My change from Fentynal to Oxycontin

I am on my second day on 90 mgs. of Oxycontin, from 100 mcgs. of Fentynal patch. I really thought that 90 would be enough to make the change. I am in bad pain. It's just not enough. I am taking the Oxy 90 x 3, and 30 x 6 for breakthrough pain. Is there something wrong with me?!!!. I am going to have to call my doctor and ask what adjustments need to be made?. My doctor warned me that I would have the same old problem with the time. I am happy with 90 x 3. Every 8 hours is a generous time for 3 dosages, so It is just not strong enough!. Well, I guess I should wait a couple of days and see how he reacts. As far as the "no crush" formulation of the drug, I am happy they are doing the change. I got on a different website, and everybody is getting off of Oxycontin saying that the new formulation does not work for them, so they are switching to something else. Come on!, they must think they're doctors are stupid!. I wont get so many dirty looks from my family, or the pharmacy now that you can't crush them, or whatever some people want to do with it to get high. That immediate release feeling you can get from your breakthrough medications if it's so important to you!. Anyways, I'm in pain, and I can honestly see myself on 160 mgs. of this Oxycontin, 3 x 8 hours. Am I crazy?, or is that a good number for someone who just stopped 100 mcgs. of fentynal, because I needed a dosage increase, but did not want to go any higher with Fentynal?

16 replies. Join the discussion

um for one im so sorry and u should really try something more natural because that is the most unhealthy thing ever! noot that its your fault at all but they really shouldnt be giving u all that but thats their job. i am a prop 203 patient in arizona (medical marijuana) and i also get acupuncture treatments and it has beat any med any doctors have givin me, and im not killing myself while doing it. just spreading the word about natural meds, i know some people are very against medical marijuana but it has literally saved my life. just something to think about
may luck be with you.

Thank you, but right now, this is it. I used Kratom for 2 years until it just couldn't tackle the many pain issues I have. Maybe in a year or 2, but I'm not new to this, and I need to be able to dress myself in the morning without using the floor. Thanks for your reply. Be well, Stu....

I don't think you are crazy... you know your body and what it takes to be able to move. I used to be on oxycontin too... but morphine is a lot less expensive with my insurance... plus it's helping me... just make sure you don't allow the pain to get out of control to where no dosage will help unless you get relief through iv meds at the er. Well like you said, you are not new to this.. so you know how it is... I hope you find the right dosage to help you control your pain soon :)

Thank you. I woke up this morning with pains I have not felt in months!. I'm on 90 mgs. of the Oxycontin, so I called my doctors office this morning and told the staff that I needed a major dosage adjustment. I'm going in to see my doctor tomorrow to discuss how the adjustment of this medication works. I have a great doctor, but damn!, he scares me a bit!. He's just very quiet. It's like being alone in an elevator with him when I'm in his office. He just types away, and I tend to worry too much about a disagreement, and losing him. I really thought that 90 mgs. would be more than enough to switch over from the 100 mcgs. patch. He's just being smart, and careful not to start me too high. I now realize why he started me with that extra 10 mgs. He wants to use them to make adjustments. I am not a doctor, or a pharmacist, and I sometimes forget that. I still believe that as high as it sounds, with my pain, it's going to take about 180 mgs. x 3 a day to give me optimum pain relief. Everybody be well, and Thank you for your point of view...

fentanyl is very strong. u will need something just as strong for pain relief. why did you stop the patch? im on 75mcg with 15 mg oxycodone for break thrug

You know, I think the patch is the best. I just have always had problems with the time. Now, it was time for me to add a patch to my 100 micrograms of fentynal patch, and I just didn't want to go any higher with a med that stays in the system for me, 36 hours. I changed over strictly for the control issue. With the Oxycontin at 160 mgs. 3 times per day per day, I felt like I had more control. I've got several different needs for pain medication, and I also like to have the same meds for my breakthrough pains that are really frustrating. So I think your on the best combination I've found, and wish you well with it. The only difference in our medication when I was on the patch, is the dosage. Oxycodone for breakthrough continues to be the best I've tried, and about 2 hours ago my doctor doubled my Oxycontin to 160 mgs. 3 times per day , and for now we are leaving the 30 mgs of the breakthrough Oxycodone at 6 times per day. It sounds like a lot, but there's good reason for it, and as long as you take your medication exactly as it's prescribed, you should have no issues. I am very fortunate to have a doctor that understands pain, the medication, and most of all trust. Thanks, and it's nice to hear someone on the patch not complaining about not feeling high enough. It's a great pain reliever, and if I had to change what I'm taking, I would choose the fentynal patch. Be well, Stu...

Well, I knew right away that I had made a mistake changing from the fentynal patch to Oxycontin. I am anxious to see my doctor to change back to the fentynal patch. The patch had no side effects, was easy on the stomach, and did a tremendous job of helping with the pain. I was on 100 micrograms of fentynal, and I will ask for a second patch to bring the dosage up to 125 micrograms. I think my doctor could use a little break from me, so after we straiten things out, I will offer him a a couple of months until I see him. If 160 mgs of oxycontin doesn't kill my pain, upsets my stomach, and keeps me standing for 20 minutes to pee, and sometimes cannot at all, all I can think about is getting back on the fentynal patch!. When taken as prescribed, by a good doctor, I say even if I can only get 36 hours out of the patch, it's worth it! Thanks to everyone who has been a help with any information.

Mamo, Not many states allow medical pot. I live in WI and we do not have that or I would try it. I have been on a very strict whole food organic diet adding ginger, pineapple for bromelain and all the natural things that are for pain ...but I get no relief from it.

I too am on Duragesic Patch 50 mcg. and some days need Vicoden or I cannot even move. Would prefer the medical marijuana but they don't have it here.

Rosewarrior

Hello and thank you for sharing ... I truly adore this site and I am grateful it exists.. Anyways, I was on or have been on a wide variety of medications just like every one.. .... I realized the more I took the less it worked over time. Simple that my body was building a tolerance. I have Trigeminal Neuralgia ( nerve damage in face ). It is awful, constant and never takes a day off for the past 9 years.
story short..... and what I want to share is what happened to my close friend who also is living with a chronic disease. He got to the point that he was taking so many and such a high dosage that his blood pressure dropped and he explained that he was unaware because he was all loopy from the medication but also sluggish etc... The next day he went to take a nap and if it was not for the grace of Jesus and his wife coming home early and called an ambulance he would be dead. It was not until he was in the ambulance that he flat lined. They revived him and he went on to live a normal as could be life.... BIG RED flag here is when you feel the meds are not enough or not working call your pain management Dr........ These people are the professionals and when we are honest and tell them whats up it betters our chance on living a better quality of life............. Now he takes OPANA a great drug which I take as well and he takes oxycodone. Opana is half oxycontin and half morphine ER... it works great...... I do not need break through meds... he does but Opana 3 times a day for me works.. he takes Opana and Oxycodone/oxycontin ... he is doing well too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THESE MEDICATIONS ARE NO JOKE PEOPLE ARE DIEING EVERY DAY BECAUSE OF ACCIDENTAL OVERDOSING...... PLEASE WORK WITH YOUR DR NOT ALONE 80 PERCENT AND DOCTOR 20 PERCENT....

I had a friend who took oxycontin for face and foot neuralgia and she was so out of it. She would completely forget when we had plans, forget to pick me up and many days had no clue what had taken place.

When I was on 100 mcg. of Duragesic Patch, I got so drowsy myself and slept so much. I ended up in the ICU b/c I almost stopped breathing from the suppression from the meds. Now I am on 50 mcg. of duragesic and wish I could get off. If I try to go lower I cannot move.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the fentynal patch. I have never had any problems except a small issue with the time that the fentynal patch lasts. After changing over to Oxycontin at 160 mgs, after about a week and 1/2, I can honestly say, that I have found the perfect medication for me. I am back on the fentynal patch. 100 micrograms takes away my pain, with no side effects. Now, this is the strange part of the last two weeks. My chronic pain problems were not helped at all with the high dose of the Oxycontin. 160 mgs, and very bad pain the whole time!. But the day I started back on the fentynal patch, my doctor prescribed me 4 - 100 micrograms patches to be used for 48 hours!. 4 patches on my body at one time!. Of course my insurance wouldn't pay for them, and my pharmacist who I consider a good friend was not going to fill the script, and I had no intention of putting 400 micrograms of fentynal on my body to change every 48 hours. It was Friday, and 4:45 P.M in the afternoon. So I hauled ass to my doctor and asked him to put me back on 100 micrograms every 48 hours, like I was before I made the change to Oxycontin. He said okay but you're going to go through terrible withdrawals. I told him I didn't think I would have any problems. And so here I am, pain free, and plan on staying with the fentynal patches for a long time. I am very grateful for this website, the people that took the time to reply to my posts. I still am going to check on the dosage my doctor prescribed me. Damn!!!. Was it something that I said???!!!

Do you mean me, Stuarm2? I think people have to do what they have to do. My patch does not last 36 hours either. Lately I have been taking Vicoden also which leads to stomach issues with me. I am glad you feel pain free with what you are taking now!

Rosewarrior

Hello .. I like so many have been through so many non and narcotic medications,
One that work sooo well after 2 weeks or so is OPANA,,,,,,,,,,,,, HALF OXYCODONE/ HALF MORPHONE OR MORPHINE...

IT HAS TAKEN ME 9 YEARS OF LIVING WITH THIS DISEASE TO BE BLESSED WITH THIS MED COMBO..
PLEASE TALK TO DR ABOUT IT,,, IF THEY DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT ,,, THEN ITS TIME TO SEEK A NEW DR.....

My primary medication is 100 micrograms of fentynal patches, and 6x30mg daily of oxycodone for breakthrough pain. The oxycodone has no acetaminophen, so i don't destroy my insides. My mornings are terrible from changing back to the fentynal patch. I just woke up, and I had a hard time getting dressed. I look like I'm looking for something I lost on my carpet!. I am able to stand up straight now that I have taken my breakthrough pain medication. Mornings are tough. The oxycodone is a better long term medication. I used to take vicoden too, but when I realized I would be on pain pills for a while, I changed to the oxycodone. Be well...

After reading your post about Opana, I am still open to suggestions. I'm going to do some research on the Opana. It's always good to hear somebody getting the relief from a medication that keeps popping up with good results!. Thank you...

My primary medication is 100 micrograms of fentynal patches, and 6x30mg daily of oxycodone for breakthrough pain. The oxycodone has no acetaminophen, so i don't destroy my insides. My mornings are terrible from changing back to the fentynal patch. I just woke up, and I had a hard time getting dressed. I look like I'm looking for something I lost on my carpet!. I am able to stand up straight now that I have taken my breakthrough pain medication. Mornings are tough. The oxycodone is a better long term medication. I used to take vicoden too, but when I realized I would be on pain pills for a while, I changed to the oxycodone. Be well...

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders