swollen feet good or bad c6 quadriplegic

I'm a c6 quadriplegic and I'm trying to find out what other quads do to prevent my feet to swell trought the day, also what are the side effects if your feet are swollen all day. asking for advise thank you.

6 replies. Join the discussion

My fiance is a paraplegic. He has very bad swelling every day. His legs and feet stay swollen. He takes lasix twice a day and some days it seems to help. He is steady releasing urine so I know the lasix is working. The Dr. said that the swelling could be from the foods he eat. I dont think the swelling is a big issue at the moment with us but it could be different with you.

Ah yes... swollen feet. I am 14 years post and this is something I deal with too. Fluid just puddles in the feet and legs when I sit too long, barefooted. I massage my feet everyday, moving the toes (this little piggy went to market...), rotating the ankles, keeping the fluids moving. I wear shoes most of the time (Keen's with a roomy toes-box and laces) and this seems to keep my feet from swelling. I also do warm-water workouts most days and this keeps my whole body moving. When I travel in airplanes, I wear those "ted-hose" (it takes an army to put them on me) but it keeps my legs comfortable. Elevating the legs and feet above the heart will encourage the flow of fluids back towards the upper body. I don't "do" drugs.. too many side-effects. I don't know what kind of movement you have as a C6 quad. We are all so different. I have become high-functioning over the years. I suggest moving whatever moves as much as possible... getting out of your chair off-and-on throughout the day.

Fluid goes downhill, the more you sit the more swollen your feet get. Not terribly dangerous unless the skin breaks down and starts to weep. Drugs like neurontin can aggravate, but help nerve pain. TED stockings and there is a machine that squeezes your calves while lying down helps. Elevating your legs to the level of your kidneys is the cheapest way. Trying to get the muscles moving in your legs possibly with FES on a bike (Functional Electric Stimulation). Good Luck to you and you family. Think positive.

Hi...C5-6...28 years post injury... Here are my suggestions (some already mentioned):
movement of legs/feet/hips, exercise (swimming is great for swelling, standing frame too), elevating feet (watch out for added pressure on rear and heels), support hose (even cheapies from drug store), electric stim (cheaper options than FES bike work too), closed shoes (hightops best, trash the flipflops), occasional diaretics, enough sleep, limited salt, massages (deep muscle if you can take it), and drink enough nonalcohol. Elevating sometime daily is a must. Otherwise, find what works for your body and time. As far as consequences, swelling will increase the likelihood of pressure sores, blood clots, and cellulitis. Trust me, it is worth the bother.

hi, after reading all the info given by u all, i too, would like to share one of my ways of reducing the swelling of the feet.
well, i lie down on my back, hold both my legs with one hand each, then just do passive cycling motion. do this often whenever u lie down. u can do this exercise for about 5 - 10 mins each time. it's simple n very effective. trust me, it's easy n helpful to our bowel movement too.

I use the tilt mechanism on my chair several times a day to elevate my feet/legs. It seems to help me.

Bob

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders