how to stop pumping?

I know lot of you thinking the same thing.But how to stop -do u take pills ,do u go cold turkey or is there a better way? help!!!

11 replies. Join the discussion

I pumped every 3 hours, then I slowly started to pump every 5 to 6 hours. Then after a few days when I had little to no milk I just stopped altogether. NO PAIN AT ALL!

I did cold turkey - ice packs in my bra for 2 days. then it was done.

i quit cold turkey and i was sore for a month. The first couple of days were the worse tho.

Just so you know, I was only sore for a day or two.

I've done it both ways and when I stopped cold turkey I got mastitis. The other two times I would start to stretch the time between pump sessions and each day I would get farther apart until I only pumped1-2x a day, once I was there I felt I could stop pumping and not have problems. With the first child I had no problems but with my 4th child I had soreness/fullness for a few days. I did the cold packs and avoided heat whenever possible. GL!!!

thank you I pump now 1-2 a day its getting better I thing my milk supply is getting low, I thing 8 months is enough .THanks again

Even though i lost my supply about 10 months later my milk came back and still is to this day ..........

Most breastfeeding resources will recommend eliminating one "feeding" or pumping session per day. I did it gradually over a two week period stretching the time between sessions. I had very little engorgment and no discomfort this way. Going cold turkey, while effective, is not recommended due to the increased risk of infection and clogged ducts.

It can take a long time for your body to stop producing milk due to the hormonal adjustments after you stop breastfeeding. The period of breastfeeding is considered the 4th trimester, and when you discontinue nursing your body will begin the process of returning to "normal" hormonal balance. I have experienced many changes during this time as my body normalizes. After my daughter, I continued to produce milk for several months. After my son, my supply diminished completely in a week.

Good luck!

I was a long-term pumper. By my 20-22 months, I was only producing about 3 ozs per day. I only pumped about four times a day. Then 3. Then I just stopped. No problems.

I pumped sooo much and for sooo long I ended up donating over 3000 ounces to one of the breast milk banks! My boobs were enormous (unfortunately my son ate very little and ended up with a g-tube). I really struggled with pain and I ended up doing the cabbage in the bra. My husband thought it was hysterically funny but it worked. Much less pain and I slowly stopped pumping so much and it got better after about 10 days. I went from a 32B (pre-preg) to a 34FF (during pumping) and then down to a 34A. It was tough! Good luck!

My son is now 18 weeks old (2 weeks adjusted) and still in the NICU. I am batteling to keep going or not. I am still taking the mini pill (bc pill) and they said that when I decide to stop go back to the regular bc pill. They also said that there is no pill or shot to dry it up. There use to be a shot that they gave but there were so many side effects that they stopped giving it. Just stop and be prepared to feel some pain for the next 48-72 hours. Take tylenol or motrin for the pain. I couldn't take the pain so I had to get it our which now my body thinks I am pumping. When he comes home and he doesn't do well I will stop completly. I hope this helps.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders