pediasure vs kids essentials

Does anyone know the difference between pediasure and kids essentials? Our ped told us to use pediasure because of poor weight gain with one of the boys but he wasn't very interested (he just doesn't like milk much) so I was looking for it in a box and straw combo since he does like to drink out of boxes. I couldn't find it for pediasure but did find it in kids essentials and he loves it.

9 replies. Join the discussion

Here is a link to a comparision chart for the two

http://www.kidessentials.com/Pages/comparisonchart.aspx

My daughter has taken and tolerated both. She started on pediasure at 10 months old and was then switched to boost kid essential 1.5 last fall for poor weight gain.

they are both for poor weight gain my son liked pediasure more but its different for every kid. My nutrionist gave us both pediasure and boost to try andnsaid thy do the same thing she also gave us something called nutren.

What about Carnation Instant Breakfast? My DD never cared for Pediasure or the Walmart version, but loved CIB. It is (or used to be, at least) cheaper, too.

Pediasure, Kid Essentials, & Carnation Instant Breakfast with whole milk are all comparable, according to my daughter's doctors. All to help with weight gain and to fill the nutritional gaps. My daughter likes CIB, thank God, because it's cheaper!! But when on the go she likes the Boost Kid Essentials. :)

Eliza was briefly on Pediasure when she was about 15 months. She did not tolerate it well and it seemed to increase her vomiting which was already at 10 to 15 times a day (this may have been a coincidence, but who knows). She drinks Boost Kids Essentials and likes it. Having tasted both myself, Boost tastes better to me than Pediasure. Eliza is 4 yrs 3 mos old and gets 80% to 90% of her nutrition form Boost since she eats virtually no solids or purees.

One reason I really preferred Boost was because of the juice box style. Eliza drank from a bottle until her 4th birthday when she started drinking from the Boost box. Since she has poor oral motor skills she could never master a sippy cup or straw cup with a valve and because of her sensory issues would not drink milky liquids from an open cup, the box style of Boost has worked well for us.

Anne, mom to Eliza Grace
26w 4d 575gr 3/15/06
www.eliza-grace-micro-preemie.blogspot.com

Just wondering... my daughter is drinking Pediasure to help with poor weight gain. A previous post mentioned that the Walmart version was comparable. Did anyone notice a difference between the store version and the "real thing". It is cheaper than Pediasure. I buy the Pediasure by the case at SAMS club, but they only carry vanilla. I can get chocolate and strawberry if I go with the store brand. I figure variety might help her eat more.

I second a PP who suggested Carnation Instant Breakfast. My daughter wasn't keen on plain milk and very much needed the extra calories and nutrients. As suggested by her GI, we mix Lynsey's CIB with "super milk" (1/2c whole milk & 1/2c evaporated milk); 8 oz will come out to roughly 370 calories. We've been using it for almost two years and it's worked really well for her.

Quick question is pediasure a milk base? What I mean is I never tried James on regular milk yet because he went to pediasure but my dr said he could be on milk ( thats before the nutrtionist told me to put him on pediasure) And I didnt know if pediasure was like milk or when I give him do I still need to start him out slowly before giving it to him.

can you buy pediasure at walmart?? in the baby section?? is it cheaper at costco? we'll be switching over in the next few months and i just realized how expensive it is.. yiikes!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders