MiraLAX, question?

My son is 10 mths old and has been very constipated. Today we saw a GI doctor for the first time and he prescribed him MiraLAX (which is now offered over-the-counter). Has anyone else given MiraLAX to their infant? If so, any likes or dislikes?

Thanks in advance.

10 replies. Join the discussion

My son has been on it for as long as I can remember and it is fine. Now I have the distinct advantage or disadvantage (depending on how you look at it) that my son has a g-tube so I just put in through the tube and it is done. I can't remember what I did before but I assume I just mixed it with the milk. I know some people mix it with the stage one or two foods and have had great success. It works quickly. You may need to play with the dose as the full dose of 17g's would be too much for a child. My son does great on about 10 but start small and then move up. Some kids are quick to respond and their stools can get watery and then that it is a problem. Good luck! Amanda

My son has been on Miralax since he was about 1 month corrected. He was constipated and not eating well and we started him at 1 tsp every other day. He's now 8.5 months corrected and taking 1.5 tsp every day. As long as he is a regular pooper, he eats well! My daughter just recently became constipated because her formula is higher calories and she's taking more solids. So I give her 1 tsp every other day and that seems to do the trick. You just start out with a low dose and gradually increase as needed. My babies don't struggle to poop anymore thanks to Miralax! Sounds like a commercial:)

We have been doing a tsp in his bottle once a day for a long time. The doc said 2 tsp but that ended up giving him diarrhea. We tried taking him off when we switched to whole milk but that didn't work, he got constipated again and was in pain to poop. The GI doc told us that side effects are minimal and he can be on it for an extended period of time.

Love Love Love Miralax. My 26 weeker has been on it for almost a year. We don't use it daily, but when ever he needs it, I put 1.5 tsp in his bottle and it works like magic. It is soooo gentle to his system.

Miralax is great. Much better than the Milk of Magnesia we were on before. My daughters poops are nice and soft no tummy aches when it comes time to poop.

My 19 month old daughter has been on it since she was 6 mos old. It has been wonderful for us. We have not had any problems with it. I hope you find it works well for your son.

I agree with everyone! Miralax is a God-sent drug! My daughter was born with CMV so her GI system is alllll sorts of out of wack. She's been on miralax since she was 10 months old and is now 5 1/2. Now, we only have to give her it a few times a week to make sure things are moving... but for your sad constipated baby, it's amazing.

Hannah's been taking miralax for 9 months now, upon her pedi's advice. Her constipation is mostly gone, and there are no issues whatsoever. We don't measure it by tsp (we fill the cap to a certain amount) and adjust sometimes if she's got overly-soft stools vs. difficult stools. She's pooping a LOT (3x a day on average) but man after seeing her suffer constipation, I'm HAPPY to do poopy diaper changes. We mix it in with her superfoods juice that also contains her vitamins and her fish oil supplement. She LOVES her morning juice!

LOVE the stuff. Riley had major issues with constipaton even though she was soley on breast milk.

Miralax is WONDERFUL.

Both of my former preemies take it. Less now than when we first transitioned to table food.

No problems with it; it's very gentle. We gave half a capful every few days or everyday as needed. We put it into milk (they only drink milk and water--don't think it would go over in the water).

Jenny
(mom to former 26 weekers)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders