My daughter was born at 28 weeks and was 2lbs 12oz. Never told about SSI

I was never told about SSI for my daughter till yesterday. She was born at 2lbs 12oz stayed in the NICU for 8 weeks. She is not almost 6 months old and only about 10.5-11lbs. I would like to know if I could still get her on SSI. She is seeing first steps in 2 days to start helping with development. Any info you have would be great.
Thank you

13 replies. Join the discussion

From the SS website: People with disabilities, including children, who have little income and few resources, also may be eligible for disability payments through the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. For more information about SSI, ask for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) (Publication No. 05-11000).
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10024.html#a0=2

I never made little enough money to qualify, but many do.

Yes go ahead and apply you are not to late. I only found out about the SSI because the hospital social worker informed me.

How do I go about applying? It really upsets me that I was never informed about this before. She is my 3rd preemie. With medical costs and apps it sure would have helped us alot.

Go here this should help also. Or call you local office but you should be able to apply online.

http://preemies.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=preemies&cdn=health&tm =7&f=11&su=p284.13.342.ip_&tt=13&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.ssa.gov/pubs/10 026.html

Do you think it would be worth applying for my 20 month old? He was born at 4lbs 3oz 33 weeks. He is also going to start seeing first steps in 2 day. When he walks he is very clumsy and falls all the time. He only says momma, dadda, no, hi, bye bye, baba, nini and screams for everything else.

2 lb. 12 oz is above the cutoff for automatic qualification for low birthweight babies, unless she was also small for gestational age (and at 28 weeks, she wouldn't be). To qualify for birthweight only, for support in the NICU ($30 a month, I believe) a preemie has to weight less than 1200 grams (about 2 lb. 10 oz) at birth or be very small for gestational age yet still under 2000 grams max (for full-term babies).

Here are the weights for the small for gestation babies they go by:

37 - 40 weeks - Less than 2000 grams (4 pounds, 6 ounces)

36 weeks - 1875 grams or less (4 pounds, 2 ounces)

35 weeks - 1700 grams or less (3 pounds, 12 ounces)

34 weeks - 1500 grams or less (3 pounds, 5 ounces)

33 weeks - 1325 grams or less (2 pounds, 15 ounces)

http://preemietwinsandme.blogspot.com/2011/08/did-you-knowyou-can-collect-s si-for.html

To continue qualifying once home, you have to meet certain income levels, and I believe, have a qualifying disability (at least once they renew the SSI). Some babies' cases aren't reviewed for a year or two, but sometimes the parents are required to repay SSI if it appears they had too much income, etc. So it's a tricky thing to get.

I don't think from what you say your baby would qualify. He wouldn't have at birth, and having seven words at 18 months (adjusted) is in the normal range, even...low normal, but still considered okay. Even if he had no words at that age, it wouldn't be too unusual and I don't think you could qualify with that as a true disability. I think they are looking for things like severe CP, blindness, deafness, on a ventilator, etc., in children so young. Maybe not quite that severe, but not something as mild as a potential speech delay at this point.

Courtenay-
That's very helpful information. We didn't even know about SSI when we were in the NICU, but when we got home I asked the pediatrician who told us we couldn't qualify on the income alone.

Once our twins come home they will no longer be eligible (income to high) to receive SSI, they currently get medicaid (which is automatic with SSI) and $30.00 per month. But once they get out of the NICU thats it.

They were 24 weeker's.

Well said Courtaney! Qualifying is actually difficult and having a social worker and social security admin person on your side is very helpful. As you know my little one has multiple disabling conditions but has not qualified for typical medicaid and SSI because of income and high level functioning. Although CP is an automatic qualifier when she's an adult it doesn't help as a dependent (income dependent on parents' income). If one is found to have received SSI when they shouldn't have it will have to be paid back and that's no fun. It's happened several times through the years to members on this board.

Forgive me if this is a repeat, but to qualify your LO would need to be under 1200-1300 grams (can't remember which one) or SGA. Income does not matter on the NICU level, but once your child is discharged income does come into consideration as does disabilities.

My daughter was born at 27wks and weighed 1lb10oz. The social worker assigned to her told me that she was eligible for SSI & Medicaid because of her low birth weight. However; this was only available to her until she was discharged. So the checks that we received went towards formula and fortunately after our medical coverage paid their portion of the hospital stay, Medicaid picked up the rest.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders