Premature rupture of membranes

Has anyone had any experience with premature rupture of membranes? How many weeks were you when it happened? What was the level of your amniotic fluid? At how many weeks was your baby born? Was there anything wrong with your baby other than prematurity? I am the mother of a thirty weeker... doing great now. My cousin just went into the hospital at 24 weeks for premature rupture of membranes. Any input that anyone may have would be helpful. Thank you!

45 replies. Join the discussion

I had PPROM at 19 weeks, and I stayed on bedrest for 6 weeks until I had to deliver my son via C-Section at 25 weeks 1 day. My baby boy was 1lb 8 oz 12 inches and is now over 11lbs and around 23 inches! We had ingrunal hernia repair, ROP laser surgery, and a straph infection! My little guy was a fighter through it all and he's still strong! I'm so proud of him! God is so good. He held my body so that my son could survive! My doctor took my baby because I was getting a fever and she didn't want it to progress into Sepsis (infection). The NICU experience seemed never ending but, in the end we are alive and well. My baby is still on 1/8 liter O2 but we are weaning him off of it now! He will be 1 in December and this time home is passing so quickly. So, I have a testimony that things can work out well for you and your baby with PPROM! Just pray!

She will be in my prayers for sure. God bless mom and kid.

i had rupture membranes at 29 weeks but i wa snot in labor yet so i got the steroids shots and stayed at the high risk pregnancy floor for 1 month so i gave birth to my boy at 33 weeks... my baby is doing sooo good he is now 8 moonths corrected and he is crawling ..he is so smart

I ruptured at 27 weeks. They immediately admitted me and sent me 200 miles by ambulance to a bigger hospital where I stayed on bedrest until I delivered 2.5 weeks later. They said they didn't know what caused the premature rupture. At 29 weeks I had placental abruption and they had to do an emergency c-section.

Tyler was born very healthy, no breathing help needed. He was very large 3lbs 7oz. He was in the NICU for 41 days. He came home a whole month before his due date. He was only on an apnea monitor. We were very fortunate that Tyler had very few problems. Most babies born so early have more issues than Tyler had to deal with.

My advice to your cousin is to take the bed rest seriously. I was up and down to the bathroom sitting up all the time and I think I moved around more than I should have. Good luck!

I Had my first baby at 36 weeks, the dr had to break my water.

My second I had PPROM at 28 weeks and delivered 6 days later at 29 weeks 4 days.

My third I had PPROM at 34 weeks 4 days and delivered that day.

I am not sure what my fluid levels were at. They measured with Chloe (my 29 weeker) but, it was basically completely gone. She got a 0 on the ultrasound for fluid. I would fill back up as long as I didn't move, but, as soon as I'd move my legs or adjust at all, it would all come out again.

With Maxz, my 34 weeker, I filled 3 overnight pads in 10 minutes at home prior to leaving for the hospital, filled another after standing up to walk in the hospital and then left a puddle on the floor from my room to the operating room, because they let me walk, LOL, and I actually saw my foot prints in amniotic fluid on the floor of the operating room!

I just wanted to let everyone know that my cousin delivered her baby last night by emergency c- section. She was exactly 25 weeks. She developed the sepsis that everyone mentioned. Her baby is just a little over a pound and on the ventilator. Please keep her, her husband, and baby Keely Marie in your prayers

Congratulations for the little one.

It ofcourse will be very tough in the NICU. I wish the family good luck.

Hope everything goes well.

My heart and best thoughts are with them all...

I had my membranes rupture at 31 weeks and was on complete bedrest at the hospital. My son was born at 32 weeks weighing 4 lbs 8 oz. He was very healthy. I was given steroid shots to help develop his lungs. He never needed oxygen. He stayed in the hospital for 3 weeks and 2 days getting the strength to eat on his own. He is 5 months now (3 corrected) and weighs over 17 lbs. He had to have surgery for inguinal hernias and has tortocollis which he is going through physical therapy for, but other than that healthy and normal.

I was admitted to the hospital at 29 weeks in labor. I was up getting ready for vacation when I began having contractions 4 minutes apart. By the time we got to the hospital they were about 2-3 minutes apart. They gave me steroid shots and potassium and antibiotic and shipped my via squad to a bigger hospital. Apparently I had lost my water unknowingly to me. You would think that this being my 3rd child I would have known I lost my water. They attempted to try and stop the labor, but about 24 hours later my daughter was born. She came out crying and screaming- a WONDERFUL sound. My daughter did not have any infection but I did and was pumped full of antibiotic for the next 2 days. She is now 15 months and the only issues we have had is her hearing which was solved by getting tubes! Naturally it also stopped the monthly ear infections. She is still slighty behind for her actual age but ahead for her adjusted age.

i pPROMed at 27 weeks gestation and delivered at 28 weeks following one week of hospital bed rest. i lost pretty much all my amniotic fluid when i ruptured...every time my perinatologist came in for an ultrasound, he told me that my baby looked good but that fluid levels were "virtually nonexistent".

my daughter was IUGR and SGA when she was born; at 1 lb. 12 oz. and 13 1/2" long, she measured about the size of a 26-weeker. she came out crying (albeit like a little mouse) and was only on the vent for one day. she spent 104 days in the hospital and came home about 2 1/2 weeks after her due date. she actually was scheduled to come home about a month prior to that until the doctors discovered that her reflux was more severe than previously thought. all kinds of tests, medications, combinations of medications, feeding techniques followed before we finally decided that the best option for her was a nissen (no g-tube). while in surgery, the doctors found that a huge part of her reflux issues was due to a hiatal hernia and that was fixed as well.

she has now been home for almost a year and is fifteen months old (actual) and just shy of one year corrected. developmentally, she is on-target to advanced for her corrected age and in many instances, is even on-target for the actual age. about two weeks ago, she bravely took her first steps! currently, our only concern is that she is still a little small for her actual age and we work closely with her gastroenterologist and nutritionist to ensure we are maximizing her intake. aside from that, we have been so incredibly blessed that she is beautiful, healthy, and happy!

my prayers are with your cousin and all the babies here.

On June 8th I was admitted to the hospital for a ruptured membrane. I was 24 weeks gestational. I was on bed rest for 2 weeks and went into labor on 6/21/08 at 26w+3 days. My son, Madden, was born at 2 pounds 2 ounces 14 inches long. Initially everything looked optimistic, he was breathing room air (on the vent of course) and had great vitals. He is currently in the NICU but we are faced with a grave decision to remove care from him. His first 2 brain scans were normal, grade 1 bleed. One month later they did another and discovered that he had holes in his brain where a great deal of matter is missing. This came out of the blue and has crushed me spiritually, mentally and phyically. He is our only child..I am 37 years old and am fearful of what the future holds for my family. The NICU Dr. states that the chances of me having another Preeemie is great...my OB states that the chances of me having a regular pregnancy in the future are likely. Who do you believe?

babies who are large for gestational age statistically will have an easier time. my youngest brother was 6 1/2 pounds as a 32-weeker! same as your son, he never had any breathing difficulties and had a VERY easy hospital stay...the only problem he had was jaundice. he spent just over two weeks in the hospital before coming home and now he is 22 years old and no one would ever know that he was a preemie! best of luck to you! :)

my first pregnancy was a premature rupture at 22 weeks and I lost my son. My 2nd pregnancy I had a cerclage (they stitch your cervix closed) done and my water broke at 31 weeks. I didn't go into labor and I was hospitalized. I was able to get steriods to help my son's lungs develop. They weren't worried about my water level as they said the babies continously make more. Also you can go several months after your water breaks before giving birth. I was at a top hospital with the best NICU in Illinois. I had my son at 32 weeks and he spent a couple of weeks in the NICU and then came home to be a big healthy boy.

hi i am in the hospital my water broke at 30 weeks and 1 day. I am on bed rest and today were at 31 weeks and 1 day with no contractions or anything! had an ultrasound monday the fluid is 3.87 and shes breech. Doctor wants to keep her in there until 34 or 35 weeks then do a c section.. oh yeah im dialated to two .. dose anybody have any advice or similar stories that would help me? I lost my son william last year to sids ab=nd dont think i can handle another loss.thanks

Hi there. Yes i had pprom during the 24th week . Read my story in my profile. My Baby Girl was Born at Week 40!!! Hang in there!'nn

Sorry i Wrote so Short! My Babys are here and is à Little difficult!!

Hi there. Yes i had pprom during the 24th week . Read my story in my profile. My Baby Girl was Born at Week 40!!! Hang in there!'nn

I had PProm at 30 weeks and i delivered at 32 weeks and 5 days. I had to stay in hospital till i went into labour.

I had a premature rupture of membrane at 31 weeks. Reason was infection in my body. I was suffering from Hep A & e & TYPHOID . All 3 viruses at once in my body. This caused PROM and I had an emergency c section. Gave birth to a baby girl , she is 4 months now adjusted age 2 months.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders