MCT OIL

I WAS WONDERING IF ANY ONE HAS USED MCT OIL. MY GI DOC. WROTE A RX FOR MY DAUGHTER TO USE IT FOR WEIGHT GAIN. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF IT REALLY DOES WORK. SHE STARTS ON IT TODAY.

9 replies. Join the discussion

My son was on MCT oil in the NICU. It is very commonly used in preemies for weight gain.

I know a couple preemies who use it. How much do you give per day/feed?

well i have not gave it to her yet im waiting for the doc to call and let me know how much to give her. the medical supply just sent it to me

My son was on it in the NICU and I continue it at home..the only difference is I use Canola oil because MCT oil is expensive. Canola oil is what his nurses told me to use. I think it works he's been gaining like a weed since he's been home

How much canola oil do you give him per day/feed? Our son used to be on corn oil and he needs some extra calories.

We used it at home and it worked for us. I gave 1 tsp in each bottle with his formula. It does not taste or smell bad, thankfully! I hope it helps your little one to gain weight! Good luck!

BTW: 1 tsp = 50 calories

MCT oil works great. My son was on it in the hospital and we use canola oil at home. It helps not only with weight gain, but also it is helpful in brain development.
It's so beneficial that many athletes supplement with it!

What about olive oil?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders