News Story of Photos taken after baby passed away

I heard about this news story and I can't imagine this mother's pain...

http://www.wlwt.com/r/27969363/detail.html

44 replies. Join the discussion

I can't imagine her pain either... the hospital made a mistake, obviously in not consulting her. I think that it was a bit much to have so many poses and such, but is it worth a lawsuit? Those pictures cannot replace her memories, so I don't know what she's talking about there. I think it's foolish to sue the hospital. It's only going to cause more pain and draw it out. Someone obviously thought they were doing a kind deed. They should have consulted the mother first, though.

Sounds like the hospital made a mistake by doing so without her permission and against her wishes. When I lost my daughter, without asking me, the hospital took pictures of my little girl wrapped in a little blanket, next to a sea shell, with a little gold ring around her arm, with a little white teddy bear, and dressed in a little gown. They put the pictures on a disk in my memory box along with the little blanket, gown, teddy bear, shell, and little ring... that's all I left the hospital with. Perhaps it's different because I lost by daughter at 16 weeks gestation, so it was concidered a miscarriage and not a registered birth. However, I can't put into words how much those pictures mean to me, they are all I have to remember her. In fact the six year anniversary of her loss was earlier this month, I got out the memory box and put the disk in my computer and looked at the pictures and had a nice healthy cry. I am forever thankful and grateful that my hospital took those pictures for me.

I really disagree with this mom suing the hospital. While they have made a mistake, I do not think it was done with maliscious intent. They only wanted to provide the family with keepsakes and memories and I do not think they intended to "play" with the baby. The photos I have of my sons after they passed are priceless and I am glad they have them. Even if the mother does not feel the same way, is getting money from the hospital going to make her feel any better??? Something about this just does not sit right with me.

I understand where she's coming from by getting these photos by surprise during a time of healing. It's like pouring salt on an open wound. At the same time, I've been in her shoes, except I was sent home with a box of pictures (I didn't know were taken), hand prints, foot prints, beanie, blanket, etc. of my son who I lost at 22 weeks. When I finally got the courage to open the box, I was so grateful to that nurse who made such a thing. She created a memory box out of the kindness of her heart and I think that was the intention behind the album.

Wow. To me, 154 pictures with 20 poses, doesn't sit well. That seems really odd to me. I can understand how she feels he was treated like a doll. And if she really did say she didn't want any photos of him after he died, then that should have been honored. I'm not sure if I would feel the same way in that situation, but it should absolutely be the mother's decision if photos are taken.

I would be furious! Iknow how much it hurt that I didn't feel like our daughter was ours while she was still in the NICU and it would hurt me so bad to know that someone else did what they wanter with her, without my permission. I would absolutely sue the hospital! If the funeral director had posed my mom and taken over 150 pictures of her after she had passed away and been left in his care, I don't think there would be a question as to whether or not it was appropriate!There's no difference here!

I would definitely sue...3-4 pics were fine but not 150 inspite of being told no by the mom. I believe it was done with good intention but should have been done more modestly.

I've been thinking about this ever since I read it. I understand the mom being upset, she had every right to be given her wishes were for no pictures. That being said, there must have been a miscommunication at the hospital. Obviously the pictures were not taken in malice or with a negative intent, so I don't think to sue is appropriate. I'm sure she is deeply grieving her loss, which I know must be very painful. I recall when the hospital told me of the pictures they took that I told myself I'd never look at them. I didn't want to meet my daughter or see any pictures I was so distraught. So I took the memory box home (almost left it, stating I didn't want or need it). Months later when I was strong enough I was able to look in the memory box, then eventually look at the pictures, which I was shocked how beautiful she way given she was only 16 wks gestation. As I mentioned before, I can not put into words how much the memory box and those pictures mean to me. I know her gut reaction is to destroy the pictures, like my gut reaction was to never meet my daughter (which to this day I regret not spending more time with her because I was too weak and couldn't handle it), hopefully she will someday cherish these pictures. I don't think any women who recently lost a child is in sound mind to destroy any pictures of their child, which is very understandable.

Still, it's almost as if the hospital is saying to the mom, "We undersatnd that you THINK you don't want the photos, but we know what's best for you.You will thank us for it someday." If she didn't want them, they shouldn't have taken them. Period. She may regret it later but it's not the hospital's right to go agaist her wishes, even with the best intentions.

ok, so i have mixed feelings here. oon one hand i WISH our hospital would have done that. ive had 2 preemies pass away, and i cherish every memorial photo i have. i cherish the little items and clothing we were given that the photos were taken with. this lady is very upset but i think her upset feelings over her sons death are displaced and she is projecting all the anger to the hospital .this issue that isnt a malicious or negative thing in any way is somehow now evl and bad in her mind, she feels like they hurt her baby. but in reality, all they did was try to provide a greiving mom with a memory keepsake. NILMDTS is anorganisation that does this for parents, and i wish we had had them.
however, the amount of photos seems odd, thats alot of poses with a dead infant. we have 3-4 different pictures, and a beautiful posed picture of them swaddled or looking like they were sleeping would have been treasured by me, but 120 pics seems alot of manipulation of his body.
i do see why they took the pics anyway, even if she said no, because we dont always make good decisions in a painful greif stricken moment, and lets face it, in a situation like this, if you say no to pics becase you think its weird or gross, you cant go back later, the baby is gone.
with our first still birth my husband didnt think he wanted to even see the baby, let alone hold him, but then once he was born, he saw his child, and knew he had to hold him. its like that with pics, you may not think you want to taint your memory of them with dead photos but later on....youll wish you had them. i think the nurses know this , and wanted to help. even though im still troubled by the sheer amount of poses. that seems very odd, kind of creepy.
but the lawsuit is silly, its going to make some crazy law that nurses cant take photos or something.

I think the lawsuit is a little extreme and I don't think the hospital probably did it intentionally to hurt her. It was most likely a big misunderstanding. I do feel bad for the mother but lawsuits are just too extreme anymore. It will probably make her more miserable to take this to court!

Honestly, the more I've thought about this story, the more disturbed I am. A mom looses her baby, says she doesn't want pictures of him after death, she wants to remember him when he was alive. And then the nurse(s) dress him in several outfits with several props and pose him over 20 times and take 154 pictures? I just don't even see how they had the time to do all that. I mean, that's a considerable amount of pictures and poses. Why didn't that feel weird to them at any point? This was somebody else's baby...who gives them the right to dress him and have a photo session like that? I agree with laurakennedy77 - if this was done with anyone other than a baby - like a deceased older child or adult, how would people react? Because to me, it's not any different.

laurakennedy77-
I totally agree with you. They should have presented this as an option to the family and had them sign off on it. It's extremely disturbing. I can't imagine their pain and I think the lawsuit may be based on anger, but well founded anger that may help direct hospitals in thinking a little harder in the future.

After I think about this more, I am sickened inside. This is really upsetting.

Please everyone, I get it that this story is upsetting but the facts are still only "alleged". My baby was in this NICU for 119 days and I can not imagine this place doing this exactly as it reads. I can tell you that Good Samaritan Hospital NICU in Cincinnati saved my babies life and the nurses (who typically take the pictures) are incredibly loving and go above and beyond to support families and save babies. Living in Cincinnati, I am also very familiar with the lawyer on this case and he is known to exagerate the facts and has even been in trouble due to his practicing of law on numerous occasions (I believe he is currently banned from practicing in Kentucky as a result). My husband wrote an email to him after this story came out, reminding him of quotes in other cases where he referred to this hospital as being stellar in cases where it benefited him.

I just know that there will be something to explain this mess. I also can tell you that there is no way that this hospital took 150 photos as I saw first hand that they use mainly polaroids and very outdated cameras to take photos for parents. If this truly happened then I am very sorry for the mother, but I just know that this story can not be as it reads!!!

I hate to go against the grain of a few other posters here, but you say that its the same as taking pictures of a deceased oler person, and it isnt. its different when a baby dies. when an adult or older person passes, we already have tons of pictures of them, pictures laughting and smiling, lots of christmases ans memories and family photos. when a baby dies, we dont have that to look at. we have maybe a few pics of them in the nicu with tons of tubes and wires and a vent or c-pap.
but when they are gone we dont have anymore opportunities to make memories, we never really had any real moments to look back on, no pictures of there sweet faces with out the medical equiptment.
or in my case, any pictures of them alive at all outside the womb.
so we take those pictures to see our abies as they should have been, peaceful, dressed in cute outfits, just like we would have done if we could. if i had pictures of them laughing and smiling i wouldnt need so many of them in burial layette.
so it is absolutely different.
i agree that the amount of poses and outfits and pictures seems very strange , after all this is a dead baby , how long did the photo session last? why so mny pics? it is strange.

Addiecakes I hope you are right!!

Thanks, mygirlsmom...I hope I am right too. That NICU staff is a part of our extended family and I just know that this will all come out to be justified. Again, if not, I truly am sorry for the mom and any other mother who has lost a child. I can not imagine the pain!!! Have a good Memorial Day weekend!!!

I think that the new reporter might have shown a little more restraint and not played this up as a 3 minute segment that almost everyone is going to regret later on. I am sure that the hospital did everthing it could to save that child and that the staff there showered the child with love and affection during his short life. I am sure that the parents appreciated those efforts. But I also see this as a time of great emotion and people will do and say things that they later regret on both sides.

The news team should have waited, possibly until the lawsuit was settled or until a definative policy was announced by the hopsital.

Is this really news ?

well, knowing that, and thinking that 150 pics in 20 different poses may be quite an exaggeration, i think this woman is projecting her anger about the loss onto the nicu staff. the staff who tried to do a loving kind act for a greiving family. i wish we had more pictures. this law suit is rediculous, and the poor woman needs councelling. she is obviously not handleing the loss well, and that coming from me, a person who became a virtual human train wreck, and has lost months of her life from all consuming post pardum psychosis after the loss of her 2 children.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders