ct scan questions (medical terms I don't understand)

I hope someone here can help I read Ronans chart today while the nurse stepped out. The cat scan report said a lot but this is what I wrote down as fast as I could. ventricle smaller than prior ct. csf surounding both cerebral hemisphers focal area overlying the left frontoparietal lobes. increased amount of csf in extra axial space. temoral horns most prominent. The neuro surgeon has been in surgery all day and hasn't even read the report yet. It Is very long and says other things but I didnt have a lot of time to write it all down before the nurse came back. Also he has 5 leads on today and usually has 3 I asked the nurse why and she says all cardiac kids have five. I told he he isnt a cardiac kid and she says u need to talk to the doctor but they are busy. There were 2 code blue I heard them myself. And she wont tell me anything I have to wait till morning. If anyone can tell me what it means please do so even if it is bad. Thank You

4 replies. Join the discussion

I don't know a lot about hydrocephalus, but the CSF sounds like cerebrospinal fluid. It's the fluid that causes the problems in hydrocephalus. I think the notes mean there's more fluid now. But the ventricle being smaller is a good thing, I think. They are enlarged during serious brain bleeds. I looked up temporal horn...it's one of several horns associated with the lateral ventricles. What exactly it does, I don't know, but it's near the temporal lobe, versus the frontal lobe (where the frontal horn is located), which I know has a lot to do with personality/behavior. My guess would mean it's larger due to the hydrocephalus but that's all stuff you'll want to talk to the doctor about. And I hope his heart is okay. What a way to have it broken to you if there is a problem. Hopefully it isn't serious. That's scary about the code blues too--sounds like it wasn't a good day there. I hope you get to talk to the doctors soon and get some answers to all your questions. Good luck!

From a neuro perspective this all sounds good to me, or at least not the source of your problem. (An enlarged 4th ventricle can cause some of the symptoms you've described like respiratory depression but this isn't at all what the radiology read says.) It appears that at least a general radiologist has read the ct scan so if there was anything that was obviously wrong and needed to be addressed immediately they'd figure out how to move around the other neurosurgery cases.

A few things I think I can translate here for you. Again this is only from my limited experience so I apologize because I could just be plain wrong.

1) "ventricle smaller than prior ct"
The ventricles are the primary location where csf fluid is produced and if a shunt fails is the primary place that would get larger. The ventricles can get too small (like overdraing, bing a lake) and you can develop other difficulties from this but it doesn't sound like this is the problem.

2) "csf surounding both cerebral hemisphere focal area overlying the left frontoparietal lobes. increased amount of csf in extra axial space."
Ideally you want some CSF fluid surrounding the brain, this is usually an indication that the brain is not under excessive pressure. In a shunt failure you see the ventricles get larger and the area between the brain and the skull shrink.

Finally the extra leads could simply be one more thing they are looking closely for and trying to rule out. Also as Ronan gets larger I think they switch over to standard ekg leads which I think there are 5 of. (I'm sure someone else can jump in and know more about this aspect though)

Rob

I can't add anything to this discussion (since I don't even understand my daughter's MRI), I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and little Ronan.

Wish I could help, but Rschlend pretty much said everything I was thinking - based on our experiences with Kylie and her shunt and hearing all the medical terms through out there (again, I'm no expert), but it doesn't sound like anything really bad to me.

I know how scary this type of stuff is (we just left the hospital on Thursday after being in close to a week again since she was vomiting blood) and it gets so crazy when you can't get answers. If you get frustrated and aren't getting the answers you need in a timely manner, call the hospital administrators or if they have what our Hospital called a "Rapid Response" unit - you can do that too. We did that a few times and it sure does get their attention, especially since they HAVE to respond within an hour I think it was.

But hang in there - we'll be praying for you.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders