Anybody have a full term baby after preemie??

I had my son at 32 weeks due to pprom. We never found out why my water broke though. I think maybe stress and working too hard. My son is now 14 months old. We are finally saying that we do want to try to have another baby sometime in the near future but I am terrified of having another preemie. I am still not over the shock and trauma of it all and he did very well. Has anyone had a full term baby after similar situation?

12 replies. Join the discussion

Well I asked the same question.....everyones different though, I had my baby at 33 1/2 wks. She was in the NICU for 2 weeks and came home on an apnea monitir. Shes good now and going 8 months....I am now pregnant again, :) I pray that This time It'll be a full term...Im gonna be looking into the progesterone shot, which is what everyones recommending. Don't stress out about it so much....remember God doesn't put events in our lives that we can't handle...Leave it in his hands.

My twins were born at 23 weeks. My surviving son is now 2 1/2 years old. I recently had another son, he's now 4 months old. He was considered term being born at 38 weeks. He ended up spending time in the NICU anyway due to some cardiac issues.

I really love what Veronyka said: Remember God doesn't put events in our lives that we can't handle...Leave it in his hands.

I could not say better.... TRUST HIM

There is a website especially for moms who have had a preterm birth and are planning their next baby. It's called www.KeepEmCookin.com.

It talks about risk factors, prevention, and treatment options. I hope you will check it out!

My son was born at 37 weeks this past December...

*Very* different from my first pregnancy: twin sons, pPROM at 26 weeks, birth at 28 weeks, death of my firstborn at 3 days.

Doctors found no reason for my pPROM, either-- other than a twin gestation. I'd had a good check-up four days before my water broke.

There are LOTS of good ways to prevent PROM, from p17 shots to cerclages... It's been discussed a lot recently on here, maybe you can find past posts--?

I had nothing new done in this second pregnancy, other than early testing for infection. I had a great high-risk doc and an OB who understood and accepted my fears, letting me call her anytime I was worried.

What a joy, to hear my baby's cry-- and to get to take him home right away!!!!

Blessings,
Kyrsten
Mom to ^Jonathan^, Joshua (born at 2 lbs., 9 oz.-- now 2.5 years), Jaydan (full-term, 5 mos. actual)

I had my first baby at 35 weeks, second at 36 weeks, third at 33 weeks, and forth at 32 weeks. I hope you have better luck than I did :)

Best wishes!!

my water broke at 23 weeks--then I had my son at 24 weeks. I bled the entire pregnancy though, so knew it wasn't going well.

My second pregnancy was 40+ weeks. I went on progesterone suppositories the entire pregnancy, and was followed closely by ObGyn that time. (first pregnancy was just family doctor). I'm convinced I just don't make a good placenta, as I spotted a bit with my 2nd, but it stopped as soon as I started on Progesterone.

Good luck! Its certainly scary trying again.

My son was born @ 33weeks 3days spent 2 weeks in NICU as a feeder/grower.

With the help of 17P I made it to 28weeks 6 days with my daughter....I highly recommend the weekly 17p injections...She would have probably been even earlier without them.

I had a preemie - 32w5d and he spent 5 weeks in NICU, starting out as a feeder/grower, then at 2 weeks old, he developped NEC, so was in for another 3 weeks on NPO and antibiotics, and is now 15 months and thriving. I'm now Pregnant with #2 (8weeks) and will be seen by a perinatologist at the hospital, hoping they have something to help me get to term. good luck to you, and to us all trying for #2 after a preemie.

I had a preemie - 32w5d and he spent 5 weeks in NICU, starting out as a feeder/grower, then at 2 weeks old, he developped NEC, so was in for another 3 weeks on NPO and antibiotics, and is now 15 months and thriving. I'm now Pregnant with #2 (8weeks) and will be seen by a perinatologist at the hospital, hoping they have something to help me get to term. good luck to you, and to us all trying for #2 after a preemie.

My son was born at 32 w 5 days. My daughter was born at 38 wks 5 days. I also did the p17 shots from week 18-36, then took procardia and was on bed rest in the end. Good luck and have fun trying!!

My first son was born at 29w even @ 2lbs14oz, my second son came in at 8lbs4oz @38w. Thought everything was clear, hunky dory until my third son was born @ 27w weighing in at 2lbs2oz. Now I'm 20-1/2 weeks pregnant with our 4th son, taking 17P shots starting two weeks ago and crossing my fingers that lightning doesn't strike in the same place thrice.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders