got a question bout ssi checks

my oldeset dd gets a ssi check for being a preemie.. im just curious if anyone knows how long you get those for ?

thanks
jen

25 replies. Join the discussion

as long as Social Security considers them disable, my 4 yr old still gets it, though we have to do evaluations once a yr, he is very speech delayed , autistic and add. Hope that helps
Steph

well i was just wondering cuz she has no problems whatso ever and i was wonderin if she will get cut off soon or is it up to a certain age?

He actually didnt get his first evaluation till he was four!!!! and he had just gotten it done by the schoo and SSI acepted that one.

My sister had ssi for her son (preemie) until he was 3.

My dd got reevaluated after a year of being on ssi and as far as i know is still considered disabled we haven't gotten a letter saying we won't be getting anymore or one saying she is yet, but at the moment we are still getting it. But my daughter has a few health problems, lungs, eating, and a few delays, she also just got a g-tube recently.

so my daughter also get ssi 4 now dat she is still in d hos, bt abt $30.00 a month, my social worker says it will change when she gets home depending on her health issue. my questions is does it matter how much income one makes to get more money. rgt now am a nurse, n am thinking dat i may not qualify after words, bt am gonna stop working after she gets home any way, does it really matter. anyone wt an answer pls.

My son just turned 1. We still recieve it when my income doesnt exceed their guidelines.
He really doesnt have any health issues anymore.
However, he still doesnt crawl or walk, and just started sitting up by himself a few months ago.

I know that they do have income guide lines . My son is almost 3 and still has some issues and gets it

I was wondering this myself. My daughter will be 2 in September and she still gets a monthly SSI check. I just figured it was because she was followed by the Newborn Follow-Up clinic here in our state. We get a postcard and/or letter every 6 months saying who her "approved" doctor is, but we don't have to get her evaluated. My daughter also still quailfies for medicaid. Who knows!?!

I dont work, but my husband does, and every 3mths we have to show proof of income. and the base the monthly amt on that, with us the go up and down, just recently they lowerd their amount again. One thing I can tell you is if you can keep your paystubs somewhere, cause they will ask you for them

My daughter is 2 and still gets them. When she was 1 year, adjusted, I got a letter asking what I spent the money on. She gets $30/month. So it was easy cuz it was always diapers or baby food!

Our checks stopped coming as soon as we got to bring him home. We had to change his address and that now put him in our household under our income. However we only received $35.00 a month to help with gas.

How early were your babies? My twin girls were 33 weeks spent 4 weeks in hospital. Do you think they qualify?

well in my state their birth weight has to be under 3 pounds. both of mine are preemies oldes one 25 weeks and baby was 30 weeks..

SSI does go by income. I THINK you can only make 1200.00 a month to get the max which is 674 plus 25 from the state. From my understanding as long as your baby preemie or not preemie medically qualifies you can get it. My daughter qualifies because of developmental delay and feeding issues. She is also being screened for Hemi (the doctor doesnt think she has it but want to continue to check for developing tumors and keep an eye on her kidneys). If your preemie weighed under 3lbs i think they are automatically qualified as long as you meet the income and resource limits. Hope this helps.

SSI does go by income. I THINK you can only make 1200.00 a month to get the max which is 674 plus 25 from the state. From my understanding as long as your baby preemie or not preemie medically qualifies you can get it. My daughter qualifies because of developmental delay and feeding issues. She is also being screened for Hemi (the doctor doesnt think she has it but want to continue to check for developing tumors and keep an eye on her kidneys). If your preemie weighed under 3lbs i think they are automatically qualified as long as you meet the income and resource limits. Hope this helps.

yes thanks im just wonderin as of now she has not issures what so ever .. whichis amazin considering she was a 25 weeker.. i was just wonderin since i dont think she wud be considered disabled anymore ,,,

Be careful with that because i was told if Keira had any medical changes for the good or bad I am to contact SSI and tell them. They also told me if they find her not disabled and she recieved payment I'd have to pay the funds back.

well they only contacted me last yr to see what i was spending her money on and that is it.. she never had any problems from the time she came home from nicu. so maybe they will revaluate her soon and may cut her off then..

I am not sure, I think they receive it as long as they are considered disabled and not working, My son born under 3 pounds (initial qualification of SSI) received about 5 to 600 a month, they I recieved an evaluation and they said that since I got married and our income was now too high, we had to pay back over 8,000 for being over the income and that if it was not paid back before my son turns 18, it would go on his credit report (Wow!) I never even asked for it, they just kept sending him checks. Originally the social worker at the NICU contacted me and had me sign some papers and that was that, until that review...

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders