iugr baby, need help with gaining weight feel so alone

I dont dont know if I qualify to be in this group, but during my pregnancy my daughter had severe iugr, i had diabetes, high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, and i had vellamentous insertion and with vasa previa, and single umbilical artery and was small for her gestational age, she is now 3months 3weeks and weighs 10pds. she is on NeoSure 3oz every 2hrs, its feels like its taking forever, they diagnosed her wiht failure to thrive but they are wrong, i am feeding her write, not only that she will only drink the ready to feed formula and she has ge reflux so i am giving her tryvisol, zantac but still regurgitating. she is meeting all her milestones aside from 2 hospitilizations she is a healthy baby. They did find atrial septal defect and they think her anterior fontanel is closing but xray confirmed no..i am in desperation dont want doc to think i dont feed my daughter i am a single mom, thank god for my mom taking her to appts, but i still feel so overwhelmed even as a christian woman, and i know its wrong but i think i have post partum, and she just learned how to lach on. sorry i am long winded, but i was just ready to explode.

god bless everybody

janet

20 replies. Join the discussion

Many mothers on this site have dealt with IUGR babies and FTT. I hope they will be able to give you some insight. Welcome!

Are you talking to a therapist or anyone about your post pardum. Feeling overwhelmed is very normal for a new moms, but sometimes it really helps to talk to a therapist who can help you and possibly prescribe medication if needed. There is nothing wrong or un-Christian about feeling overwhelmed - it is overwhelming! Just remember that there are tons of us mommies out there to support you, sometimes that's what we need, just an ear and a hug. Hugs!

thank you so much, i appreciate it, looking into a therapist started last week, lets see whats happens.

God Bless you and your family

Can you please tell us why she was diagnosed with FTT?

Is she not gaining weight? How much has she gained each month since being born? Have they tried increasing the calories in her feeds? Does she vomit allot?

Please tell us more.

We are here for you- an welcome

She weighed in at 5pounds 11oz, since birth 5pds she was born 6/30/09. She was in hospital twice, once for unknown fever and the other for rsv, so she regressed when sick, I am now trying to push 4oz. She is on neosure, she isn't gaining quick enough, she gains like one to 4oz a week, if that? I think they are used to seeing big babies, since she has grd, she does spit up alot, aside from that she is a very happy baby, and she has the rosiest cheeks, but she is very small, everyone asks me if she is premie and she was 39 weeks? It's from the iugr

I am not a doctor, but every baby has there own nayural growth curve, She was small at birth and born IUGR which can sometimes cause issues with weight gain. 4-6 oz of week is what I have learned to be accpetable weight gain, or 15grams to 30 grams
a day. Also if she is happy and meeting her milestones, then that is another good sign. It could be that she is a slow gainer and also acid reflux certainly does not help as well as her illnessess. Have they run any tests on her for malapsorption issues, or food allergy and have they talked to you about adding more calores to her feeds? Just a thought

Perhaps you should seek another doctors opinion.
I guess I am confused over the diagnosis with the info you provided. Seems like a rush to judgement and not real answers or ways to help your daughter. I would not accept that from my daughters doctor. Unless I am missing some info.

your not a bad MOM, so dont think you are. Its not easy to get a diagnosis such as FTT and its not always the parents fault and I am sure you are doing all you can.

Best wishes-

Oh hun i understand completely. My daughter wasn't iugr but she has ftt and i am a single mom. Just keep trying and don't force her to eat anymore than she wants cause that could cause more problems than it is worth. Hang in there it will get better.

I agree with what 24WeekMiracle posted... 15-30g a day (or 4-6oz a wk) is also what we were told. I am also surprised that they have diagnosed your daughter FTT at only 3 months of age. She has doubled her weight in 3 months, which is great! Does she just gain weight slowly or has she actually dropped off her growth curve. Gaining weight slowly is not a reason to diagnose FTT. My son was born 31 wks w/ severe IUGR (weighing only 1lb, 10oz). He gained weight slowly but did not get the FTT diagnosis until 10 months when he did not gain any weight for 3 months and dropped off his curve. That was due to an unknown cows milk allergy and severe reflux.

I would also get a second opinion. Like 24WeekMiracle suggested, you could add more calories to her formula, although many babies have a hard time w/ this. From what you've told us, it sounds to me like she is coming along just fine!

Hi all! I'm also new here. I would def get a second opinion. I have a baby girl, born 6-2-09, that had severe IUGR. 4 pounds 8 oz at birth, born at 37 weeks. She just now hit 10 pounds at 4 months. She gained great in the first couple months and then slacked off. From 3-4 months of age she only gained maybe 1/2 of a pound. And the fact that your baby is eating 3 oz every 2 hours is amazing. At 3 months Charlee was only eating 2-3 oz every 3 hours. She was only sometimes getting 15 oz in an entire day! But at her last appointment last week the dr was very pleased with her overall weight gain. And you can also tell if a baby is healthy or not! And it sounds like yours is. When you think about it, they weighed way less than the average at birth, so why would we expect them to gain weight like the average baby? Also, Charlee upped her intake substantially at 4 months. She now eats 4 oz every 3 hours and eats about 18-20 oz a day. Your baby may do the same thing! I think they will just naturally have months of gaining significant weight and months of gaining not so much. Please keep us updated. You're doing a wonderful job as a mother!! Don't convince yourself otherwise. Oh! And another thing her dr told me... If we put her on the preemie charts, which for all intents and purposes we should, with her being 3 weeks early and having severe IUGR, she's in the 25th %ile! So your baby would be even higher than that! So she's 3rd on the full term scale, but 25th on the one month preemie scale. I know your baby wasn't early, but since there's no charts for IUGR babies, as her dr said, "We have to fudge it a bit.". :)

My son is IUGR born at 33 weeks at 4 1/2 months is 11lbs, he is really small I am asked all the time if he is a preemie. He is hitting all of his milestones and is gaining weight, my doctor told me he will catch up in his own time. I stress about his weight all the time. My daughter was was born at 34 weeks was 10lbs 8 oz at the same age. I think she eats a good amount, I breast feed my son we aren't sure what he is getting.

I missed type my daughter was 13lbs 10oz at 4 1/2 months. sorry:)

My daughter had IUGR and was born at 33 weeks, 6-30-09 as well.
As of today is 8 lbs 11 oz and her doctors are very happy with her weight gain! As long as they gain, they are allowed to follow their own curve. My daughter even lost weight week (bad feeding schedule given to us be a previous pediatrician) and they just made us come in the next week to make sure she had gain(which was today!)
On the preemie growth chart, she is at the 3rd %tile and my doctor said, "well that means that 3 % of babies are just like yours!!"
Very positive from what I'm getting.
I dont feel they have a right to slap FTT on her if she is gaining at all.
Some just gain slow.
I see it as, I can invest more in her wardrobe because she doesn't outgrow it as fast.
They will catch up on their own time.
My daughter is on 24 cal, however!

She was born at 4lbs 10.6 ounces, but most was swelling, they predict she really would of weighed 4 lbs 2 ounces.
HTH

24cal? Progestimil? My daughter has 22 calorie neosure

Keep in mind that IUGR babies tend to grow and gain weight slower than typical preemies. The IUGR causes the cells within the endocrine system to change, which in turn causes our little ones to release less growth hormone (there is a lot of new research on the internet if you google IUGR and endocrine system). IUGR children tend to take longer to catch up to their peers and will follow their own growth curve. It is misleading when they say that children will catch up by age 2!

My guy was IUGR, 5 lbs 6 oz. He was 10 lbs or so at 3 months as well. He was never a big eater and had reflux, vomiting and feeding issues too. You may want to find a doc that is knowledgeable about IUGR babies. It is probably more of an IUGR issue than FTT. Also, the Neosure it very hard on their little tummys and digestive system. My son had horrible reflux and vomited 1-3x a day on the Neosure. We had to switch formulas and increase the calories by adding MCT oil to his bottle.

I understand how frustrating it is when the docs make us feel like we are not feeding our baby properly. I switched pediatricians for the same reason. I wanted a doc that understood IUGR, feeding issues, etc.

It sounds like she is developing well and a happy baby! That is great! Feel free to contact me if you need anything!

My daughter will be four mos tomorrow and weighs nine lbs even. The doctors seem happy as it is continuous weight gain and she has tripled her birthweight. Noone has mentioned ftt as she is meeting all of her milestones as well. I breastfeed and give vitamins. Taking it one weight check at a time!

Omg, thanks you guys so much for all your advice, I feel so blessed coming across this site, I am getting so much feedback especially about the iugr with endo, had a feeling of it. Wanted to change docs for a long time but felt guilty, something just didn't feel right.

Hi - Iam due to deliver a baby with severe IUGR next week. This site has been invaluable to us but I also wanted to share a link to another site I found specifically for IUGR mums:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/IUGR/
hope that helps :-) x

Glad to hear you are feeling better! ALWAYS trust your mommy instincts! Do not feel guilty about changing docs. You have to do what is right for you and your baby.

I think of the doctor-patient relationship as a team. We have to be able to work together, communicate well and have a comfortable, trusting relationship. Most importantly, they must be knowledgeable about my sons issues.

Hope that helps and keep us posted!

Hi, My son was also an IUGR baby.. born at 35 weeks at 3.10 lbs.. he's now almost 3 months and weighs only 8lbs.. he has lot's of trouble with feeding.. and he';s on neosure 24cal.. he vomits like crazy and we tried everything from prevacid for GERD to changing the formula to hypoalergenic one.. nothing works.. he only gains about 50 grams per week.. i am so stressed.. i just don't know what to do anymore.. my son;s fontanelles were also open big time from eye to eye and are closing slowly.. we are now doing multiple gastrointestinal testings and genetics testings..

My daughter had a asd that measures 5.7centimeters and it turns out she has an allergy to cows milk protein, you should ask doctors to refer you to a cardiologist, pulmonolgist and a immunologist, because chances are your lo could be allergic

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders