iugr baby

I am 32 weeks pregnant with a little IUGR princess. She is currently weighing 2lbs 12 oz & we won't check her weight again until next Thursday. How much did your IUGR baby weigh, what week did you deliver, how long was their NICU stay, & how are they doing now?

15 replies. Join the discussion

every case is different my logan was 35 weeks 1pound 6oz and stayed in nicu for 7 months, while the majoriy stayed 2-4 months it all depends on how sick your baby is. Logan had metabolic acidosis and trachealmalsia requiring him to stay on the vent for several months and come home on 02. Like i said most others left long before us so you will just have to wait and see what issues your baby will have. Good Luck

My princess was born at 31weeks 3 days, she weighed 2lbs 5ozs, we were in nicu for 60 days and she is perfect! A little tiny 17.5 lbs now at 14 months corrected...good luck and stay positive!

32 weeks, 2 lbs 13 ozs, 3 month NICU stay. Kylie came home on O2 and an NG tube but was weaned off of both after being home for a couple of months. We have an upcoming ECHO scheduled because her cardiologist thinks her ASD has closed on it's own. "Indirect evidence of PVL" was discovered on an MRI last year. She does have somedevelopmental delays but is overall healthy and happy. At 30 months she is not walking or talking yet, though I have faith that she will. She gets OT, PT and ST twice a week each and goes to swim lessons and music class. So, she is doing great!

Our nicu stay isn't complete yet, we are on day 32 today, but I wanted to wish you luck! My little girl was born at 27/4 and weighed 1lb 7oz and was 12.5 inches long. As of 3 days ago she hit 2lbs 5oz and has been off all oxygen from a few hours old and off of all breathing assistance as of about a week ago! From what I've read and seen about preemies, it's great that your LO is already past the 2lbs 2oz and IUGR babies really do seem to do better! Good Luck!!

Glad you're hanging in there and your baby is doing well. My son was delivered at 36 weeks weighing 4lb. He was still doing OK at that point in the sense that he was moving around, not in distress at all, but he had practically stopped growing by then and the doctor had always said that if there were no earlier indications for delivery, they would deliver no later than 36 weeks. It's at that point that all the organ development is done and the baby works on laying down fat - an IUGR baby can't do that - and the risks increase as the placenta is no longer able to service the baby - so the safest thing to do if you get that far is to deliver.

My son was born by elective c-section. He was breech as well as IUGR, so they didn't want to risk induction and normal delivery. He went into the Special Care Baby Unit because he didn't need help breathing. He had a nasogastric tube for feeding and for the first 24 hours he was on a saline and dextrose drip. He was on a hotcot to help him maintain his temperature. He had/has low muscle tone, which meant that he had trouble establishing feeding. He couldn't latch on to breastfeed, but when I switched to bottle feeding, he was able to do that. However, he had a weak suck, so it took him a while to take all his feeds orally. We were in the Unit for 3 weeks - 2 of which were to establish feeding. When we came home, he still had the ng tube - that came out when he was about 5 weeks old.

He remained under the 0.4th centile for weight for about 6 months, but he's a big, heavy 2 year old now! He still has low muscle tone - it means it takes him longer to reach motor milestones. He crawled at 12 months adjusted and walked at 18 months adjusted, but he has managed everything so far. He's funny and bright as a button! We don't know if the low muscle tone is the result of the IUGR or whether the IUGR was caused by something else and whether that something else is the reason for the low muscle tone too. He's had all the tests for disorders relating to low muscle tone and everything has come back normal.

32 weeks is already a good point to have reached. I hope you can get even further.

My daughter was born at 29.5 weeks, weighing 1 lb 14 oz. She was delivered the same day that reverse diastolic flow was seen (I had been in the hospital for 2 weeks at that point, with daily scans.). She spent 65 days in the NICU, where her main issues were RDS, ROP (no surgery needed), learning the suck-swallow-breathe routine, and gaining weight. She cam home one week before her due date, weighing 4 lbs 9 oz. She was tiny for the first 2 years (14.5 lbs at her 1st birthday and 21.5 on her second). She started catching up size-wise between ages 2 and 3. DD hit the bottom of the "normal" growth charts at 3, and by 4 was 75% for height and 50% for weight.

DD just started 5th grade today. She makes awesome grades in reading/language arts. Math gives her more difficulties, but we found out that is more due to her Generalized Anxiety Disorder, not a learning disability. DD is no athlete, with at best average gross motor skills. She tends to be shy (part of the anxiety issue), which can be problematic for her at times. Overall, though, while I have to say that DD does have preemie related "scars", they are not so great that they are likely to limit her choices for her life.

Since we are farther down the IUGR path, just let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.

Well my daughter was born at 26 weeks, weighed 15 ounces (micro preemie). We spent 155 days in the NICU. She had a rough stay in the NICU but long story lol. Right now her only and big issue is that she has spastic cerebral palsy and is severely delayed and has a G- tube. I am happy to hear that your baby is doing good.

We delivered our twins at 28 weeks. DS had stopped growing at about 22 weeks, but we wanted to wait to give DD a better chance once they were born. He weighed 1 pound 7 ounces. (DD was actually large for gestational age and weighed a whopping 3 pounds 6 ounces.)

We had a long NICU road (4 months) and DS was on the ventilator for about 8 weeks, then on oxygen until just days before he came home. (You can read all about it in my blog, if you think it would help: preemiejourney.blogspot.com) They just turned 14 months today (actual, 11 months adjusted). DS has some gross motor skill delays (he didn't start sitting until 12 months and still can't get from tummy to sit on his own) and gets PT and OT once a week, which helps tremendously. He also has some residual lung issues from being on the vent so long, but he is expected to outgrow those.

Our son has always struggled to put on weight. He is on high calorie formula for half his bottles (mostly does solids now) and we've just started sneaking extra calories into his food whenever possible because his pulmonologist wants him on the growth chart for his actual age by 18 months (2 pounds to go).

Hang in there. It can be a long ride, but many IUGR babies sail through with minimal problems. They're tough little fighters, these little ones.

our IUGR girl is a miracle to say the least compared to what most IUGR parents go through as far as NICU stays and whatnot if they were born before 32 weeks. Our baby girl was born at 37 weeks, weighing in at 3pounds 13 ounces. She spent 6 days in NICU, never had to be on a machine(they just made sure she could eat,hold her temp, passed a car seat test, and was gaining weight before they let her go).

Since birth she still lags in the weight department but all of her other growth markers have at least made it up to the 5th percentile. Weight still stays steady at 3% at best. I agree with the others here that IUGR babies are tough little boogers she has been a firecracker since day one!

I am going through this right now...I found out on Tuesday that there is a placenta band/lake that is restricting circulation to the baby and has caused her to be diagnosed with severe symmetrical IUGR-all within a 4 week period (4 weeks ago she was on track and doing well)...I went in to a maternal fetal perienatologist yesterday and she is only measuring exactly 3lbs, 0oz (1359 g) and estimated to be 29 weeks 1 day (I am 33 weeks today) and found that the placenta lake is calcifying and that part is no longer sending anything through to her. He let me go home because her fluid levels are good (so she is breathing well) but wants me back on Tuesday and will deliver before the end of the week!
Good luck to you, and I will keep you updated on me!

I delivered Alli at 27+3 weeks severe iugr and she weighed 14.8 ounces (420 grams). We were in the NICU 199 days, just shy of 7 months. She has a g-tube and is on O2, but is doing amazing!!! We've been home 4 weeks and she has reached SO many milestones in that little amount of time. Her biggest issue has just been her crappy lungs since I had no amniotic fluid from 22 weeks on. Good luck!!!!

thanks so much for all of the replies & encouragement!! We went back Monday to have our DD measured! She is now weighing 3 lbs 14 oz, which the doc said is a miracle!! She also did not lose any ground in the last 3 weeks as far as percentages which he said is VERY rare. We are hoping & praying that she continues to gain weight & stay on track. The only other problem we have is that I am now 80% effaced at 34 weeks. The doc seems to think she will come in next 2 weeks. We are just so thankful that she didn't come at 25 weeks, & she has stayed in this long!

That's great! Glad to hear that you and your daughter have done and are doing so well. Best wishes for your daughter's arrival.

That's great that such progress has been made. Or was it a misdiagnosis the last time?

FWIW, I was a 33-weeker born 3 lbs 14 ozs. Spent 17 days in the NICU back in the day.

Wishing your baby a happy, healthy birth.

One of my twins was IUGR. Born at 30 weeks weighing 1 pound 11 ounces. Both of my girls stayed 64 days in the NICU and came home on monitors for 2 months. Good luck to you and your little one!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders