Helmet tips?

My daughter has deformational plagiocephaly and we are getting fitted for a helmet. She has her next appointment on Friday and we will be going home with the CranioCap. I was hesitant to even get the helmet because I didn't want her to be one of those poor babies that people stare at. Somehow the decision to treat this was harder than the decision to close her PDA. I've been trying to embrace this by buying some cute stickers to put on. And since it's getting nicer out I thought I would buy a cute sun hat to help disguise the helmet. I'm having more of a problem with this than I should. I know she will only need to wear it for a few months but it is so hard for me since she is an otherwise healthy baby inside and out. Any tips on how I can make myself not worry so much about it? Any tips on care and maintenance? Ideas about how to deal with the awkward looks and questions? Anyone want to share their experiences with a baby helmet?

13 replies. Join the discussion

I cant remember the name of the helmut company we used but the helmut we came home with was white and kind of a hard plastic. My son was around 18mo and only wore it for a couple of months at the most, He diagnosed with congenital plagiocephaly(they think he was just kinda stuck in one place in utereo). My husband i think had more of a problem with it, but i did get stickers and that craft liquid adhesive the sell at Micheal's(hodge podge?) It was good because you just smear it on over the stickers and it helps them adhere but you can remove them easily with alcohol or something similar when you want to change the stickers. I did halloween, christmas, "under construction" stickers, all different themes. I understand your feelings, and i had some rather rude questions when my son wore his helmut, but i think the decorations disarm people and make them feel more comfortable (most people dont know what its for- they might think its some kind of bad disease, so they dont know how to act.) Most people were nice and complemented the decorations and then i used it as an opportunity to educate them about what it was for in real simple terms.(he was stuck under my rib and his little head was slanted or something) As far as maintenance, i think we had to clean the inside of it with rubbing alchohol and cotton balls once a day so it didnt get stinky, and try to buy clothing that you dont have to put over their head or the opening is large and stetchy enough that you can get it over their helmut- or otherwise youll have to take the darn thing off and on every single time you change her shirt- and ours puked alot because he had a hypersensitive gag reflex. Also keep in mind, that the helmut will retain a lot of heat for your baby, so be cautious of overheating if you have warmish weather, i would probably avoid putting on another hat over the helmut if this is the case. My son is three years old now and some of my favorite pictures of him are with his helmut, because he little personality just shined through like a 100watt bulb. Your feelings are completely normal and you are allowed, but remember they way YOU deal with it sets the tone for others. That baby is your pride and joy and dont let fear of others reactions take that away from you.

I too was very upset and hesitant about the helmet, honestly it bothered me more than it did Kellar..The way I had to look at it was how is he going to feel when he gets older and he's made fun of b/c his head is misshaped..especially if he knew that I could have done something to help it. Your child will not remember being in a helmet, but they may never forget you chose not to do all you could to straighten it out. You will get stared at so be prepared, we had Kellars painted, the first was black and had lightning mcqueen on it, it was super cool..his 2nd one was blue and on the back was elmos face, really cute..I even had people asking me where I got it from, if you leave it white in my opinion it looks more "medically" but if you paint it or decorate it it's cute..Kellars stunk something awful, we used alcohol in his, during the summer he sweated really bad and they told me to use zeabsorb i believe is what it's called..anyhow it's not that bad and in the end it'll be worth it..i have pics of kellars if you'd like to see them..

i too, took it hard when i relized how hard the desion was. now if you look at my profile, that is my little man with his helmet on.he is soooo cute.he has has it on for about 1 1/2 months now and his head looks beautiful.just think it won't be for the rest of her life. i too cried for several days over this. he now does get those stares but i tell them that he needs it and it's not polite to stare.we use alchol to clean it.i have before and now pics if you want to look at them. don't hesitate to write back. this is a very normal for you to feel this way.remember she is well worth it.

This is awesome to read all these stories. My son goes in next Tuesday to see if he qualifies for a helmet. I guess I am nervous they will say his plagiocephly is too mild. If that happens, I will go to multiple clinics until they get Carter a helmet. I don't want him to "hate" me later on if I failed to get his little lopsided head fixed.

Thank you so much to everyone. Aliya is doing great with her helmet so far. It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. I'm still having a bit of a hard time with it myself, but I'm getting over it. Here's hoping it's quick and successful!

We are just waiting for the insurance company to tell us whether or not our son is bad enough for them to pay for the helmet. I think it is pretty bad! I am very upset about him having to wear it and also about the staring. It's nice to hear others feel the same. He has torticollis so that is what caused his plagio. I know it's whats best, but to me that does ot make it any easier right now.

Aliya ended up wearing her helmet for 11 weeks. She didn't have much head growth the last 3 weeks, but we kept it on just in case she had a growth spurt. She's not 100%, but her head definitely looks much better than it did. We didn't have any rude stares. There were people that were curious and a few asked about it. The best part was she had a helmet to protect her noggin while she was crawling around, bumping into things, and falling down. It was harder for her to adjust to not having the protection when it was off than it was getting used to it when she first started wearing it!

Thanks! It is encouraging to hear that your daughter did not have much trouble adjusting to wearing the helmet. I am worried about that! Also it is great that she only wore it for 11 weeks. Can i ask why you decided to take it off if it was not 100%? I feel like i need to be more educated on when to remove it. Our doctor told us it was more our decision and i really don't feel like I know enough so please share your knowledge. Thanks!!!

My son is wearing his helmet for 23 hours a day now and I have the issues not him. He thinks it is awsome since he can run into things and fall down and it does not hurt him. We went through Hanger and they actually had differrent designs so that helped. He has alread had a head growth of over 7 % so he is going to have to get another one made to fit again. The only thing that we can do as mothers is find a way to describe the corrections differrent ways as people ask us. I know that the reason that Orion is wearing his helmet is due to the correction of the skull but it is fun to explain the correction procedure to people. It is even better to know that deep down inside that he babies are not hurt by it a bit and the helmets are just another reason for people to pay attention to your baby and you get all the complements!

Since Aliya hadn't had a major growth spurt and wasn't likely to (she was 1 year actual/9 months adjusted), we decided that the benefits of the helmet continuing were going to be marginal. The technician that does your checks will give you a good idea about when they might recommend discontinuing use. You will be able to tell when the change starts to slow down and you're not noticing as much benefit.

Our boys wore their Clarren helmets for three months. Since they were older when they got them-7 months adjusted-their heads have grown slower. They have not gotten 100% correction. We took them off a couple of weeks ago because it was getting hot and we have been waffling about putting them back on. Their heads definitely look better than they did before.

I have some pictures of kellars helmets on his website, I had both of them painted, his first one had his name on the front and Lighting McQueen on the back, the lady did a great job, the 2nd one I took to a airbrush shop and had them airbrush Elmo on the back, it was really cute.
www.kellarreid.com

I am feeling so much less discouraged thanks to all of you!!! Nolan is 4 and 1/2 months and is still waiting to get his helmet. They believe he should have it by 6 months. It is great to hear that these kids did not have to wear them that long and that the helmet really did not bother them. All of this great info is definately helping me to relax about this. Thanks soooo much!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders