Eczema

Zack is a 32 weeker who all of a sudden (4 mo/ 2 mo corrected) has
developed eczema. It's pretty gross and he sometimes seems miserable.
We get advice from everyone, but I'd prefer to take advice from someone
who's actually had a child with eczema within the last century!

Currently we are using Cetaphil cleanser in his bath and coating him
with cetaphil cream during the day. I started having him sleep with
one less blanket (he was swaddled with another blankie on top) and with
his humidifier on and the door shut (I have his monitor on in my room)
The doc gave me a prescription which I will pick up tonight and he was
switched to soy formula this week (I had really bad cow milk allergies
as a child, so you never know!)

Any other advice anyone has would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Janet and Z

11 replies. Join the discussion

Bot my daughter and son had eczema. My son still has it (8 yrs old). We had to do manythings to keep flare ups from happening. We didn't use the prescription frm the doctor because it had steroids in it and I read somewhere that it was not in babies best interest to use steroids of anykind . We had to dothe following and it seemed to help alot:

*change laundry detergent to purex because it disolves quicker than other detergents
*keep bathtime to no more than 10 minutes at a time because extra exposure to water causes their skin to loss the oils that keep their skin hydrated
*use plain yellow dial that has no perfumes in it

My 4 mo son has terrible food allergies and eczema. I wanted to point out that although the exact number varies depending on where you look, up to 50% of kids with a milk protein allergy are allergic to soy. The recommended treatment for babies with a milk protein allergy is a hydrolysed formula.

Check out these links from a pediatric gastrointerologist:
http://parentingsolved.typepad.com/parenting_solved/2008/01/aap-report -addr.html
http://parentingsolved.typepad.com/parenting_solved/2007/02/soy_formul a_not.html

Good luck. We used desonide and sinilar to clear up my son's skin when he got really bad a few weeks ago. It worked wonders!

-Kristie

Hi. The pediatrician gave us this cream to use. It is probably a steriod, but the eczema cleared up in less than 3 days using it 2x a day. It is called Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment USP .1%
We haven't had any repeat episodes so it worked really well for us.
Good luck!

My 32-weeker also developed eczema by the time she was about 4 months old. We struggled with it for a few months, trying to avoid the steroid creams. One of the doctors finally suggested that we should give her a bath every night (we use J&J baby wash) and immediately afterwards, while her skin is still damp, cover the affected areas with Aquaphor. It was amazing, it worked almost immediately and has done very well since then which has been about 8 months now. She still has some dry spots occasionally, but not the red irritated areas like it was.

Good luck.

I took my daughter (almost six months) to the doctor a few weeks ago for skin issues and they said it was eczema. Fortunately she did not have a bad case, but I could tell the red areas were getting larger. The doctor recommended using 1% hydrocortisone cream no more than twice daily. It made a difference almost immediately even though I only used it once a day. She also recommended putting Eucerin lotion on frequently.

I tried Gold Bond Medicated lotion in the green bottle. It worked like a charm.

hi my son had eczema and is still sometimes v dry but we found j&j aveeno cream and aveeno oil for the bath an absolute godsend it clears him up lovely . we also got an emolient called epaderm which is gross like lard but every night we grease him up and it really works a treat

First, it's not likely to be related to the formula. You'd be seeing other things happening along with a formula allergy.

Time to try a different detergent for your clothes. This means anything the baby comes in contact with, including your own clothes and all the sheets. Just simply letting the baby touch a "contaminated" object with a hand can mean eczema on other parts of the skin. This task is quite difficult! I'd suggest rinsing your sheets twice with water, too, to ensure that as much of the detergent is out of it as possible.

Next, try the steroid cream. It will reduce the flare-ups and prevent it from getting worse. It's typically made in a pharmacy by taking Aquaphor (or generic Aquaphor) and the pharmacist mixes in a steroid.

You might also just try Aquaphor (or is generic) on its own. Coat it on thick (like a layer of grease) for it to do any good. You can buy it in 16-ounce tubs (1 pound) at Walgreens and CVS. I suggest looking near the Aquaphor product for the generic, which is usually 10-20% the price (a bucket of name-brand Aquaphor costs about $20-$25 USD).

My son also has the same problem. The doctor had me put hydrocortizone cream on just the affected area and then cover his body with Eucerin twice daily. I also stopped using dryer sheets and switched to liquid fabric softener. Within a week or so the eczema was gone. I also use a mild baby shampoo, and limit his baths to two a week.
I started using the hydrocortizone cream with Eucerin for myself and my hands cleared up too, some flares but not often!!!

One of our twins has eczema, and so did my husband's brother (he also has food and cat allergies).

Basically, the immune system and skin react abnormally to irritants and allergens.

Different things can trigger eczema (atopic dermatitis) in different people. Some of those triggers can be rough or scratchy fabrics/surfaces; heat and sweat; perfumes, dyes, detergents (like those in soaps and laundry detergents); certain juices or foods (external contact as well as ingested); animals (like cats); dust mites; and other allergy triggers. Even colds and other infections can trigger eczema in some kids.

(You can do a google search for information or check out reputable sites like those of the Mayo Clinic or Children's Hospital of Philadelphia to confirm the details.)

In my daughter's case, the pediatrician said not to wash too frequently. We already use laundry detergent that is free of dyes and fragrances because those make my skin itchy and irritated.

Several good cleansers and lotions you can try (because no single thing works perfectly for every individual person):

*pHisoderm Baby Cleanser
*Aquaphor Gentle Wash by Eucerin
*Cetaphil cleanser
*Eucerin Calming Cream
*Triple Cream Severe Dry Skin / Eczema Care by Summer Laboratories
*Mustela brand's Stelatopia line of products
*doctor can prescribe steroid-containing cream

We used Cetaphil cleanser as well as the Aquaphor Gentle Wash for bathing.

The steroid cream our pediatrician prescribed helped, but I think that Eucerin Calming Cream (very rich and no fragrance) helped just as well without steroids.

Right now, our daughter no longer has the scaly patches that itch so much. They used to bother her so badly that she'd scratch her skin until it scabbed, and I worried her skin would get infected.

Occasionally she starts to scratch again, and if it's her arms that seem itchy, I make sure to put on long sleeves. If her legs/ankles bother her again, I cover them too. And we continue to use the sensitive skin cleansers and Eucerin Calming Cream. So far we've avoided a reappearance of the rash.

Keep in mind that anything the baby touches (perfume if you wear it, lotion on your body, detergent/dryer sheet residue in your clothing and bedsheets, dishwashing liquid residue on your hands) can cause a reaction.

And food allergies can, in fact, aggravate eczema in some people. My brother in law is one of them.

Good luck. I hope you find a way to manage the eczema soon, because my daughter's drove us crazy.

My 33 weeker has eczema, albeit fairly mild. The current research recommends daily baths for about 10 minutes in warm, not hot, water. Apply cream, I recommend Eucerin cream, within 3 minutes of getting out of the tub. In very irritated areas, use something like Aquaphor after the cream is absorbed. You can also spot treat scaly patches with hydrocortizone OTC ointment and then apply Eucerin cream over.

Moisturize daily - morning and night. Don't skip and don't skimp! During dry weather, our babysitter applies cream mid-day as well. If you use forced air heat, see about getting a humidifier installed.

Eczema is generally a symtom of allergies, so you are on the right track to minimize allergens. My DD's flare-ups usually occur during very cold, very dry weather, at weather changes, after illness or allergy exposure.

We tried Cetaphil, but it didn't really help for the expense. We now use Dove and haven't had any problems. I find the main thing is daily dilegence in applying moisturizer. Cream works better than lotion, ointment works better than cream. Words to live by with eczema. I would recommend trying to clear things up without resorting to prescriptions if possible. Long term use of steroid creams can thin the skin and cause problems later in life. Just my 2cents on that though.

Good luck!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders