Fever at night only

Samantha is fine during the day, but at night that is when her fever sky rockets. We don't smother her blankets or anything like that. Can it be because she is teething again? Is this normal? She is fine during the day, but at night she can be as high as 102. Last night she was 102.3. I didn't sleep all night because I kept on trying to keep her cool. I reallly don't want to pay a visit to the emergency room.

8 replies. Join the discussion

as a kid i can remember having fever at night when i was sick. it is strange and ive never been told why. maybe teething is it but i wouldnt mess around with a fever. i would call the doc asap as fever generally is the 1st sign of infection.

Our doc said that if your are at all feverish and you lay around (which you usually do when you have a fever) it actually makes the fever worse. It's true. My daughter had her tonsils out and during her 2 week recovery her fever got really bad and then we took her outside and made her walk around it would go down with no tylenol or ibuprofen.

My son gets fevers only at night when he has an ear infection. Fine all day, fever at night, fine in the a.m. Weird and I have no idea why, but might be something to check out.

Your cortisol levels drop in the evening and at night, so your body is less able to fight off infection. That's why you often feel worse and have an elevated temperature at night...but 102+ still sounds high to me!

Your cortisol levels drop in the evening and at night, so your body is less able to fight off infection. That's why you often feel worse and have an elevated temperature at night...but 102+ still sounds high to me!

How old is she? My 9 month/7 adjusted son had a 102.2 fever the other day and I called the doctor and she said he's obviously fighting something off (fever is actually a GOOD sign - a sign that the immune system is working as it should), and at that age, as long as it didn't go over 104 (rectally), I didn't need to bring him in. (if he was younger than 6 months it would be a different story) Hope all is going well!

She will be 1 this Friday/ 10 months adjusted. Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to take her to the doctor's tomorrow.

A fever in itself is not an illness or infection, but it can be a sign that the body is fighting an infection. As someone else said, you are sickest later in the day. I don't see a need to go in to the doctor if the fever has only been there a couple days, but when you get to three or more days, I think it would be good to get it checked out. If nothing else, call the clinic and see if you can talk to a nurse.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders