how many oz should my 4 week old preemie eat

My son born 6/6/09 @ 36 weeks with iugr is taking 1.5-2oz every 3 hours...I have gotten LOTS of feedback from friends and family saying he needs 2 be eating 3-4oz every 2-3 hours....sometimes he struggles 2 get the 2 oz down...he is not a big eater, he is gaining we r at 5lbs 9 oz, born @ 4lbs 2oz..but its soooo frustrating hearing their comments like im not feeding my child! I try VERY hard @ each feed.... he has wet/dirty diaper! a/b 6-8 of each every day....ne advice? thanks!

16 replies. Join the discussion

Quantity is not as much the issue at this age as long as he is gaining well and the doctors are happy with his progress. Do as much as you can without forcing it, making him spit up, etc. You certainly don't want to create an adversion, eating should be a happy relaxing time for baby! Let your pediatrician help guide you as to how much, not friends or family (sorry, they try to help :)

Our pediatrician told us that 2-to-2.5 ounces per pound of body weight is a good way to gauge intake needed for the first 4-5 months of of life. That means about 11 to 15 ozs daily for a 5 1/2 pounder like yours. It seems he is getting more than enough if you're feeding him 2 oz every 3-4 hours :) Good job mommy! Don't listen to your friends/family - they have probably never had a preemie and preemies are MUCH different than full-termers for the first year or so - especially with eating!

Oh, and are you breastfeeding? Because if not, I really don't think it's necessary to feed every 2 hours... unless he's hungry every 2 hours of course! (and even if you ARE breastfeeding, every 3 should be plenty)

I have a friend who pops that bottle (or boob) in every time her son even lets out a whimper (sometimes every HOUR) and that baby is HUGE... 24 pounds at 6 months old!! And he's now 8 months old and can't roll over or sit up or anything because he's so rotund. Sounds like your baby knows when he's full, and you don't want to mess that up by 'forcing' it... as long as he's getting enough ounces of course!

I pump--so yes I breastfeed ..lol i guess! thanks so much for ur alls responses makes me feel better to have ppl who understand!

My daughter will be 4 weeks on monday she is a 34 weeker. She is about the same size maybe a little bigger than your son and takes between 50 and 75cc every three to four hours. She has a wet diaper at every feeding and 3 or 4 dirty a day.

Oh yeah I pump so my daughter is on breast milk also.

I have the same problem. My daughter is 12 weeks old (6 weeks adjusted) and my mother in law is constantly commenting on how much she eats. "She's not gaining weight because you are not feeding her enough... I could make her take more.....blah, blah...."She takes 1.5- 2.25 ounces a feed and she is 6.5 pounds. She is gaining weight consistently. The doctor says that he would like to see her eating a little more, but it is not something I should be alarmed about. He would just like to see her gain weight more rapidly. We just have to work on it, but it is important not to force it. It is hard sometime, because you start to second guess yourself. I say if your doctor is not worried and your little one is consistently gaining, relax, nurse, bond and enjoy your baby.

Some people just have a difficult time understanding that premature infants really are a totally different group of babies and we cannot expect them to behave exactly as FT babies do. Besides, there are some FT babies that are just not big eaters. I think some people focus on feeding premature babies more because it is something they feel they can control or it makes them feel better.

And here's a random question - why is it always the mother-in-law (ie: the dad's mother) that is so hard to deal with when having babies? It's that way in my family too. I think that it's because mothers sometimes have different (more overbearing?) relationships with their sons than with their daughters, and they don't trust any other women to take care of them "properly"! I have dated so many men who were mama's boys and luckily I finally found a guy who, while treating his mom right and with respect, is the farthest thing from a mama's boy! But she's still overbearing about stuff like feeding, but in a very passive aggressive way, which really gets on my nerves. I hope I don't do that to my son's future wife!!!

ha!!! Isn't it the truth!!!

That is soooo true! its my husbands mother! lol :) Very frustrating..the other day I was giving my son (Noah) a bath and she said, "Dont u think that waters too hot?" I was like "I think it's fine." Its just constant. Makes me sometimes feel like I am not a good mom, but things are differnet now, than they were when she had kids....she means well, is what I tell myself, but oh is it hard!

You could always buy a baby scale and weigh your son once a week. I do this for my own sanity! Just an idea

where do u buy those? I have sometimes lol put him on our bathroom scale!

My daughter was born 6/26 at 36 weeks. She was 5lbs 10ozs. She is eating 4 ozs every 2-4 hours. She is now at 6lbs 15ozs. You can get a scale at babiesrus or you can get one on ebay. Just google baby scale!! My mother in law is so bad that she yells at me when I bathe my 2 year old in the tub. She says it isn't safe. I never feed him or my daughter enough according to her. She thinks I should be feeding my son all day. Use your judgement and as long as your baby is putting on weight and your ped is happy with it than you are doing a great job! Don't let other people tell you that you aren't doing it right. Each baby is diff esp preemies. My son was born at 27 weeks is we are still catching up.

Oh sorry I have not been back much lately. I got mine at babiesrus!

It is hard to listen to others talk about the feeding levels your baby is doing - I learned early on I cannot pay attention to my friends - coworkwers because my babies were preemies - which is a whole different thing than full term babies. As long as your baby is tolerating his feeds and growing - you are on the right track. My lil one was 31 weeker and was doing the same amount 1.5 to 2 oz when he came home from NICU at 4 weeks - he is on Neosure and this has helped him with weight gain. All babies are different and unique, you are doing a wonderful job mom , keep it up.
Tanya

I was wondering the same thing. I had a baby girl on 7/27 -- about 5 weeks early. She came home on Monday 8/3. They said her minimum should be 45ml's at each feeding -- and in hospital that was a challenge. But, in two days home, she gained 6 oz! She came home 4 lbs. 10 oz (born 4 lbs. 13.5), but on Wednesday she was 5 lbs. Now she's been taking 70 ml's, and I'm afraid she's going to get chubby fast like my 5 y.o. (who gained 4 lbs. her first month, 3.5 her second, and 2.5 her third - born full-term at 37w2d - 6 lbs.) How much should we be feeding our 5 pounder? Doc says 1-2 ounces per pound of body weight at each feed but that doesn't seem to be enough for our little chicken. Is there a guideline somewhere?
Jane

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders