pPROM at 14,16,17 weeks

I went into my doctor's office at 14 weeks because of a lot of watery discharge. The doctor did two tests-one to check the ph level, and one to look at the discharge under a microscope. The ph was high, and the discharge looked off, so I was put on antibiotics-it was an infection. When I went in two weeks later, the watery discharge was worse, and because I had pPROM with my daughter at ~32 weeks, I recognized the smell of amniotic fluid. The doctor did two tests, and decided it must still be the infection, so I went on another round of antibiotics. The antibiotics didn't seem to change my fluid much, but I did start p17 shots which seemed to help. I called the doctor about my continued concern. He had me come back in, and this time, both tests came back positive for amniotic fluid. I was very sad, but not too shocked. At first, the recommendation was to terminate the pregnancy, but the fluid levels around the baby were pretty good, so I saw my perinatologist. She did an ultrasound to check on the baby, and he was doing well. I was given the option to terminate again or to go on bed rest until 24 weeks at which time, I would go to the hospital for bed rest. I am still leaking fluid, and I am almost 18 weeks-baby boy was measuring 18 weeks last week. I go to the doctor's today to check on baby. Of course, I'm very worried about the baby, infection, prematurity, loss of fluid, and sanity while being on bed rest. Has anyone had fluid leak this early, and still gone on to have a good outcome? If so, what did you do?

14 replies. Join the discussion

Mine didn't break as early as yours. I had PROM at 25 weeks and got addmitted to hospital bedrest a week later. One thing I learned is that even after your water breaks early like that you will still produce amniotic fluid until baby is born. YOu will just produce more and then normally when you stand up it will leak again. One thing that happened to me is that my I did get an infection while i was on bedrest and my son got the infection from me putting me into labor. My son was born at 29weeks with the infection and he was so swollen. He was placed on oscillating ventialator for over a month, and many diferrent types of ventilators after that. He survived, but chances were not good at all. He was the sickest baby in our NICU and just seeing him sufffer from the sepsis was horrible. That was at 29weeks. There is a chance you can still carry your child to full term as long as you don't get another infection. And as long as your baby doesn't get an infection. My son has had a long tough road since birth, it has not been easy. He has 2 shunts, CP, and is 100% tube fed. Of course it is different for everyone. You are much earlier for PPROM than i was, I am praying for you. I'm not trying to scare you, i just thought I'd share my experiences with this situation. My suggestions are that you should discuss with your doctor the chances of you getting your baby to term, the risks of infection on you and baby, and the outcome after you child is born if born prematurely. Talk to your family and all loved ones. May god bless you and take care of you. Multiple prayers sent your way!

My daughter in law had pPROM at 15 weeks and my grandson was born at 28 weeks. The amniotic test came back negative, but they performed an ultrasound which showed the fluid was gone. She was put on antibiotics and strict bedrest. She stayed at home until 23 weeks at which time the perinatologist said she was ready for the hospital. She spent 5 weeks in the hospital, the last week on anti-contraction medicine. Eventually she began running a fever and my grandson was delivered immediately. He had a rough start in the NICU but came home just before his due date. He had another month on oxygen after that. He is now nine months old and is doing great. He needs some minor phycial therapy for some of his joints, but it is nothing major. The doctors tell us he is a miracle, but it is possible and something to pray for.

my water broke at 28 weeks and i stayed on hosptial bed rest till i delivered at 31 weeks 5 days. its not as earily as you. but the nurses there told me that they have had ladies in there for up to 12 weeks before.

I had leakage of fluid from very early on in my second pregnancy, I think it started at about 10 weeks. At 22 weeks I had a scan which showed no fluid so I was admitted and treated with antibiotics. My daughter was born at 26 +4 weeks after I had a big bleed. She is now 11 weeks old and still in intensive care but doing well. Her lungs had not grown well so she has needed alot of help with her breathing, she was still on a ventilator at six weeks but now is breathing for herself and learning how to feed. We will hopefully be going home reasonably soon. She gets breathless easily and sleeps alot but is very alert and interactive when she is awake.
We were also encouraged to terminate and told that our daughter would not survive but we chose to keep going. I have given up my job and my son has seen very little of his mother in the last few months. The life that we knew suddenly ended along with most of our plans but our little girl is fabulous and we will hopefully be a family again soon.
I think it is a very natural instinct to want to fight for your child and protect her best you can. I wish you the best of luck with your pregnancy and your baby, keep him or her inside as long as you can.

I had pPROM at 22 weeks and was dilated to a 3. I was admitted to the hospital and told I would most likely deliver and the baby would not be resusitated due to our state laws. My fluid level around the baby had gone down to 3. I remained on hospital bedrest in the trendillenbug position (head down, feet up) for a week and put on IV toradol steroids. My fluid level slowly built back up, and after 2 months of strict hospital bedrest (no shower priviliedges!) we delivered my daughter at 29 w 4d. She was in the NICU for 2 months, but has done beautifully. Even my perinatologist had to admit a miracle as we were told by the neonatalogist that survival was not likely and then a social worker was sent in to ask about funeral arrangements for our baby. At that time, my husband urged me to hang on and pray, so that is what we did. I would never assume to decide for someone else how to make the decision whether to terminate or continue, but we made it, and thank god my husband pushed me to hang in there. It wasn't easy, and I swear I have post-traumatic stress disorder from the memories of bedrest! But, I wouldn't change it for the world.

Are you still wanting success stories with PPROM?

That just scarses me ... How do u k oe u have pprom or infection?? What are the symptoms

Thank you everyone! I'm still hanging in there. I'm 23 weeks on bed rest at home. I go to the hospital next Sunday to start steroids and antibiotics until I deliver. So far my fluid levels have been normal, and I leak very little fluid. I hope it stays that way for as long as I can make it. My goal is 28 weeks, but longer would be nicer. Again thank you for the stories.

Update

I'm 28 weeks tomorrow. Thankfully, my perinatologists believe that I have resealed thus I'm not in the hospital. They even said I can go back to work. I ended up taking my personal leave to make it to 32 weeks before I go back to work as I'm worried about re-repture. I pray every day that I make it to 37 weeks.

Whoa mama :) that's good news! :) i really hope u make it even to 40 .:) the longer the better right??

and see, they push and push to kill the baby, and look, now you are 28 weeks and have resealed. how tragic it would have been if you had listened to the macabre advise to kill the baby. i will never understand why they push to kill the baby if things look bad, i mean, i dont get it, if the baby is so bad off that it may die, why kill it brutally? why not let it have a chance? why not let the baby at least have the dignity of being wrapped in a blanket or held and loved it it is going to die anyway?
im so glad you and baby are doing so well! congrats on making it this far! awsome!

my pprom was at 15 weeks with no water i gave birth at 31weeks 1.1 lbs she progressed really fast at getting better but there was so many complication ..her lungs weren't fully developed the hospital had giving me steroid weeks before i gave birth she had been in nicu for 3 month and been on oxygen for that time ..having that much oxygen messes up your eye sight so she wears glasses ..she also had hip dislocation took 3 surgery to fix them but also her knees were born where they bend inwards which orthopedic doctor had to break her knees the other way :[ her first year she had cast and braces on her legs ..she might have ADHD and is behind on learning at school she is 6 years old now very hyper active ..oh yeah she has asthma and get bronchitis a lot very prune to getting sick ..before all this doctor just wanted me to have abortion but i couldn't after hearing my baby's heart beat they just wanted me to be on bed rest or left in the hospital never got an infection .. truly a miracle ..stay strong

Well, this story has a happy ending. My little man arrived at 37 weeks 4 days. He is absolutely perfect-a take home baby. I hope and pray others with second trimester pprom have a happy ending as well. It was a mind numbing experience, but in the end I feel like I made the right decisions.

I am so happy baby arrived safely! My water broke at 19.Weeks and I am 27 Weeks today. Praying I make it to the 33 or 34 Weeks which is as far as they will let me go.

Now your post is an inspiration for mamas with :)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders