Hernia Surgery

Our son was born at 24 weeks and is now 19 weeks (3 weeks adjusted). He has a hernia that will be taken care of tomorrow and I am nervous. We have been through so much and this is the last hurdle. He is going under anesthia and is going to be intubated and his feeds will have to stop. To me it feels like a step backwards but I know he needs it. I am just praying that he will get extubated soon and they can start his feeds again. Once he recovers, we can take him home. Is there anyone else that has gone through this?

16 replies. Join the discussion

Hi,
My son had hernia surgery, but it was when he was about 18 months old (15mos. corrected). It was worse on us, his parents. It took him a little while to wake up, but we went home the same day and he was outside playing that afternoon. I know how you feel, just the thought of the anethesia was getting me, but he did fine and I'm glad its done.

Good luck

Thanks you for the encouragement!

My friend's preemie son had the hernia surgery in the hospital before coming home from the NICU. He healed very well and was home a fews days after the surgery. good luck! How exciting you're bringing him home soon - such a blessing!

my son had his hernia and circ done on 9/9/08, he was 4mths( 1mth corrected) he seemed fine after, he was extubated a few hours later and back on the canula. He was discharged 4wks later, mostly cause he had other test to be done, like his hearing and eyes test.
Good luck to you and your son..

My son went back to the hospital 1 week after discharge from the NICU for hernia surgery & circ. They added a second hernia surgery while we were there and the surgeon saw another one that needed repair. He was intubated for surgery but was extubated within a couple of hours and we spent the night in post op observation because he needed some O2 for a few more hours. But we went home the next morning and he was really back to his regular self by then.

Hope everything goes well for you little one and I'll keep him in my thoughts.

My 24wrk had a double ingroinal hernia repair and circ at one month adjusted...he recovered nicely and we went home the next day :)
He recently just had his third (totally unrelated) surgery at 2years old and it was STILL hard to have him go through that, but again he recovered quickly and is fine :)
Hang in there!

Hello!
My son Chris - 31 weeker now 3 months actual 3 weeeks adjusted had a hernia surgery this past Friday , May 22nd. His inguinal hernia was on his left side. It was vey scary for me but he came out like a champ! the surgery is very quick, 45 minutes at most - I went in right afterward and he was extubated already. The anestisiologist told me he would be intubated/extubated while on the anesthesia and would not feel a thing, she said he may have a sore throat and may cough for a little while but he did not do this and seemed fine. They used a anesthesia that was a injection below the spinal cord , she told me that this type of anesthesia will lessen the risk of apnea episodes and thankfully he did not have any episodes that night, I spent the nite with him in the hospital - the surgeon did tell me that he will be in pain for 2 to 3 days and to give him tylenol, thankfully this seems to help him. The cut is not very large - about the 1/3 of my pointer finger and it has this special tape on it that I was told to let fall on it's own. My son has cried a lot more this weekend than usual and I spent the weekend with him in my arms but he seems to be better today.
The difference in our situations is that my lil one is home already while you are waiting for yours. Not to worry this will not affect him too much, my son was on his bottle that same afternoon after the surgery at first it was just the pedialyte then he was able to get his formula- he slept a lot that first day but did wake up for his bottles and it did not affect his appetite. Recovery time should be quick.
Good luck to you - if you need anymore info email me - tanya29@cox.net
Tanya

My 24wkr had bilateral inguinal hernias that had to be repaired before discharge. I wasnt as nervous about him being put under ( bc he had previous surgery) as I was about him going back on the vent. He had been off less than a month before the surgery but he did wonderful. It took about 45 min and they were able to extubate him in the OR so by the time we saw him in the NICU he was back on a canula. It took him several hours to completely wake up and he had a few apnea spells but he healed very well and started taking full bottles afterwards. So he was in better shape afterwards. You cant even tell he had the surgery. He didnt go home until about a month later but not because of the surgery he had some other setback that werent related.

The name of the anesthesia used for my son for his hernia surgery is Marcaine Caudal Block. This anesthesia reduces th risk of apnea episodes.
I will keep your son in my prayers , I hope all goes well tomorrow and he is able to go home soon.
Tanya

Hi, my son also had a bilateral inguinal hernia surgery along with a circ at about 44wks (he was born at 27wks). I was too very scared about the anesthesia and stopping feeds. It was actually very easy, compared to what I was imagining. Please try not to worry, you've already been thru so much. My son also had a caudal block and didn't have a lot of apneas after surgery. He didn't much miss the milk when we stopped feeds and surprisingly healed so quickly and his pain was easily controlled with children's tylenol.
All will be fine, you'll see ;) Hang in there. we'll keep u in our T&P.

Similar story to those already posted: left inguinal hernia repair that turned out but a double repair, caudal block, one night in post-op, quick recovery. I was surprised at how raspy her cry was that night, but other than that, all was well. She was 4 months adjusted at that point. Hope all goes well!

Timothy: emergency left hernia repair at six weeks; emergency left hernia re-repair at about three months (occurance is less than 0.1%); at 26 months continued issues since 16 months with what I am positive is a third hernia on the left side (unheard of).

Nathaniel: routine left hernia repair at two months; routine right hernia repair at almost three months. Piece of cake!

So long as you don't have a child like Timothy who beats every statistic, you will be fine! It is a quick, simple surgery. I believe it is the most common one pediatric surgeons do. Just two hours after Nathaniel's second repair, with the blessings of the surgeon, we were driving cross country (moving).

I am sure it will be fine!

Max was born at 31 weeks, came home and developed the inguinal hernia after about 24 hours (of course!); he was 40 days. He was still negative 2 weeks when he went informed a semi-emergency repair. He had a little trouble with apnea while in recovery, and spent the night in the NICU instead of a private room. But he was FINE!! He has been under anesthesia three more times since (tubes x2 and tonsils/adenoids) and just doesn't do great with anesthesia...not typical.

Let us know how you and your LO do.

Hi,

My 24 weeker had bilateral, HUGE, inguinal hernia. It was repaired at the same time as a stent in his ureter(from other surgery) was removed. The whole procedure took about 1.5 hour. He was intubated for the surgery, extubated before we even saw him in the recovery room and had blow by oxygen for about 10 hours. The hardest thing was to have him in the hospital again. We had a very noisy room (only one other bed with three different kids in there during our 24 hour stay). In addition, the monitor kept beeping. Knowing my son and his patterns I know it was the monitor, not his breathing/heart rate etc.That was annoying but oh well. He recovered quickly and his digestion was immediately better!

Good luck!

One of my twin girls had double inguinal hernia surgery 2 weeks ago. She was born at 30 weeks weighing just one pound 12 ounces and is now almost 5 months, 3 months adjusted and 9 pounds. I too was very nervous. She did better than I expected the night before with no feedings and she had no complications with anesthesia. The night in the hospital went better than expected also but the next day at home was terrible. She seemed to be in so much pain and all we were allowed to give her was tylenol. The next day was better though and now she is fine. The incisions look good and she gained more weight than her sister in the week of her surgery even with limited feeds. Good luck!

My preemie son (now 3years) had bilateral ing. hernias and they did the surgery, he did great and additionally he had to have skull surgery a few months after that for a craino issue, I feel you on thinking it will be a step or two backwards, however after both surgeries he did fine, and quick recovery even from the head surgery, it looked worse then he felt.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders