First Birthday Party

I know that I have seen this thread on her before, but was unable to find it. My little miracle, Camryn, will be turning 1 on August 6. I decided to have her party on August 9th. It is definitely going to be a huge celebration at our home. People think that I am crazy, but she really is a miracle (i know you all can relate to that!). She had a twin sister that only survived for nine days. It is going to be a bittersweet day, but I really do want to make it special. Anyway, I am really looking for ideas and suggestions about how to really honor her miraculous strength and growth over the last year. We are definitely going to do a slide show, but other than that, I really have no other ideas. Also, I need ideas for goody bags for the other children that are going to be here (varying ages)... and what do you think about a moon bounce for the kids to play in? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

16 replies. Join the discussion

A great pace to look for birthday things is celebrateexpress.com. They have tons of cute 1st birthday things on there. If you have a lot of kids coming then the moon bounce would be great. All of the kids at Rylee's party were way to young to use something like that so we did not do it. The slide show sounds great. I am sure people would love to see the pictures of how tiny she was. For my baby shower (I had it after Rylee was born) we did paper place mats and had pictures blown up to fit on them. We did them of all different stages up to that point. People loved it and thought it was really neat. Just another idea for you. We also took a picture that I loved and made it an 8x10 and then put a blank mat around it so people could write a little message to her. It was also a great way to remember who came to her shower. You could do something like that for her party. Hope you get a lot of good ideas on here.

I have posted this before but my friend who had 26 week TTTS twin girls does incredible and beautiful photo cards. She has done both my children's as well as our March of Dimes thank you notes and they are the perfect touch to a special party. Her name is Jenny and her email is gladbiz@cox.net

As for suggestions, I saw once a person who made a memory table of photos from the first year and outfits from the beginning to now and so forth. Best of luck. Amanda

We just had Reagan and Daphne's 1st birthday party and it was great. We did have a moon bounce. People though I was crazy to go to all of the trouble, but I wanted to thank everyone for their love and support while celebrating the milestone that my 24 weekers are both alive. If you do a slideshow, make sure to stock up on the tissues. We put out the scrapbook instead.

It's not something for the kids, but the adults and yourself. I saw in other topics the doll that you can purchase customized to our miracles specific birth weight and size. I desparately want this at Emma's first birthday party. So much of the family didn't get to see her in the NICU and still don't have a concept of how small she was. She was my "little" Route 44. She was 2 pound 12 ounces at birth.

We are having tyler's first birthday in about a month! we are going to have it a a park that is close to our house. that way the kids will have room to run and a playground to play on. our house just wouldn't hold everyone. as for goodie bags i went on orientaltrading.com and they have alot of bulk small toys and candy. they also have alot of birthday things. that may help give you ideas! I will be setting out his scrapbook and some of his little outfits, i also have one of those dolls that dantoshclark was talking about and we will have that there as well. he was only 2lbs and most people have never even seen him yet so they really don't have an idea of how small he was. I will say the dolls are well worth the money! oh ya we also asked for no gifts. instead those who really want to get him something we are asking for a donation to the NICU. we are putting together little NICU survival kits for all the parents currently in the nicu! We are going to take them up to the hospital on his birthday.

I just celebrated my son's first birthday! I created my own invitations through my website at preservingspecialmoments@gmail.com. It's basically a digital scrapbooking!! I had his b-day at my sister in laws restaurant. So the restaurant was shut down for his birthday, we decorataed with tons of balloons & 1 decrations. I got my party supplies at http://www.celebrateexpress.com, I did the lil prince 1 birthday. I wanted to make his first birthday xtra special, b/c are babies went a little extra mile than full term babies!! I hired OOOPSY the wonder clown & she was a big hit. I had kids ranging from 1 - 16. I found the neatest stuff at Michaels for 1.00 for goody bags!! Good Luck & Happy 1st Birthday!!!

Question for 28wkTyler please - what are you putting in the survival kits? My daughter turns one soon too - cannot come up with ideas to make it a special day at the NICU. Please help.

Well since his b-day is close to the fourth of july we are using that theme. some of the items are snacks, hand sanitizer, small note pad to keep notes about babies progress, tissues, a onesie, or socks, small beanie, small flag, I own a scrapbook store so i'm donating some 4th of july theemed items. some other ideas the nicu gave me were, small baby toys, bibs, burp cloths, bath items, small hair bows, onsies, snacks, quilts, receiving blankets... the best thing i can tell you is to contact the NICU and see what items they need or allow to be donated, they can give you some great ideas!

hi, thanks!! I di ask the NICU all they can say is contribute to the hospital fund - i wanted to do something more special. Great ideas - my daughters b'day is June 9 - almost here!!

It is great to read all the responses...like many of you our little one is turning 1 June 1st!! We are doing the ice cream theme...ice cream cupcakes, ice cream 3-D cake, Sundaes, we rented a huge jumper for all the kids - Bright pink castle... we are having balloons and a balloon artist, face painter etc - we are going to make thank you notes with a picture of her in the NICU and one at her B-day, the note will read "What a difference a year makes" and on the inside include "thank you for all of your love and support during HJ"S first year"...we are going to save the scrapbook and video until Hannah's due date Aug 4th when it is just family and we celebrate all of her accomplishments - an Adjusted Birthday Party when she should have been 1 :)...IT"S AMAZING OUR BABIES ARE 1 - what a year!

Maybe it was one that I had posted, we did a HUGEEEEEEE PARTY for our son, we actually rented a party hall. We had a face painter come out, SHE WAS GREAT and only charged 30$ I have a ton on pictures if you wanted too see?? Also i did the first birthday theme, and rented a cotton candy theme , which was a hit, we had a pinata and lots of food, theres also a great baker we used to make maddoxs cake, her website is sensationalsoiree.com anyway I do agree our miracles deserve the best parties ever!!!!

The boys just had their first birthday party yesterday! We did the "Two Peas in a Pod" theme from Celebrate Express. We had a big cake, appetizer type foods and all sorts of drinks, including beer and wine for adults. We didn't do anything in the way of entertainment, because most of the kids there were under 1 year old. We did give little party favor bags to all the kids in attendance. It was fun! Of course the boys napped through the first hour of their own party, but what do you expect from 1 year olds?!

I'm so excited, Ethans 1st birthday is coming up July 6th and we are having a barbecue at my dads house. Pretty much all of my side of the family have never even met him so it will be a "coming out" party of sorts. There will be a few kids there but mostly young ones so I don't have to worry too much about that but it is so nice to hear everyones ides to really show the family how small he was. Shoot even some days i feel like I forget how tiny he was. : ) I really want one of those dolls but it just isn't in the budget so does anyone have any ideas of things we could use to show them how much he weighed? He was just over 3 lbs at birth.

Does anyone have the website for the preemie dolls?

www.weebundles.com

Thank you dantoshclark.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders