Bumbo seats and low muscle tone

Can anyone tell me about their experience with bumbo seats and low muscle tone preemies. I ordered two this week as I have twins and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. I guess I put the cart before the horse, but I had read some good things and thought I would see if anyone out here has good feedback to share.
Thanks.

10 replies. Join the discussion

We love the Bumbo! Elliott sits in it well and he really enjoys it. The only thing I would recommend is speaking to your ped. or to a therapist first. We were told that the Bumbo is great... but to please not put Elliott in it until he was about 8 months. Of course, he still has lung issues and they wanted to make sure he was strong enough to sit without any slouching. You might just want some input to see if the docs think it's appropriate for your LO's yet.

I had a bumbo for my son (he has low trunk tone) and it was great. It helps strengthen their muscles so that they can learn how to balance while sitting. It is important that you don't leave them unattended in it because they will eventually learn how to get out of it!

I had a Bumbo for my twins as well. Their physiotherapist HATED it. She put a time limit of no more then 15 mintues a day, and said that the way the baby sits in it teaches them to sit on their tailbone. Def check with your therapists! lol My daughter is just starting to sit on her own, she is 16/19mths, so I did use it sometimes to play at a toy that she couldn't play with laying on the floor. Her OT liked it (also for short periods) because it allowed her more fine motor play opportunities. hth

Charlie loves her seat! But like the other mom says never leave the alone while in it. Good luck to ya!

we had a bumbo but her ei therapists hated it stating that it teaches them to sit incorrectly! she said if they are sitting up on their own then they are fine but if they havnt done that yet they teach them to sit incorrectly. so we got rid of ours.

Another great option is the Hugga Bebe http://www.avababys.com/servlet/the-691/Hugga-dsh-Bebe-Support-Cushion/Deta il
That is a preemie in the picture.

We had a bumbo seat but didn't use it very often. Our therapists never commented on it. I didn't really like the way our son sat in it as he was often slumped and looked really uncomfortable. Sometimes I would stuff a small towel or blanket in w/ him to correct his posture. We never had a Hugga Bebe, but it looks a lot better for a small baby than the bumbo. I would probably try that again instead of the bumbo.

My experience was similar to Henrysmom. Our daughters slumped in it, and we just never used it. Later on, our PT said they don't like them b/c they don't encourage core development, but I think it's like anything - if you put a baby in a Bumbo or Excersaucer for 6 hours a day, that's not good. But a few minutes here or there, fine.

We had a great time with our daughter's BUMBO and I noticed a difference in her trunk support within 2 weeks... however she was about 9 mo actual/6 mon adjusted when we implemented it into our playtime.
We never sought EI for WIllow, but her NICU follow up program did have one there and told me they noticed a difference in her strength post BUMBO. Hope this helps!

I have a hugga bebe in green if anyone is interested. It's pretty much brand new. Sean used it once or twice.

http://www.myhuggabebe.com/

It goes for $27 plus tax and shipping.

Best offer gets it. How's that?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders