I got ssi checks for Sean because he was born a 1 lb 9 oz, and in our state (PA) I was told any baby born under 2 lb 10 oz qualifies no matter how much income the parents make. We got checks in the mail for $30 a week for him, and I was told when he is released from the hospital to contact SS. I did and then one day I got a check for over $600 (can't confirm it was $674). I called them and they said it was part of his "income".

We don't get checks anymore for him though, but we do have him on medical assistance and WIC.

Hope that helped you.

OMG I hate the SSI office. I called the day after Hassan left the hospital and the office phones kept hanging up on me. I then called the 1800 number and that lady sent a message to the office to call me. I then recieved two $30.00 checks ( two different months) and no call. So, I called again (to the 1800 number since no one at the office can answer the phone) and he changed my status and said it usually take 2 months from the time they leave the hospital to go into effect and if you will be recieving any money, they will reinburse you. So that may be your problem, they also will send you a letter a head of time with how much you'll be getting.

babycooper,

There are tons of rules out there! You can look at http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/ChildhoodListings.htm for the criteria for specific conditions. However, there are other ways to qualify if a condition does not meet or medically equal one of those listings. That gets very complicated.

Benefits are retroactive to the month after you apply for benefits. Even though it is a federal program, income guidelines are different for different states. This is because some states supplement SSI and some don't. So the $674 is the federal amount of SSI, but some states pay an additional amount to that federal amount. Also, they will subtract for income. If there is income in the household, you are not very likely to get the $674. That laws for this are complicated, too.

As far as qualifying for SSI based on the disability, that is the same nationwide. What is different in some states is the income guidelines and benefit amount.

Always go in to you SSA office if you need something! It is a huge pain and a waste of time, but you are not likely to get anything done by phone.

Good luck!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders