How can I get my baby to drink bottle?

Hi, my 8 month old baby (Kayla) has been fed thru' her g-tube since she was three months and now we're cleared to go ahead and start feeding her by mouth but she hates it. We are working with a thereapist but would be nice to hear tips from those of you who have been thru' this with your baby. She was not a preemie and took bottle till she was 3 months.

6 replies. Join the discussion

i cant wait to read your replies!!!!! my baby cant bottle either... good luck

With my little girl, they recommended using a preemie nipple, to have the lowest flow possible. Also, you can support her chin with your finger to make it easier on her to suck, since she may have a weak suck due to not being on a bottle for so long. If she just sits there with the nipple in her mouth, try rotating the nipple a few times, it usually gets them to suck again. Many people talk about taking there kids to an O.T. for sucking development. I hope that helps!

I think Preemie nipples wont work if baby grown up. All i can say is try try and try diff nipples may work.
Good Luck

My daughter is 23 months old and we never had any success getting her to take a bottle. Since your daughter is 8 months old have you thought about giving her a sippy cup with the spill proof valve removed so you can get small amounts of liquid into her mouth or little amounts of liquid from a spoon. Doing this won't require her to extract the liquid, but it will give her some experience since this is all new to her. You can also try purees. Our OT said even giving her the spoon and letting her feed her self is a good idea. Another thing you can do it dip her pacifier or toys she like to put into her mouth in a little bit of a puree.
Teaching a baby to eat is very hard, just try to always make feeding time stress free. I know it is easier said than done, but forced feeding and stressful meals can make thing worse in the long run. Good luck.

ive been told that some babies just wont bottle and this isnt the end of the world. although it's horrible and i detest the ng tube and just wish my baby would bottle like others. that being said ive been told that these same babies go onto a sippy cup at 6-9 months and they do very well. please lord make that be true for my baby!!

Thanks guys, it's taking a LOT of patience but i think we're making a little progress. She hates anything with a flavor because her taste buds have been dormant for so long. She drinks water just fine but NOT out of a bottle it's got to be a cup.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders