How to make formula taste better

My daughter was 2 lbs 3 oz and is supposed to be on breastmilk fortified with 27 calorie formula. She hasn't tolerated any formulas very well except for Neocate. The only thing is she hates the taste so she doesn't drink very much. She will take just plain old breastmilk great, but the doctors said she needs those extra calories with the formula added. Is there anything you can add to it to make it taste better? She is 4 months, 2 1/2 months adjusted and weighs 9 lbs. Thanks!

Also does anyone know how to make Neocate 27 calorie added with breastmilk and just Neocate straight? I have gotten 2 different recipes from doctors, but they said Neocate is different from most formulas, so they weren't sure...not very reassuring!!

5 replies. Join the discussion

I don't have any good ideas for making the formula taste any better. We had the same problem when we had to start using Nutramigen the first time around. :(

But as for mixing the Neocate to 27 cal, I would recommend calling the manufacturer. They should be able to give you the correct mixing instructions. I googled the info for you:

Nutricia North America can be reached by phone Monday through Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm EST.

Nutricia North America - United States
P.O. Box 117
Gaithersburg, MD 20884
Phone: 301-795-2300 or 1-800-365-7354
Fax: 301-795-2301

Hope this helps, at least a little!

I read that even though it tastes awful to us, babies will eventually acquire a taste for formula. I had similar issues at first with my girls. We've been on breastmilk and/or Neosure for the past 7 1/2 months--it's gotten to the point where I've even acquired the taste for formula. Whenever I'm mixing it, I think of the babies. Too funny. I would probably begin by not fortifying every ounce of BM, but fortifying half of it. Then, continue to add it from there. This will be easier on his digestive system as well.

I used coconut oil in V's breastmilk instead of formula. I preferred she not be on formula, and this is a great way to increase calories without the problems that come from fortifying. It also tastes great!

Try to fed her by ready to feed formula. I had same problem with Alimentum. So i tried ready to feed and she takes it.

My son has been on breastmilk fortified with Neocate to 26 calories since we came home. The recipe for that is 1 teaspoon Neocate per 50ml of breastmilk. That came straight from the dietician in the NICU, i would think you could get the 27 calorie pretty close with this guideline if you cant find the recipe.
They get used to the taste and unfortunately theres nothing you can do to make it taste better.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders