movement on a t8 complete paraplegic

Can anybody help me. My husband was in a motorcycle accident on 12/09. He has been to rehab about 7 times. the other day, he was able to pedal a staionary bike, on his own, for 3 minutes (he had to stop, because his arms began to hurt) How can that be. He still cannot feel or has movement. he can sometimes move his toes too. has this ever happened to anyone! i am amazed at his progress. see it can happen! dont give up. i cant wait to see whats coming next.

11 replies. Join the discussion

of course it can happen and it's great..tell him to keep at it daily and he will get stronger..is his legs pedling or is ha using his arms to push his legs?
either way the movement will be great for him. My son rides an FES bike with electrodes on his legs to re educate his muscles. His injury started as a T6 he is now a T12. He is now showing 58 percent movement in his right leg
of his own muscles working and 50 percent or so on the left. My son also started walkong with KAFOs a month after his injury. The more you move the more you can improve..doc tells him that all the time. Good luck to you and beat wishes for lots of recovery. Mom and Matt

excuse the typos....im half blind

thanks for your quick response. =] he is pedaling completely on his own. its like a reebok bike, where they sit him and hold his waist for support, the therapists start off, by pushing down on his thighs to help him pedal. then they stop and last time he kept going for 3 minutes...
can you tell me more about KAFO, I would really like him to do that. Thank you so much....

tell him to keep trying they really need to get him on a RTI or MOTO med bike so they can monitor his actual muscle response....

KAFOs are knee ankle orthotics...now with his injury being so high up they have ones to support the hips as well... They are designed especially for each patient so talk to the theripists see if this is somthing he can work towards...they have to be perscribed by your DR. They are durable medical equipment. They will tell him he has to work on his trunk control......being able to sit up on his own. We bought Matt a Wii system with the Wii fit. ;att sits on the board since he can't stand and does the balance games to help strengthen his tummy muscles... Talk to the therapists and see what he has to do to be able to use orthotics...never let them tell you never we have a quad who walks with very elaborate braces...He told my son never give up or give
in. Mind over Matter. Works for everything but my sons constant UTI infections...

goood luck

anybody that wiggle toes is a incomplete! 3 yrs i been t7 and nothing but pain. im a in complete! well God bless him and i wish him well!

HI PALPATO,
I AM AN INCOMPLETE I'M WAS A WRECK IN 1995 AND AS A RESULT I HAVE TBI AND PARALIZED ON MY LEFT SIDE I HAVE SEVERE PAIN SO JUST BECAUSE U R AN IMCOMPLETE THAT DOES NOT MEAN U DON'T HAVE PAIN MY DAUGHTER AND HER FAMILY TAKE CARE OF MY NEEDS SUCH AS MED'S AND WHEN WE TAKE MY WHEELCHAIR THEY PUSH ME AS FAR AS A BATH I CAN DO THAT BUT EVERYTHING IS HARD BEING AN INCOMPLETE IF I WERE LIVING ALONE IF I FALL THEY ARE HERE TO HELP BEFORE I WOULD DRAG MYSELF TO A PHONE TO GET HELP I TAKE MY PHONE WITH ME BUT IF I FALL MY LUCK IS ITS AWAY FROM ME I JUST BLAME IT ON TBI THOUGH WELL HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY

HI I WISH THERE WAS NOT A MOTORCYLE WRECK BUT I WAS IN A CAR WRECK LEFT ME PARALIZED ON MY LEFT SIDE I HAVE BEEN IN AND OUT OF REHABS FOR YEARS THE LAST TIME I TOLD THEM I WAS NOT COMING BACK I HAVE BEEN THERE DONE THAT AND I WAS SICK AND TIRED OF IT I ASKED WHAT THEY WERE GOING TO DO THE GIRL TOLD ME WHAT I HAD ALREADY DONE I TOLD HER I WAS THANKFUL FOR WHAT THEY WERE DOING BUT I HAD NO INTENTION OF COMING BACK......... UNLESS.......... SHE WAS ABLE TO FIX ME I WAS NICE TO HER BUT I TOLD HER I HAD BEEN TO ALLOT OF REHABS AND THEY WERE ALL THE SAME GO TO ONE THEN ANOTHER THEN ANOTHER I DON'T DRIVE NOW AND IT WOULD B TO HARD TO GET A RIDE AS MUCH AS I WAS TO COME SO I WOULD NOT BE BACK LOL

I THINK HE SHOULD KEEP TRYING BUT I TOLD YOU MY STORY GOD BLESS YOU BOTH

He is clearly an incomplete paraplegic. It's common for people to be initially diagnosed as complete only to find out later that their injury is incomplete. With movement below the level of injury he is incomplete.
Sounds like he's doing great.
My son started with KAFO braces in PT -- I would ask about them.
Good luck.

there are days when he can move his toes, and there was once a time that he could actually lift his leg up, it wasnt a spasm. i even taped it so people would believe me. he only did that once, but his movements are only on certain days, where does he go to get rechecked?

Its early....very early. He needs to keep trying to move as much as he can endure. To wake up anything is big. You heave to encourage him to try what ever is offered as far as assistive technology (leg braces, walker...anything!). I started out wiggling a toe, and over the next year and a half, regained enough movement to be able to use braces and sticks. It aint pretty, it aint stable, but its gettn down the road. I hope he gets everything back, hell I wish we all could recover from our injuries. Best of luck to the both of ya'll!.....take care...

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders