Does your baby sleep through the night?

My 32 weeker who is now 6 months (4 corrected) is waking up a lot at night, and part of the reason is because he is used to having me hold him to go to sleep and doesn't know how to put himself to sleep, we are working on that...but how do you transition a preemie to do that when he has such a strong temperament and is really attached to me? At what age did your preemies sleep through the night or at least 7-8 hr stretches? Do preemies have a harder time with it than term babies? Or have I just gotten him into a bad habit?

13 replies. Join the discussion

I remember it took a while at first to get my daughter accustomed to a night time sleep schedule - I'm sure because of the fact that the nursery was almost always well-lit, and her feeding schedule was so regimented. I want to say she didn't start sleeping for 7-8 solid hours until she was almost 12 months old. On the bright side, she's almost two now, and regularly sleeps 12 hours per night.

Casey has been sleeping through the night for a couple of weeks now (he's 7m actual, 3.5 m adjusted). We have developed a routine and there's no way I'll deviate from it, now that he's doing so well. It's nothing major but it's working. I give him his bath, occasionally rub on some lotion (not constantly because it clogs the pores, so they say?), take him to our room and give him his bottle of formula (i nurse him through the day but by nighttime, my supply is pretty tapped out). We had to also do the daytime-lighttime, nighttime-darktime thing. In our room the only light comes from a small nightlight in the adjoining bathroom. The bath is supposed to lower the core body temp which makes us sleepy. (not that the water is cold, but once you get out and are drying off..the body temp lower a tad). So far so good. I hope you can find something that works out for you guys. I know you miss sleeping. *hugs*

Yosei (6mo/ 3adj) has been doing the sleeping through the night thing for about 2 months now. As pp said we've also got a routine. Usually starting around 11 p.m. he gets cranky and he nurses on and off for about an hour evenutally he nurses himself to sleep. And once he's in bed he doesn't wake for 6-7 hours. Unless he's really tired in which case I've gotten 9 hours of sleep out of him then (^-^)

I dont think that sleeping through the night has anthing to do with prematurity.

Well my daughter was born six weeks early. She started sleeping through the night by herself when she was 3.5 months actual (2 months adjusted). I actually struggled to wake her up and feed her some milk at night ( her slow weight gain was the biggest concern to feed her at night). But she just wont wake up and sleep at least for 7-8 hours at night.

From my personal experience I can tell you If baby's stomach is full they are more relaxed and sleep for long. Now the question is "are you breastfeeding" ? If yes then its not very abnormal to wake up at night several times as mother's milk digests very fast( which is a very good thing :-) and baby gets hungry soon even during nights. Many of my friends whose babies were born full term and are breast feeding, wake up 2-3 times during night for feedings.

If you are giving formula milk. Try to make her full at night before sleeping

You can try few things (in general)
Keep the room well lit during daytime sleeping and dark during night sleeping so that later he will be able to distinguish between day naps and night sleep.
Keep the crib next to your bed at night (if you have enough space in the room). As soon as you think He is waking up try to pat him softly or rub his back to go off to sleep again. So that he doesnt get a chance to actually wake up. My daughter is 10 months now and sometimes she too kind of wakes up but I use this method. It just takes 1-2 minutes and she falls sleep again and I also go off to sleep. So It doesnt really interrupt my sleep.

Hope this hepls

Archana

I have 6mos 3 wk , 4mos 1 wk adjusted b/g twins. They rarely sleep throughout the night. We have tried everything and I have read several books to assist. I stumbled across this CD called Sound Sleep for Babies. I keep it on repeat and it plays through the night, we went from getting about 3 hrs to 6 hrs. That extra 3 hrs made a huge difference in our sanity {;-) . I love to hear the cd over the monitor. It is the sounds of the womb/heartbeat w/light instrumental music in intervals. I found it on Amazon for apprx $20.00 I have given it as Baby Shower gifts since we discovered it!

Good luck!

ok i am spoiled....i'll admit that. My twins are 8m, 5m adjusted. Marc & Peyton have slept through the night since they were 2m adjusted ((and before that they were only up for one bottle at about 3am). I give them a bath around 730, a bottle around 8.15 and they sleep until 7am. They are really good babies. They do however lack any singnificant naps during the day.

my son is 4 months now 3 adjusted he is been sleeping trough the night since he came from the nicu its so hard to wak him up to feed but during the day no naps 3 to 5 min naps wishe drives me crazy

My daughter is 9 months (6 adjusted) she has been a really good little girl. She has been able to sleep thru the night 8am- 6am since she was 5months/2 months adjusted. She loves her sleep she takes 2 2 hour naps during the day. She gets her dinner at 7pm and then she goes to be by 8.

my little one is almost 4 months now...1 1/2 adjusted, is soley breastfed and sleeps for 5-6 hours straight followed by either 3 or 4 hours after...so if she is put to bed at 9 she will sleep to around 2ish...most of the time though i still wake her just to be sure she gets enough to eat then she will sleep until about 6....we still have her in our room in a bassinette next to my bed...

We swaddled my daughter, former 26 weeker, from the time she was in the NICU until she was about 12 months old. I think that helped her to stay asleep for long peroids of time because she couldn't wiggle herself awake. She has always slept through the night. Even when she first came home we had to wake her about every 3 hours for feedings but she would rarely wake up on her own. I don't know if you can start swaddling if you haven't been doing it from the beginning....

Our son only slept 1-3 hours per day for the first 2 months that he was home (came home around due date) because of Reglan (major insomnia as a side effect).

Around 3 months adjusted, he finally slept for 3-4 hours straight at a time.

Around 5 months adjusted, we got into infant massage. Henry finally slept through the night. It was quite a turn around.

Started teething around 6 months adjusted. That completely disrupted his sleep routine. What can I say? Teething is no fun for baby, no fun for parents.

Around 7 months adjusted, we let him sleep with us a couple times. When he was with us, he'd sleep really well. It became a habit.

Each night, we put him to bed in his crib. After an hour, he wakes up and wants his bed (the king sized bed formerly known as my husband's and my bed). We acquiesce. Having dealt with 2 straight months of insomnia, we will do anything that makes him happy, content, and get a good night's sleep. Big disadvantage is that he is a bed hog.

Griff is a former 26 weeker and spent 4 months in the NICU. When we came home he slept in a basinet next to our bed. He slept through most nights, but was an early riser. At 11 months actual we put him in his bed in his room with a white noise machine and a nightlight. He sleeps from about 8:30 until 7 or 8 in the morning. In the beginning he would wake up occasionally, but we gave him time to soothe himself to sleep. Now if he does wake up through the night we keep a cup of water in his crib and a few small stuffed animals. (He is older and the animals are no bigger than my hand) I have a video monitor and usually he’ll take a drink pick up his Max and Ruby, cuddle them and then lay back down. He does also only take one nap in the early afternoon for about 2 ½ hours and after dinner and a bath he is ready to read some nighttime books and go to bed. I guess my best advice would be to give you and your baby time to learn a new routine. There may be some crying….which broke my heart and I caved once or twice and just had to start over…..but it hopefully won’t last to long and everyone will be much happier in the end.

Good luck.

My son, not a preemie, started sleeping through the night at around 9 months. My twin girls, 30 weeks, didn't start sleeping through the night until they were 14 months (actual). They were up anywhere from 4-8 times a night! Talk about not getting any sleep!!! They were this way since they came home from the hospital at 8 weeks! They were breastfed. But, by the time they were a year old, they were only nursing during the night, none during the day. I desperately needed some sleep!

We were given some advice through their pedi, and their ECI therapist to give them a small dose of melatonin just before going to bed. I did some research on melatonin in infants. While it is not highly recommended, if it is used sparingly, it is not a problem. I would not encourage using it every night. It does not have any major side effects, but it is thought, when used in HIGH doses (not moderate), to encourage infertility. We bought the 3 mg capsules so they can be opened up and the powder can be sprinkled on some cereal. They eat and go straight to bed. We give them each approximately 1/3 of the capsule. So, there is always a little bit left in the capsule. Also, we don't give it to them every night. In the beginning, we gave it to them every other night. Just to get them in the habit of sleeping. They slept through the night the very first night!!!!! It was fabulous!!!! After about 2-3 weeks of giving it to them every other night, we backed down to every 3-4 nights.

They are in the habit of sleeping now. They usually go to bed around 9:30 and sleep until between 9:30 - 11:00! They still take one nap in the afternoon and take a rest while I am fixing dinner. They don't sleep, they just rest in their cribs with their blankets and pacifiers so that I can get dinner fixed.

Look into melatonin. You need to decide for your family if this is something you would like to try. I, personally, would wait until he is a year old. This would give him a chance to try to acclamate himself naturally before resorting to additional measures. If my girls were only waking up once or twice a night, I would NOT have done this. But, they were waking up anywhere from 4-8 times every night. It was just a habit they were in to that needed to be broken. We tried letting them cry, going in at various intervals, and a couple of other theories for months and we had no success. That is why we finally decided to try the melatonin. It worked great for us, but, again, I would wait until he gets a little older, because he may regulate his pattern at any time.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders