Group B Strep/Gullian-Barre Syndrome?

Grandson has Group B Strep infection. I have a friend whose grandson was also a preemie and she is telling me that her granson had Group B Strep and that was diagnosed with Gullian-Barre Syndrome(GBS). I have searched the Internet and only on one site do I see the 2 listed together. Does getting Group B Strep mean you then have Gullian Barre? This is a neurological syndrome that sounds very serious. Has anyone heard Gullian Barre mentioned when their preemie had Group B Strep?

6 replies. Join the discussion

My son had GBS meningitis. Although gullian-barre can be triggered by an infection I find it a little curious that they both have the same initials. I wonder if she is mixing something up. I personally have not know a baby to get gullian barre after a group b strep infection!

Yes, that is what I thought, that she was mixed up, but she insists that they gave them the Gullian Barre diagnosis. His mother was a carrier of the Group B Strep. She was tested after giving birth to a 26 weeker. Occasionally, as I said, you see Strep and Gullian on the same website, but no definite reference to being the same thing.

Did she mention how the baby was treated for guillian barre? There is a very specific protocol for it. It is also mostly triggered by viral infections not so much bacterial. Ask her how it was treated and that might for sure give you the answer.

It was treated with antibiotics he had 2 bouts of it. They actually had sent him home and he had a second infection that had him back in the nicu for 5 weeks they put a shunt in him to deliver the antib longterm.

How did they treat the guillian barre? If it truly was guillian barre he would have been treated with an iv immunoglobulin. Also, guillian barre usually requires long term rehab/physical therapy. anyway, for your grandson i wouldn't be worried about guillian barre!!!

I think you are right, I shouldn't worry, especially since the doctors have not even mentioned it to my daughter and she is at a big university hospital nicu. thanks a bunch

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders