i finally got to hold him!!!!

Yesterday I finally got to hold my one month old son :-) my 27 5 days baby is so little and cute, me and my sons father got a chance to take some family pictures together it was very nice and special I will never forget that :-) I must say we do make a nice looking family even though my boyfriend was afraid to change his diaper it brought us even closer as a couple I fell in love all over again with both my guys ( I just love them) things are looking up and I hope and pray it will stay that way he's doing great on cpap and I'm hoping our remaining stay will be a boring uneventful stay @ the nicu!

16 replies. Join the discussion

That is awsome!!!! Keep asking to hold him it is so good for u emotionally and for your lo physically, mentally, and devolpement!!! Hugz so happy for u!!!

Thank u so much! I'm praying for you a ur LO ur such a great inspiration I would have never known it was ok to ask! His nurse was really nice she offered I was so happy! I come on here everyday even though I don't comment I read all ur posts and everyones to it gives me courage when I wanna break down.

Greatest feeling in the world huh :) ask about kangaroo care! That's good for you and really will help your baby. The NICU is definitely a rollercoaster with many ups and downs but I pray that things stay great and he's home soon for you!

@proudmom, I did ask about kangroo care she told me wo wear like a button down shirt so she's his nurse for the morning 2 evening n if he's ok we can pratice the kangroo but he felt so good I did not want 2 give him back he really like being held he fell rite to sleep, but b4 that when she put him in my arms he opened his eyes immediately looking @ me and his dad!

Awwwwww! Fabulous!!!! Congrats!

Kangaroo Care is a fabulous thing - for you, for Dad, too (warning, chest hair does get pulled!).

Sending you healthy, healthy, and happy, happy vibes, Mama!!!

Awww, that's wonderful!!

AWSOME!!!!! Hold him as much as they will let u, as it helped with out lil daughter Jessica when we started to hold her, things just took a turn for the better and she needed us to be with her and to know we were there! I am so glad for u!!!!!!!!!

Thats great news

it is unreal the feeling you get when you get to hold them for the first time. I took it for granted with my other 2, they were delivered and I held them right away. With Zak we only had to wait 2 days, but it was the longest 2 days. My husband didn't do the kangaroo hold, but I did it everytime I got to hold Zak. I loved the feeling of having him against me, even with all the wires and tubes. Do you have a time limit on how long you can hold you LO? at first we could only hold Zak for 10 mins. twice a day, that is all he could handle. Hold him as much as they let you and as much as he can tolerate.

@ zaksmom no it wasn't a time limit the first time I got to hold him it was atleast an half and hour it was long cuz me and my sons father arms where hurting but it was a good kind of hurt :-) the second time was like 20 minutes it depends on the nurses my son fell alseep in his daddy arms we took lots of pictures I he smelled so good that sweett baby breath from the bm :-)

good for you, isnt it the greatest awh moment!!!!

How exciting! So glad for you! My son was 27 weeks and after about 2 weeks we got to hold him and it felt GREAT. So glad you got to hold and hug him..he needed his mom. By the way my son is now in 2nd grade.....he is doing good. Has some minor learning issues--hard time in math/reading but with tutors he is keeping up. I'm so proud of him, he just go 100% on 5 spelling tests in a row. I'm amazed from all he went through and now he is in 2nd grade, boyscouts and plays basketball. Just keep loving, hugging, and kissing your child and he will be the happiest kid ever!

Wow I'm hoping my son will have a great outcome like your son, that's great I will be hugging and kissing him as much as I can thanx :-)

I have a book about Kangaroo Care and it describes the original genesis behind the whole activity - the Central American preemie moms who wore their babes skin to skin instead of being in an incubator. Well, when I read of this, the whole "you can only hold him for an hour thing" started to seem ridiculous. Modern medicine was placing weird restrictions on the very activity that can improve a preemie's life markedly and there did not seems to be a medical reason for it. So when the nurses started to take my son back from me at 1 hour, I started to gently resist -- I asked why. And eventually, they let me hold my sleeping son skin to skin for the entire 2.5 hour time from Care Time to Care Time, even while being gavaged. Occasionally a nervous nurse would check his temperature but he was always nice and happy atop his Mommy. And I think that's why he had so few problems in the NICU. But that's me. If your NICU pushes you to limit the Kangaroo holding, see why they are doing it. If it is just policy, see if perhaps someone is willing to allow you to go beyond the limit, to see if things are fine. My son did great with Kangaroo Time ... I am confident your son will too!

@ leapingly thanks for the advice I was ask them why I can't hold him longer I'm a firm believer that babies especially preemies respond to touch it comforts them even inside the womb babies are sometime sacred of loud noises (car alarms) etc and its comforts them by rubbing your tummy to soothe them.

Congratulations!! Kangaroo care is wonderful! You describe it sooooo beautifully. I could feel your bliss.

Do keep asking to do it. For us it was about the only thing that seemed to help our daughter improve at all for a long while, and I had to wait 5 weeks to do it. We had a neonatologist that I discussed the research with and he called a meeting with her team and instructed everyone that I should be doing Kangaroo care whenever I could and for as long as I could. He also wrote it in her clinical notes, so if there was a new nurse, I could just refer to that. It did prompt them to try to keep a very comfy recliner on hand so I could really settle in and relax. They even let me have snacks while I held her. The only reason I got up was to pump or use the bathroom, or go for some extended sleep. I did nap in the chair with her. My arms were propped up safely, and there were nurses watching. It was absolute HEAVEN!

Here's to a boring NICU stay from here on out!!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders