C-section scar tissue

Has anyone else had pain/aching underneath their c-section scarline? or even balls/lumps that burn and pain when pressed? I have been to the doc and they have done tests/ultrasounds, only to say it is just scar tissue, and help out there?

14 replies. Join the discussion

yep i have experienced all of that as well and mine has been 5 months. i dont feel tremendous pain or anything but pressure is uncomfortable. how long ago was your surgery?

I had the same thing for about 3 months after my c section....my doctor told me that the stitches on the inside muscule hadnt yet dissolved for some reason...they were considering going in and cutting them out...but i kept putting it off and eventually they did dissolve. but i still have alot of scar tissue from my c section too, but for me the actual incision site is still completly numb...and my daughter is almost 14 months!

3 and a half years ago :-)

hmmm... dont know what to tell ya in that case! maybe see a different dr if it bothers you that bad!

mine is still sensitive, especially if it's pressed on or the kids try to climb on me (18 months later). Like all major incisions, you could have sensitivity and nerve damage around there forever. But if it really bothers you all the time, definitely talk to your doctor.

I still too have some ocassional tingling / slight numbness on the left side - C section was almost 17 months ago...

Yep I have that too. During my annual they thought I had some sort of STD because of the pain but they found it must be the scar tissue. Mine is still sensitive and will sometimes ache. My left side came open and had to be packed. My friends daughter is going to be 8 and she still feels some discomfort. Mine will be 2 yrs in Nov. I also get alot of pain if I am on my feet alot.

I still can't feel anything in certain spots. I've had 2 c-sections now, so depending on the spot it is either 4 years old or 2 years old. They tried to do my second right on top of the first, but since I had to have a really big one with the quints and a not as big one with my singleton there are some areas that don't overlap. They cleaned out some scar tissue with my second one.

Does anyone else have a really deep dip in their scar? In one area it dips into my stomach much farther than the rest. I had the dip even before I had my second c/s done.

My C section was done almost a year ago and I do get lumps and burning at the incision site. I also get pains in the incision site when I stand or walk to long. Both of my sisters had C sections and they said that they also experienced the same symptoms and sometimes they still get burning at the incision site even though they had kids years ago.

I have a deep dip on one side of my scar as well and I just noticed a lump underneath the scar that wasn't there before. I am having pain on that side too. My C-section was 3.5 years ago. I am planning on having my OBGYN look at it when I have my yearly exam in September.

Here's a question, if you have a second c-section, do they cut right over the top of the old scar?

Just the thought of that causes me pain!

I am not sure, but my guess would be no. I had a tram flap done several years ago when I had a mastectomy. I remember at the time the plastic surgeon told me he cut me higher than most patients in case I had children and need a c section. I have had two natural births ( the first child I lost, he was only 17 weeks). I had an emergency c section with my daughter. I wanted my tubes tied and they would not do it during an emergency section. After I saw my ob and asked her to tie my tubes, she told me she could not do it. She said she saw too much scar tissue from my flap surgery and would have more from my section.Sooo, after my long explanation of my experience, I don't think they could cut on top of the original csection scar, but they could probably cut just above, and cover the old scar, by stretching the skin and stiching. I had breast biopy scars that were smaller than the previous because the surgeon did this.

Laura, in all the repeat c/s I've watched, the surgeon cuts out the old skin scar. It might depend on the doctor though. Saliby, the dr might have been talking about internal scarring rather than the scar on the skin.

I just wanted to update this post... The painful lump under my scar got much worse (about the size of a ping-pong ball and very painful) and I went to see my OBGYN. She said it is an endometriosis cyst. They sometimes try to treat it with hormones but since I can't take any hormones due to my blood pressure issues, I am going to have to have surgery to have it excised. They will also look inside and see if there is endometriosis inside that could be causing my pain/cramping/heavy bleeding and remove it if necessary.
Just thought I should post in case others have the same issue. They said it's good that I didn't wait for my September appointment since it's growing so fast.

Mine is numb, but because it was a verticle incision my underwear and pants rubbed it so it took forever to heal and still stings occasionally. It's also very lumpy, but that's just scar tissue. I would definiately see a second doctor about that though!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders