How to keep the oxygen cannula on my son

My 27 weeker is finally home. His adjusted age is 49 weeks. He is on oxygen all the time at 1/8 of a liter because he has chronic lung disease. I am having a hard time keeping his nasal cannula on him. I have tried to adjust it time after time but somehow it doesn't stay in place. One problem is that he pulls it out a lot. I'm worried that he is going to pull it out at night or it is going to fall out at night when I am sleeping and he won't be getting any oxygen. Anyone else have this problem? How do you keep the oxygen cannula on your baby?

13 replies. Join the discussion

I would ask your doctor to write a script for Tegaderm, then have the home medical company that supplies the oxygen bring them to you. You should be able to cut it in half and use it to secure the cannula to his cheeks. That's what we always used for my son.

We always put a nose strip on, and also used duoderm and tegaderm and attached to his cheeks, there was no way he could get it off, we only did the nose strip at night. As he got older and less dependent we used the ones supplied from the o2 company that you can open and re-close.

Tegaderm can be found it at Walgreen's. The Duoderm I had to get a scrip for.

How are his stats? I always noticed Bella would pull hers out more when it was time to come down on the setting. We used the things for the check but she still managed to get it off. Because insurance would only pay for like 5 of those little things I had to us band-aids a lot. I found they irritated her face less.

We had to use pink tape from the hospital, it was horrible. It made the skin raw.

Here's something to think about. One eight liter isn't a lot of O2. It's for comfort and to keep the lungs from working too hard. It's not life threatening.

So you can take that little bit of extra stress off yourself. If the canula falls or is pulled off, replace it, but don't panic. I was told that some doctors don't even think 1/8 is enough to worry about, but it could make development better later in life.

Ben would wear his canula in his mouth or on top of his head like sunglasses, even with the tape. And it seems to be true about later development, he's extremely smart and very verbal.

Do you have a pulse oximeter to measure his stats? Brayden is swaddled at night so I don't really worry about it too much at night, but he does pull it out frequently during the day and sometimes it does come out at night. I always have him hooked up to the oximeter while sleeping. I also have a video monitor and I set it up so I can see the numbers on the oximeter. That way I can see what his stats are without going into his room. I know if it continually beeps, it is probably out of his nose. I sleep with the monitor right next to my head, so I definately hear it.

I used the the things that went on the cheeks. Not sure what they are called but they did work pretty good.

One of my twin daughters (29 weekers) came home on oxygen 1/16th of a litter. She pulled it out all the time, but I felt bad about putting any tape to her face. I just usually tightened it in the back and watched her constantly. Good luck.

My son (a 33 weeker) also came come on oxygen and struggled with the exact same issue you describe. I found that tegaderm worked the best and was gentler on his face than the other products. I would also suggest putting mitts on your little one or putting him in outfits that allow his hands to be covered.

Hang in there - having a baby on oxygen is extremely challenging!

What I found to work was to make it so that my baby felt as comfortable as possible with it on. At first, when she was newly home, I didn't use stickers at all, just kept it secure in the back. However, she soon started pulling. The doctor gave me the go-ahead to cut off the nasal prongs so that nothing was in her nose, just a big whole with the O2 streaming out. This eased her comfort. I would position it securely under her nose and use spot bandaids. By 6 months adjusted (the month it came off), she was yanking of off, bandaids and all. Good luck.

Have you tried Tender Grips? My son came home on 2 liters and stayed on oxygen for 3 years. It was really a challenge to keep the cannula on so we had to use Tender Grips. Send me a PM and I can show you some pictures, and if you'd like to use them I have extra (kiddo is no longer on O2) I can ship a few off for you tomorrow to try.

we used the tagaderm too. it worked really well for a few months, but did make the skin really red. the skin does heal though!! my daughter was on oxygen for over a year and in the end we didnt need to use anything at all, she was just used to it.

1. We used the ends of band aids to secure our son's tubes. We cut them to size to fit our needs.

2. Get an Angelcare monitor to give you some peace of mind at night.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders