Dimple on lower back

Hey everyone! My son, Cristopher, has a dimple on his very lower back. They did an ultra sound of it and decided they wanted a better look and have planned an MRI in about 4 weeks. They're worried it could be Teatherd Spine Syndrome or might be nothing. Cristopher moves around with no problem and acts just like a normal baby just 10 times smaller. Is there something else I should look for? Has anyone else gone through this before?

11 replies. Join the discussion

My daughter had an MRI for a dimple in Nov. . She was almost 2, she has the dimple but it turned out to be fine nothing wrong. I was under the impression the MRI was needed after X-rays due to her size. I would assume that with your little guy size would be a factor. Hope all goes well, And Congrats on your Little Angel :)

These can also be a symptom of spinal biffita. When I was working as a nurse we had a person come in who had never had the dimple on his lower back looked at, when he fell he injured his spinal cord because the bone covering the cord was abnormally thin and hadn't completely closed over the cord but the defect was so small that it wasn't a problem until he fell landing on that section of is spine.

My daughters both have dimples right above their butt cracks (was trying to come up with a cute baby term for it, but nothing was coming to me). Our doctor told us that since she could see the base of the dimple there wasn't much to worry about. She said sometimes there's a concern it goes to the spine. Now, reading this post, of course I'm worried. What criteria do they use for determining whether or not further tests should be done?

Luckily they already ruled out spina bifida, just now it could be Tethered Spine syndrome, which they said can usually be fixed by surgery.

If the doctor said its okay, i would trust them. Dont stress over anything when theres no need :). And there really isnt a cute name for it is there? haha

My daughter has a sacral dimple - had an ultrasound & MRI and both showed it was not attached to her spine. But it is so incredibly deep that they want to do surgery once she's out of diapers to fix it.

With your little man being so small, it might be hard to look for signs yourself. What I was always told was that the lower half of her body would be very very weak if it was attached.

Anyway, congrats on your little one & I hope all goes well!

DIMPLED BUTT, that's a cute name.....

My daughter has the dimple and also a fatty scar in the lower-middle part of her back (that no one has ever been able to explain). When she got out of the NICU our neurologist decided he wanted to do an MRI. We found out she did have tethered cord syndrome (TCS) and she had the surgery to correct it. They did say that there is a small possibility it can re-tether so we follow up yearly with the neurosurgeon. He would only do another MRI if she started having symptoms. She hasn't had any issues since.

Here's an excerpt from wikipedia:

In children, symptoms may include lesions, hairy patches, dimples, or fatty tumours on the lower back; foot and spinal deformities; weakness in the legs; low back pain; scoliosis; and incontinence. Tethered spinal cord syndrome may go undiagnosed until adulthood, when sensory and motor problems and loss of bowel and bladder control emerge. This delayed presentation of symptoms is related to the degree of strain placed on the spinal cord over time. Tethered spinal cord syndrome appears to be the result of improper growth of the neural tube during fetal development, and is closely linked to spina bifida. Tethering may also develop after spinal cord injury and scar tissue can block the flow of fluids around the spinal cord. Fluid pressure may cause cysts to form in the spinal cord, a condition called syringomyelia. This can lead to additional loss of movement or feeling, or the onset of pain or autonomic symptoms.

I am not sure how old your son is, but mine had an MRI for a tethered cord around nine months and it was inconclusive and it had to be repeated when he was around one. Thankfully, he does not have a tethered cord, but we were pretty annoyed we had to repeat the MRI. Had we known there was a good chance that the MRI would have been inconclusive, we would have delayed, but no one told us that. We were actually going to wait longer to have the second MRI, since he did not seem to have any symptoms, but then at a neuro visit his doctor thought his legs were becoming hypotonic and we should move up the MRI. We should have waited for another exam because the next time his neurologist examined him, he thought his tone went back the other way (which was consistent with prior exams). By then we had had the MRI and had gotten the results. I guess my point is I should have asked more questions about how long we could wait and what the possibility was that the MRI would be inconclusive. I think that there is a very good chance, that your son would have no symptoms yet. My son had a Y-shaped gluteal crease which is also a marker for a tethered spinal cord.

my son also has a Y-shaped gluteal crease and a sacral dimples, i'm so worried! Can you tell me the posiition of your son's sacral dimples? My son's is at the lower back and pretty deep, but I can see the bottom if I use my finger to pull the hole.

My oldest has one on her back and she is going to be 9 . The dimple turned out to be nothing . I also have one LOL and I actually NEVER knew it till my husband pointed it out . I hope everything turns out fine for your LO =)
Susan~
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilyanaknapp

Thanks everyone :O)! My son's dimple is on the very lower back, right about the butt. Theyre really not so worried about it now because he moves around perfectly and doesnt show any signs of it being something critical. Fingers crossed theyre right when they do the MRI :O).

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders