preemie and SSI

I would like to know more info on getting SSI for my preemie she was 2lbs 14oz when she was born and we live in texas thanks

11 replies. Join the discussion

My son born at 25 weeks gets it..you just call then and apply for him. They'll ask about his history and you'll need his discharge papers from the nicu..as ling as he still in hospital they will give u $3 a Month until he comes home, when he comes home it goes up to $472 a month.

I'm sorry...she!

Are you still in the NICU? Your social worker should have all that information. I live in TX also. MY girls qualified for the time they were in the NICU but when we came home they no longer qualified due to income. ONce you come home you have to notify SSI and they re-evaluate your claim. It took FOREVER to get them approved. I'm talking about 6 months for one of my twins so you want to do it asap. You will need to answer alot of questions about your income, assets, babies medical info etc. Good luck!

My Daughter gets SSI. She was born at 830 grams. SSI rules is that the child has to be UNDER 1200 grams. We got 30 dollars a month while she was in the NICU. So if my math is right your daughter was 1,028 grams. The social worker for our NICU submitted our stuff to Social Security automatically when she got word that my Daughter was born. The month we come home we got $638. If u make more then 38,000 a year u wont qualify for SSI. We still receive 560 a month for her she is 5 and has a GTUBE. and some growth issues. If u have any questions feel free to ask

I too am in tx and two of mine qualified due to low birth weight. One was 2lb7oz one was 2lb10oz and that was the cut off. One of my boys was 2lb11oz and did not qualify. For sure talk with your social worker.

My daughter qualified while in the nicu and we received $30 a month. After that she was discharged from the program because she was stable and weighed more than the 2lb 10 ounce cut with no serious issues. A month later her feeding issues began and we could have reapplied but our income was way too high. Our daughter is disabled and uses TEFRA which is a type of medicaid for disabled or chronically ill children from families with higher incomes.

Hi guys i seem lost with this topic. What is SSI if i may ask pls

SSI is Social Security. Most people think it is just for elderly people who have retired but it is also for disabled children and adults and in our cases very low birth weight children.

Oh ok. Thanks a lot. My daughter was born 1lbs 6oz @ 26 wks 2days so am uessing she qualifies

One of my twins weighed 1 lb 6 oz and she qualified. Talk to your social worker asap to get the ball rolling.

Have you all had trouble stopping the benefits? In November of 2010 I told them my daughter was home a knew we wouldn't qualify. I had to go in because I couldn't find anyone to talk with over the phone. For some reason, I got a new card for her this week. So frustrating because it's been been a year in a half since she qualified.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders