preemie's with apnea / seizures

My son Devin was a 26weeker and a 1 pounder he is now at 47 weeks gestation and is still having apnea. We are at home on oxygen and a apnea monitor and it is proved that it is central apnea and we are treating it with caffine but we are also looking at seizures as a cuse of him having such significant apnea at a late geatatinal age.....has anyone been trough this or knows any information about apneas at this age?? And what do I look for for siezures at home.

14 replies. Join the discussion

I would love to know the answer too. Dealing with it and was about to post the same thing.
Norah.

let me know if you find any thing and I'll do the same Im researching it right now....Whats your situation??

One of mine still had apnea issues after the NICU and was on the apnea monitor for a good while after coming home, but we had no issues with seizures. I will keep your little one in my prayers. Please keep us updated on things with your little one!!

My son was struggling with apnea, as well, and after he was released, I noticed some very weird repetitive breathing issues--mostly at night. We had a hard time waking him up from these events; we would do position changes, take him out of the crib, etc., etc. and he still wouldn't wake up. When he did, he would seem very disoriented. The doctors initially thought they were seizures, after I videotaped a few of the incidents. However, after having an overnight EEG and trying a few other ways to more aggressively wake him up, we determined he was responding to stimulus during the events--albeit aggressive stimulus. That basically ruled out seizures. Now, the general opinion seems to be that he has Sandifer's Syndrome, which is a reflux-related disorder (silent reflux) which mimics seizures. They started him on a twice/day Zantac regimen and we are seeing a decrease in the frequency of events. Message me if you woud like more information--but you may suggest your baby be evaluated for possible reflux.

please have him checked for silent reflux .My girl 27wker had ap/brad episodes.I googled a lot and found out she has silent reflux..and that sometimes even reflux cud cause these episodes.turns out i was right ..it reduced considerably after her prevacid dosage..now i know prevacid does not stop reflux but it helped.also amby baby ..u can either get a used one or i think some other company has cheaper version of amby baby .

We have had several studies done fro reflux, 24hour probe, twice, PCG, upper GI, video swallow test, EEG and a 8hour overnight sleep study. Devin is 47 weeks gestation and is still ahving significant apnea so thats why we have done so many studies. They have found that he has central apnea or apnea of prematurity. which he shouldve already gown out of. but hasnt so they feel like it may be somthing else, but all reflux test have come back showing nothing. I feeel like it may be seizures because there are episodea that he stiffins up......What do you think??

Devin is on caffine, previcid and reglan....but all of his studies have proven to be cental apnea and not reflux. they are treating the reflux "just in case"!!

If you had an overnight sleep study and it didn't show any seizure events--then it's unlikely they are seizures. Basically, about 50% of seizure events will be recorded in a 30-min EEG. Obviously, the longer the EEG, the more likely it is to catch seizures. Our sleep study didn't show anything either--and the neurologist told us that although it is maginally possible the events were seizures, it was highly unlikely if an 8 hour EEG showed nothing. My son suffered from apnea of prematurity for quite some time after his 40 week mark too--sometimes they still have immature systems.

Unfortuantley sezuires comes in many different forms and types. Our Daughter died from one and none of her doctors or us even knew she having sezierues

Adayah is still on her sleep apnea mointor, she came home with it in June. I am greatful that she does have it. Our first died of SIDS and the doctor thinks that it is best that she stay on the mointor because she has CLD and because she too is a risk for SIDS.

Im sorry, Did she have any studies done??

Im sorry to hear about your other child......What is CLD??

she has Chronic Lung Disease (CLD), she was a 23 weeker 1lb and 1oz. born 2/26/08 with many issues, She was in NICU for 4 mths. She came home on oxygen and the sleep apnea mointor. She was finally taken off the Oxygen in November. She had surgery last month on her AIr way passage. I want to keep the mointor as long as possible especially since our first died of SIDS

What's your seizure question? I've learned a lot about seizures over the past year....

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders