Apnea Monitor

I feel the Apnea Monitor should be allowed and sent home with every single baby that has Apnea's. My son passed and it could of been prevented!!!

11 replies. Join the discussion

I can't believe they sent him home without an apnea monitor, that you were denied one (read your profile). A baby who comes home on oxygen should definitely have a monitor sent with them. I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet son Joshua. My son was also a 23-weeker, who came home on oxygen. He didn't have any apnea spells while home, but they sent a monitor at least, and wanted us to use it the whole time he was on oxygen (4 months). Our monitor didn't work well--it had dozens of false alarms--over 200 at the first 3-week check. But I was still thankful for it. Since then I learned of a monitor that can be purchased called an Angelcare monitor, that sounds so much better than our apnea one. But that's all beside the point...they should have sent you home with a monitor. What did they say when they learned of his passing??? What can they say, I know...but that was total negligence on their part. I am terribly sorry.

I looked at your profile again and saw he came home after only 3 months in the NICU? Around 36 weeks? Maybe not even that? That is very early for a 23-weeker to be sent home. Andrew didn't come home until 41 weeks. I know it isn't going to change things for Joshua, but I hope that hospital rethinks their policies on a lot of things. Again, so sorry for your loss. Your family is in my prayers.

Yes! He wasn't even due till april 14th. I had my son and lost in before his actual duedate. I was tol the monitor drove the mother more crazy but I cried to the nurses and even the head cooridatntr and they still told me no. I plan to fight this. Not for money but because other preemies can be saved. They didn't even run proper test on my son. At childrens they said his heart was working so hard because his muscle around the heart was so think, I'm disgusted by antelope vallkey hospital..the nurses well some were great but my son should have never been discharged so early.

I do not blame you one bit. I'd be doing the exact same thing. They could defend sending him home early, maybe, if he was eating well and hadn't had a spell in over a week, but it still seems unusually early for a baby so young. I don't think I've heard of another 23 weeker on this board going home at that gestation. They may try to defend that decision, but they can never explain refusing to give you a monitor. Sure, some of us, like me, had one that drove us nuts, but at least we HAD one. And them missing a heart complication is another thing. Sounds like the hospital did not do everything they could for your son...not at all.

Sorry to hear about your loss! We too are from the AV/Santa Clarita area and now live in Texas. I have heard some not so great things about AV hospital. My friend was induced without her knowing. She was told she was being monitored and would have an IV just in case anything happened. She was told they were giving her fluids and started her on pitocin. She was furious when she got her medical records. Anyways, I hope you find the answers you are looking for. A couple of 23 weekers I have known have spent 4-5 months in the NICU. Keep us updated! Hospitals should be held accountable for their lack of response.

I had a horrible experience with av hospital & can't believe the things they do their. My son should of been tested more & not discharged so damn soon....I cried I didn't want him home that soon they kept saying it would be ok.....

ITA. I can't even fathom what that has to be like. I am glad you tried to advocate for your son. I can't believe the hospital didn't listen. Obviously, they had never had a tragedy like this occur before (I am assuming) so they thought it would be okay. But it was their responsibility to know that your baby surely could have suffered an apnea episode. Any preemie at that age could. Was he on oxygen? I am assuming since he was a 23-weeker a few weeks before term, that he was. Just so sorry, again, that this happened to your son and family.

I am so sorry that your little boy passed away... I am so sorry for your heartbreak... There really are not any words I can say to help you... It sure does seem like an apnea monitor would have prevented this... Something that we will never know... I hope it might be a comfort that he died in your love... in his home... surrounded by you and your family... I wish we could turn back time and make doctors listen more, do more, know more, and realize how fragile these precious miracles are... So sorry...

I am sorry for the loss of your son. My 27 weeker went home a month after his due date, on o2 with a monitor. He actually passed the test but the doc felt he should not go home without a monitor if he was on o2 so they fudged a bit so insurance would cover it. I thank them every day for their disregard for the insurance companies and the welfare of my son! They knew he needed it, and did whatever they had to get him one. I would fight it too if I were you.

wow!! what hospital did you have him? thats amazing. i actually cried the day he was being discharged i wasnt ready & had a horrible gut feeling they assured me that all moms taking their babies home after months in the nicu felt this way. They actually told us if he turns blue stimulate him and remind him to breath, i said and ok what about night time I need a monitor, i was denied said it wasnt necessary!!!!!

whats sad is they got him stabalized out here and flew him to childrens and said his heart muscle was so think he was already having issues they never did a complete check up on him before they discharged, they said hey he is enough wait and is eating the bottle and breathing somewhat well with oxy!!! i wish i would of said more i feel so guilty for not pressing the apnea monitor issue more, but than i think why should i have to beg for it??

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders