How long for vocal chords to heal

I'm sure this topic has been covered but it was a little difficult to find. I just wanted to know how long it has taken for any of your preemies vocal chords to heal after intubation removal. My son has been to the doctor and checked out. He is fine, meaning there is no paralysis of the chords. I am concerned because his cry is so soft, you can hardly hear him. He does scream out and he's loud but the crying is so soft. It's been 9 months since he's been home and he has no medical issues. He is developing fine but that is something that I wonder about.

2 replies. Join the discussion

Our son's ENT told us, when he heard Andrew's soft cry at 5 months adjusted, that it was likely not still just from needing time to heal from the vent, which he had been off of for 6.5 months at the time. He insinuated that once it's past 6 months, there's more to it than that. So he checked Andrew's vocal cords out in his office with a test, where he sent a little tube down his nose, and discovered he had vocal cord dysfuction with left and right side paresis. Even though the partial paralysis looked bad, especially on the one side, his cords have been good enough for him to swallow OK. And his voice, thankfully, is loud. But his cry is still soft...much softer than a normal baby's. It's good your son doesn't have any cord damage. I assume he had the same in-office kind of test Andrew did. The ENT did do a more thorough test on Andrew, a laryngoscopy/bronchoscopy, when he was under for his hernia surgery in May, to make sure he didn't have a hemangioma in his throat area that could interfere with things, since he has a couple on the face. But none were found. Some are surprised Andrew can talk as loudly as he can, with how soft he cries, but I guess that's to be preferred versus the other way around.

My wee one was vented for 6 weeks I think, and just this past July, when she had a brief hospitalization, we learned her vocal cords are "floppy" and not yet healed fully. She is turning 4 in January. I was stunned. I knew nothing before about any issues with her vocal cords, but then again, perhaps it was low on my radar as other issues took top priority for so long. Turns out, we learned her floppy cords can contribute to upper airway difficulties, so that explained why she tends to get ill, then have her upper airway swell and close up.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders