Detoxing from Pain Medication

I live with chronic pain and, daily, I take percoset and zanaflex. I hate the way they make me feel. Does anyone know how to detox from pain meds safely?
I've been taking them approximately two and a half years, maybe three, maybe four. Yes, four. I am a recovering alcoholic, sober six years, and I don't feel clean with this narcotic medication.
i have pain patches and ice treatment and maybe i'll need injections. I really want to do this. My fear is about the pain. It's there, underneath this goopy medication but I seek another modality. Thanks to anyone who answers this. Kate.

20 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Kate;
Just wanted to say hello and that I am here for you!!

Hugs;
Dee
p.s. raining today but going to be about 58. Happy Easter to you!

Hi Dee and thanks. I've made a schedule of when to take meds. And am cutting down slowly. But because of the pain I don't think I can entirely go off them. But I'm using ice, heat, lidoderm patches, meditation and the water in the pool as adjunct therapies. Because I totaled my car I can't get to the pool. But expect to get a car within a month. I'll see how it goes. Kate.

KATEG:

RE: GETTING OFF PAIN MEDS
If you are in chronic pain, you will need to be on some kind of medication. I got off morphine (185 mg. per day). I was like a zombie on that crap. I went cold turkey, but also kept the drugs right next to me. I quit on a Friday afternoon and was totally aware of the withdrawal symptoms. By Sunday, I felt weird and was afraid I would seize, so I took 10 mg. and that did the trick. On Monday I called my family doctor and told him what I was doing and asked him for 10 Valuim because I was squirmy, and restless. He gave them to me and suggested I get the hell away from the pain management doctor I was going to. I went to the pain mgment. doctor and he yelled at me for changing my medication without his permission!!! He gave me Norco, which, if I remember correctly is similar to Vicodin. This stuff did not work. My family doctor then gave me Percocet until I could find a decent pain mgment. doctor. I went to a physiatrist - they are rehabilitation doctors who try to get you back to normal after an injury. I told him the morphine story and he told me to get away from that pain doctor then asked if I would mind if he tried to control my pain. (He previously diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia). I said "YES!!!" He put me on Duragesic patches. We had to play around til we found the correct dosage. I've been on them for about 6 years or so. I love them. No taking pills every 4 hours. These Duragesic patches last for 72 hours. Fentanyl is the active ingredient and yes, it is a strong narcotic, but you can stay on them for a long time and they won't cause liver or kidney problems like all the other pain relievers. It took me about 2 weeks to get used to them. I love them! Drugs like Percocet, Vicodin, Oxycontin, Oxycodone, etc., in the long term will raise hell with your body - teeth problems, liver and kidney problems, addiction and having to raise the dosage, and other problems. These type of drugs are not for the long term where as the Fentanyl patches you can stay on as long as needed.
I appreciate the fact that you are a recovering alcoholic and don't "feel clean" on the drugs you are taking. But with chronic pain, you will have to be on something. One drug that helps and is not too addictive is Ultram. As I remember looking it up years ago, it tricks your mind into thinking that it is morphine, but it isn't. I used that drug for awhile and may go back on it. I've tried the injections and they didn't work for me or for anyone else I've talked to about them. I also had the nerves burned out of a portion of my lower back where the pain was the worst. I think it was called radio-frequency thermal-coagulation or ablation. Not worth the pain having it done or the pain afterward. One thing you may want to look into is the neuro stimulator. They place one or two wires in your back. (They can only do this in your lower back, I think). Then they implant a little device in your abdomen and give you a hand held device so you can turn it on or off. It blocks the pain signals to your brain. I have heard so many good things about this, I can't wait to have it done. I've been hit hard with Chronic fatigue the last month and haven't made the appointment yet, but am going to next week.
To get off the drugs you are on, you can slowly cut down. Look up the withdrawal symptoms and be aware. Also, here in New Jersey and I believe all over the country it is a state law that if a doctor gets you addicted to drugs, they HAVE to help you get off them. It's a state law or else you can sue the doctor.
I hope this helps!

Donna
sassy232@embarqmail.com

Thank you for writing back. I am familiar with a lot of the stuff you mentioned - physiatrists, implanting stimulator. My teeth are horrible and now I'm wondering if percoset could have done this. I use lidoderm patches which I'm sure are not as strong as fentynel but they help me. My pain mgmt. doctor attempted to implant the stimulator but my arthritis was so bad in my spine that he couldn't do it. The injections did nothing for me either. Today I was talking to a friend on the phone and she said she was going to try Ultram. I don't know if it's a narcotic. I realize today that I'm going down too fast on this medication and will be hit with withdrawal in a few days. So I've got a plan. And I feel like I'd like to get away from my pain management doctor also. My primary doctor is a nurse practioner who works in a doctor's office and i love her. She was the one I called when I wanted to go off the percoset. I don't think my pain mgmt. doctor wants to see me go. but that's his problem. I'm going to look into ultram and talk to my nurse practioner. Thanks again. I read your profile - what a horrible accident you were in. Sounds very traumatic. Take care. Kate.

Hi all,
I am also in chronic pain and have been for a long time. I am also on the Duragesic Fentynal Patch. It doesn't stop all of the pain but without it I feel awful and couldn't cope. I tried coming off of pain medication and actually made it, but it makes you feel so sick. If you hurt that bad you really can't come off of pain relief all together. It has to be done slowly and with the Doctors help. Pain is an awful thing, but the patch helps and some water exercise is very good. I wish you luck and will pray for you.
2344 (Valencia)

I have had a neuro stimulator implanted and it has been a big success for me. I have had several spinal surgeries that left me with chronic pain along with that dreaded sciatic pain. While the stimulator does NOT work for any of the back pain..... it sure does take away a lot of the sciatic pain. I would say it covers at least 50 % of it. If there is anyway that you can have this done..... I say DO IT ! It has been a god send for me.

Thanks but my doctor tried to implant one and couldn't because there is so much arthritis in my spine/degenerative disc disease.
i'm much better when I don't lift and move heavy things but sometimes I have to. I've triggered all my pain yesterday so should rest but haven't yet. I am so dedicated to do things perfectly. oh well it could be worse.

kate,
please don't be afraid to, or embarrassed to ask for help whenever possible. I have always lived as a " do it myself" kinda gal..... and am now paying the price. ( i have done a lot of damage to my body ). NOW I have to live with the consequences of all that. I am so sorry that the stimulator is not an option for you, but don't give up... there is something new on the medical horizon every day. Let people help you. If that is not an option, the world is not going to stop turning if something doesn't get done... unless that something is taking care of yourself. WE are the only ones that can do that... and we owe it to ourselves to do just that. Like I read somewhere else... remember when you are on an airplane... and they say that in case of an emergency to put the oxygen mask on yourself first... otherwise you cannot help anyone else. That is my new mantra....... to put my own mask on first ! Don't give up !

there are several things i want to let you know-despite all the "puritan propaganda",,first--we live in a imperfect world..as most on this board can tell you about their bodies paticular imperfections..
--and,as far as you being a recovering alcaholic-we all are..it's a matter of control..if you can't get through the day,or get out of bed,and don't have a medical reason(pain usually) then,you have a problem with alcahol...when you spend food money for booze,then yes..BUT! i read a great quote from ben franklin,yea-poor richard himself,that read;
"BEER IS PROOF THERE IS A GOD,AND HE WANTS US TO BE HAPPY."

coming from appalatia,where the stereotype has us lounging around a log cabin,sipping from a jug of -shine..
what i've noticed is where they forget about how hard they work us,-till they break our backs,and the only pain releif we could find was in a bottle,-cause book learned doctors don't go back too far into them mountains-even still today..
-so,if i had a choice of NOTHING-or a bottle,well,...
--that's how my family's history has gone
i've also heard another one..
"I'D RATHER HAVE A BOTTLE IN FRONT OF ME,THAN A FRONTAL LABOTAMY!!
something to think about..--the labels some folks like to put on people usually -cause their hiding something?!?
addiction,in any form-be it a pill,a baggie of green weeds,or pills,overuse of anything is hard on your body,but when they are jailing people who are trying to self-medicate-is injustice at it's higest level..
jailing someone who is sick,and needs medical attention is morally wrong..
--however,when their stupidity costs other people's lives-drunk drivers,they need to go away ,and not be able to buy their way out of it!!
---i'll get off my pulpit now..--

so,do not let ANY doctor tell you what drugs to take!..they work for YOU!! if your med's aren't working for you,or make you uncomfortable-especially when the doctor makes you uncomfortable,find you one that WILL work with you,and find something that works for you..sounds like you found one of those doctors with a "god" complex,who thinks he can order you around..my doctor and i come to a agreement when my drugs work for me,and what either upsets my stomach-makes me dizzy,etc
--the biggest problem is where the local d,e,a scare doctors who write prescriptions for pain,then doc's start trying to feed you stuff that doesn't workand they get caught in the middle of trying to make the cops happy,and their patients,without getting the "dr feelgood" label..

find a doc who will listen to you,not the other way around..don't let them put labels,like "alcaholic","addict" on you..find a happy medium..there is no reason to live in pain..it's called "quality of life"..living with daily pain is the largest challange i've ever had to deal with..you can't let them "zombie" you out,where the whole day's fuzzy,but you don't have to live in pain either.. YOU are in charge of your healthcare,doctors are ADVISORS,not dictators!!

Amen to that. I don't care what kind of medication I receive for the pain. Because I do whatever I have to not to hurt everyday. I have on a patch (75mcgs) I take the generic for Zanaflex, which isn't as strong as the Zanaflex, but it does the job at night when I take it. I don't take them all day as they are prescribed. I take Neurontin and something for this mouth allergy that the Dr's don;t have clue is. They call it "Burning mouth syndrome"

Yes we will have withdrawal symptoms from all this medication, but do it gradually, under a Drs care.

Take care and God will be with you

formerly known as 2344 (Valencia)

I feel just like you. I will take whatever, do whatever I have to not to hurt while I am on this earth. People do what they have to.

take it slow and easy. give your pain meds to someone you trust so your not tempted to grab a pill when you are detoxing.
Cut your dose in half for a few days, then reduce again by half for a few days.
stay away from stressful situations during this time and if you need meds, ask your trusted person to give you a half of whatever it is you are taking.
your doctor prescribed your meds for a reason (to reduce your pain) - you should consult your doctor and let he/she know that you want to stop the medicine and they can help with the side effects.
Good luck..... :-)

hello again..the windbag..and to all who muddle through my postings-and can actually catch kinda what i'm trying to say-as i'm not that good at getting my thoughts -using the written word--i'm a better orator than author,but this medium is what we have to work with,and i do my best..to those i offend,my most humble apologies..just trying to tell my version of the truth-because truth depends on prespective..the ritch people sitting atop their ivory towers don't see the dangers those who live below face when stuff starts falling..
-----ANYWAY, the way i keep myself from easily grabbing for the bottle-be it pills or booze,i keep it where i can get it,but not within arms reach..i've even gotten a small SAFE-,with a digital keypad,keeping the "good" stuff away from temptation,but where i can get them when it's time for them..
-also,got a calander-the big ones where you mark important dates,like refill dates,doc appts,and things like that..
-of course,it's not perfect,as my pain isnt always at a given level-unlike their dosing scedule,without anything for "break through" pain-like when i need to get out ,and "be somebody",i get more pain.. i can't just sit on th sofa/bed ALL th time,but that's when it hurts less..
-the calander keeps me on track for when i'm been taking more-on bad days,or when i get closer to NOT running out b4 it's refill time,and get to do those days without any med's..those days "are SO mutch fun"..not..!
--here's wishing you and yours the best;
windtalkerr

I have been on pain meds for 3 years and know am coming off them I am scared of the pain only cause im in so much pain with pain meds I started out with lg amount fetnel and 650 mg vicodens and started coming off slow now im down 2 12mg fetnel and 5 mg oxycodone within 2 weeks I will not be on anything and am scared to death of how I will feel I have to work and climb a lot of stairs all the time. But I have to let my body rest and my liver to heal from all the strong narcodecs I have used in the last 3 years. Good luck to you let us know how you make out.

HI, I have never been on the pains meds that long so it may be different for you but I had to get off of them in the past and I wean off slowly, all the while trying to eat a really good diet(lots of fruits and veggies), took vitamins and drank a ton of water.May not be the official way but it worked for me.I have been on them again for months now and that is how I would do it again.It is not easy.

Question for you.... Are the percocet still working for you after so much time???Like I said I have been on them a few months and I struggle with not feeling them help me much now.Just wondering.
Take care...

The best thing to do is to speak to your doctor. Getting off meds, especially narcotics that you have been taking for such a long time, can be very tricky.

Good luck!

What is Zanaflex? Dr. prescribed this for me and I'm not sure what it is or how it is supposed to work. Anyone know.

http://drugfreehaven.blogspot.com/

Best place to talk freely to someone who has been through what you are going through now!

Someone asked what Zanaflex was and if it works. My response is a big NO. They are supposed to help anyone with nerve damage, however, they are just the latest drug pushed by countless doctors who think they know what they are talking about when it comes to damaged nerves. I am sure all of you who responded to this discussion have been in countless numbers of doctors offices and see the "models" , well dressed carrying their suitcase full of drugs or wheeling in their luggage full of the latest and greatest drug. If you feel that pain management doctors are nothing but drug pushers, your absolutely wrong. It is the Drug Company representatives pushing the drugs on the doctors with promises of miracles. You know the drug representatives, the "models" with the fancy suits or designer dresses that come and go at all the doctors offices pushing drugs, that's what they do for a living and by the looks of their fancy clothes and even fancier automobiles, they are pretty damn good at what they do for a living.........pushing drugs on doctors who turn around and push them on to their patients. Many doctors are provided with Kickbacks, yes money, dollars, cash for pushing the latest drug being touted by the drug representatives. The more scripts they write (Zanaflex) the more they stand to make out. You may think I am crazy, but it goes on all the time. Where do you think the doctors get all their free samples they give you while writing you a script for the same drug. It's all about money and less about patient care.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders