Gabapentin and Joint/muscle Pain?

Has anyone experienced joint or muscle pain while taking Gabapentin? I'm having terrible shoulder, elbow and hip joint pain during the night and the only two things I've done differently in the recent past is take an Arthritis swim class and restart three daily doses of Gabapentin for the awful burning sensation on my skin. Someone suggested that perhaps I wasn't using the right form in the swim class so I've suspended that activity for the time being. Perhaps this joint pain is a holdover from using bad form in the swim class but it has been 10 days since I last attended that class and the joint pain level hasn't changed so I was wondering if maybe it is the Gabapentin and not the swim class.

Karen

9 replies. Join the discussion

You said you are taking an arthritis swim class. Perhaps it's your arthritis flairing up? I take Gabapentin 4 time a day & only get muscle pain when I sleep funny or exercise too much. Try taking Advil or Aleve.

I don't have arthritis (that I know about anyway) and only took this class because my rehab rec therapist said it would help me improve my strength and balance. Maybe it is just coincidence that I started having joint and muscle pain after starting these classes’ and I will give it more time without taking the class to see if the pain goes away. I just thought I would ask about the Gabapentin as I restarted taking it about the same time as I started the swim classes. I had stopped taking it because I blamed it for drying out my eyes so bad. Found out chronic dry eye was the root cause of that problem so am being treated for that separately and resumed taking the Gabapentin to calm the nerve pain. In hindsight I should never have made two changes in my routine at the same time. I won't do that again.

Karen I take Gabapentin 1200mg a day for Peripheral Neuropathy. For me it has some adverse effects. It makes me kind of mean sometimes.. I find myself snapping at people for not doing what they should instead of suggesting they get on the ball..lol
This is so NOT ME .. that I looked up adverse effects.. now Joint Pain has been reported as being a side effect .. if it is bothersome you might want to relay this to your Doctor. I notice the joint pain in my hands. It makes it hard to type and this is I think from fluid retension that the Gapapentin causes. That fluid retension might be why your joints hurt. Run it by your Doc see what they suggest. When mine gets bothersome I take 200mg of motrin and it goes away.

Good Luck!

Thank you for that feedback. Now that you mention the fluid build up and the decreased mobility, that makes sense. I too experience decreased mobility as the day wears on (and the Gabapentin builds up in my system). At the end of the day my whole body feels like I've been pumped full of air to the point my skin will pop like a baloon filled to far with air. I will discuss with my doctor.

I know what you mean, ever since my spinal cord injury in 2006, I could only change one variable at at time, lest I wouldn't know what really worked. It adds a step to the process, even though I'm desperate to get relief. I too swim as recommended by my Dr. of Physical Medicine, and while I'm in the pool, I have absolutely zero pain, but the second I get out, the pain returns. I've tried EVERYTHING to reduce the pain. I've tried everything, Gabapentin, Lyrica, some meds that are habit forming, aleve, tylenol, advil, you name it, I tried it. Most drugs just make me sleepy, so I stopped that because sleeping 12 hours/day is not good from my perspective. Recently I learned that if I drink 8 ounces of Tart Berry Juice each morning at breakfast, my pain is tolerable. The tart taste is tough to take, but the joint pain seems to be much improved. Thing is, you have to drink the Tart Berry Juice for almost one month before it is totally in your system for it to be beneficial. I hung in for almost three weeks before I felt relief. It might be worth a try for you, as it seems to be working for me, finally. Good luck, and God Bless you.

Where do you get Tart Berry Juice? Is it commonly available at a grocery store or a speciality item at a health food store? Holistic is better than chemical every time from my perspective.

God did bless me - I can walk.

Karen

I apologize for assuming you had arthritis. I don't seem to have any side effects from taking Gabapentin, at least I don't notice any. But, I've been taking it for almost 8 years.

No apologies needed. I should have been more specific. Bad habit of mine - assuming...

You can find the Tart Berry Juice in almost any grocery store. In Kroger's it's in the "health food" section. It's a little more expensive than normal juices, but less expensive than medicine, to be sure.

Good luck to you . . . I hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

God bless you twice!

Jim

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders