Pea size lump...what is it??

Last week I found a pea size lump on the back of my daughter's head. It was a bit soft and moved when you pushed on it. I immediately took her to the ped and she diddn't seem overly concerned. What we did discover was that she had a ear infection in the right ear which is where the lump is located on the right side. Has anyone experience this and does the lump have anything to do with the ear infection or is it just coincidence? I would appreciate any input on this although my ped says not to worry and it should go away on its own, as a preemie mom its hard not to worry.
my daughter is a 30 weeker, who is 7 months old-5 months adj.

6 replies. Join the discussion

Hi, I am a mother of a 26 weeker, but she doesn't have a bump on her head. I have a niece with your situation. Her's was a size of a walnut. I was told it could be a swollen lymph node and as she got older it should go back to normal. Well, it never shrunked back, so at the age of one the docs. dicided to remove the lump. Just make sure It doesn't getting bigger and keep a good eye on it.

kam

Hi my daughter has also had one of these small pea size knot's behind her ear. Her doctor told me it is a lymph node and not to worry about it unless it started to get bigger very quickly or was red and warm. He said it could be from any infection, cold , ear infection, craddle cap, scratch, anything. He said his son had one and didn't go away until age 3. He didn't seem to be concerned about it either although I was. Just keep an eye on it and report any change to your doctor.

My daugther has two of these lumps - one on each side of her head, behind her ears near the bottom of her hairline. I thought they were lymph nodes. I asked the doctor about it and he said it was just a collection of soft tissue. I asked if they would go away and he said as her head got bigger they may smooth out. He was not concerned about them at all. I agree that it might be an issue if it's gets dramatically bigger quickly or is red or warm or painful.

Your Pediatrician should have explained it was a lymph node and something that is quite normal to see when a child is sick. They can be towards the back where the skull and neck meet or on the sides that are the most noticeable.

Anytime your baby gets sick or is fighting off an infection they will swell. Most are pea size but can be bigger.

The thinner the baby the more noticeable. I never noticed on my oldest but with my premie when he turns his head a certain way I see the tell tale "pea". It can be scary. The first time I freaked and starting looking up info. on the net and once I came across what it was I felt better but still uneasy and the Ped. to my fears to rest. You cant help but wonder if a premies immune system is being bombarded and not worry about all kinds of things that could cause this...

Sometimes I can feel it other times I cant.. Now that he is 28 months adjusted I am seeing it less and it is always on the same side (left) near the back of his neck where the skull/neck meet (near behind the ear) that I always notice it. A few times I saw the "pea" on the left side of his neck.

Dont irritate it by pushing on it and once the infection is gone the lymph nodes should go back down in size. Its her immune system/lymphatic system responding to a cold/infections and doing its job to fight it.

If you notice they are swollen and she doesnt have a cold, etc. and after her nodes are still swollen then I would see the Dr.

thanks to all for your shared expereinces. What i enjoy most about this forum is that whenever i feel unsure or just need to hear from another preemie mom this site comes through for me. thanks again and god bless you all and your babies

daphne

Ditto to all the above! My son had the same and the doc said it's most likely due to crade cap, because he didn't have any other signs of infection.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders