Hello everyone. I'm a labor and delivery nurse of 8 years, a doula and a mother of two children, both born at home. This is my third pregnancy and this baby was diagnosed with IUGR at 24 weeks (at the time measuring 18-19 weeks). My husband I were told at that time that we should expect a fetal demise at any time and that it the baby would never grow to a size that would enable the neonatologist to place an ET tube. We waited at home for nature to take it's course.
Two weeks ago we went in for a growth scan (I was still feeling movement and we still had fetal heart tones) and we were told that the baby (a girl) had grown. She was now close to 400 grams but still too small to help.
If, at next week's scan, she has grown closer to 500 grams she has a chance at surviving. I'm now 31 weeks and likely facing a classical c-section and the baby will likely spend 3-4 months in the NICU should she survive.
After having had two homebirths including one waterbirth I'm not looking forward to a c-birth but, like any of us, I'll do whatever I can to increase the chance of this baby's survival.
I'm hoping to learn from the experiences of others here, especially those who are mothers of older children, attachment parents, breastfeeding moms, and other like minded folks.